Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise seems somewhat obtrusive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wind noise?

Some people have an issue with that, I think. RPM made this:
Model 3 Windshield Wind Noise Reduction Kit
I got this kit last week and installed. Today was my first opportunity to drive the car above 30 mph. My noise was noticeably reduced. It’s still there but a lot less than before. Based on the price and ease of this kit, i would highly recommend it.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker and Ulmo
The leading edge of the roof glass is slightly higher than the windshield on the passenger side for both my car and my girlfriend’s, most easily noticeable by running a finger along the gap. However, we’re both leery of having Tesla service mess with it as we don’t believe we’re hearing a lot of wind noise. We do hear tire noise though, obviously much worse on some stretches of roadway versus others. Will be going on first many-hour road trip this week, so we’ll see if wind noise is an issue.

I've found that the windows that automatically roll down a bit and then roll back up when you close the door, aren't always making a good seal. A little tap on the window control does wonders for wind noise for me.
You may want to try re-calibrating the windows (roll window down keeping the button pressed, keep pressed for 5 more seconds once it's fully closed; then roll up with the button pressed, and again keep pressed for 5 more seconds once the window is closed).

In my car I do hear some wind noise (seems to be most pronounced when there are gusty winds from the side), but the road noise is much more noticeable (and frankly a bit too loud for a car in this price classe).

Last edited:
Some model 3's seem to have the wind noise, and others quiet as can be.

The aftermarket channel filler is pretty cleaver.

You can check to see if it would be worth while by simply putting on a strip of painters tape over the gap. If that makes it quieter, then the filler gasket would probably be a good solution.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Snerruc
I finally received the wind reduction kit from RPM. I have to say honestly, even though I kind that company, that it didn’t seem to do anything at all. If anything, I’m noticing the wind even MORE. It’s really frustrating. Loudest is from the upper passenger side corner.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I found that there was wind noise coming from the roof. It wasn't obtrusive, but it was there. I installed the RPM thingy and it was reduced considerably, but still there. The tire and road noise is now louder than the roof noise. The overall noise is at the level of an ICE ultra luxury sedan - not bad!

I’m really enjoying the M3 so far, but I feel like this car is pretty noisy at speeds above 60 mph, specifically out of the upper right side of the car. For a $60k car, I guess my expectation is for it to ride a little more silently.

Unsure if that’s a normal thing for all M3s. All these stories I’ve read over the last few months about M3 production quality issues has me wondering if mine has a defect every time I come across something bothersome.

I've noticed this too, but part of it is that the engine and drivetrain are dead silent, and with little tire noise, the wind noise really pops out at you. I'm going to try the wind noise reduction kit below.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
Is it normal to hear a little bit of wind noise (wind howling) when driving above say 55? Can hear it sometimes when I am driving. Everything seems to be sealed on the driver side. Just want to know if other people experience the same thing.

Did any of you that spent $30 on 1/4in neoprene cord, renamed "Model 3 Windshield Wind Noise Reduction Kit", realize that the same "kit" can he had on Amazon for about $1? Seems all they did was buy neoprene cord, measure out a specific length, glue the ends together, put it in a plastic bag with appropriate label, and mark up about 3000%. PT Barnum was never more correct.

Did any of you that spent $30 on 1/4in neoprene cord, renamed "Model 3 Windshield Wind Noise Reduction Kit", realize that the same "kit" can he had on Amazon for about $1? Seems all they did was buy neoprene cord, measure out a specific length, glue the ends together, put it in a plastic bag with appropriate label, and mark up about 3000%. PT Barnum was never more correct.

Where would you buy it for that cheap (in non-bulk quantity)? If you have a cheaper source than the one below, please post here!

https://www.amazon.com/CleverDeligh...8&qid=1537994325&sr=1-14&keywords=rubber+cord

On my first day of ownership, I was under the impression that the exposed channels between the roof panes do not whistle at speed. I was wrong, it was raining and that must have either prevented or masked the whistle. I drove the car on a sunny day and the whistle is noticeable and pretty annoying. I can't believe they would leave something so basic essentially unfinished.

I'm going to try this neoprene cord everywhere I can fit it, I'm pretty sure it will help. I guess those here who tried it and said it did not help are hearing other types of road noise.

The whistle I'm trying to get rid of is exactly what I hear from the Thule roof bars on one of my cars when the bars' T channel is exposed. The respective channel has a rubber gasket that's supposed to cover the channel when nothing's attached to the bars. Without it, the air inside the channel starts resonating and it's a stinkin' woodwind concerto from 40mph up.

tbar.jpeg

If you could provide a link to the cord you found that would be great. Thanks

Wow...so after WEEKS of being annoyed to hell by the horrible wind noise, even after buying and installing the rubber wind reducer gasket from RPM Tesla, I finally decided to have someone drive in the car with me and try to pinpoint where the sound was coming from while I was driving (since it was clearly coming from the right side of the car).

Soon after, I discovered the reason...the triangular piece of plastic that sits right next to the side view mirror and in front of the passenger side window is not fully attached! The upper half of it was not popped into place correctly, so it’s just been hanging slightly off the car which has been causing all the wind noise. The defect was subtle enough to not be noticed unless you’re looking very closely right at it.

I had heard the stories about Tesla’s poor quality control, but I figured that wouldn’t happen to me...

Wow...so after WEEKS of being annoyed to hell by the horrible wind noise, even after buying and installing the rubber wind reducer gasket from RPM Tesla, I finally decided to have someone drive in the car with me and try to pinpoint where the sound was coming from while I was driving (since it was clearly coming from the right side of the car).

Soon after, I discovered the reason...the triangular piece of plastic that sits right next to the side view mirror and in front of the passenger side window is not fully attached! The upper half of it was not popped into place correctly, so it’s just been hanging slightly off the car which has been causing all the wind noise. The defect was subtle enough to not be noticed unless you’re looking very closely right at it.

I had heard the stories about Tesla’s poor quality control, but I figured that wouldn’t happen to me...

@vikefan Do you have a pic of the mirror/plastic?