Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Down, I didn't do it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my passenger window put itself down 100%. In the rain. My wife came home and said, "hey why is [name of car]'s window down." From the looks of the inside it hadn't been down for a very long time, but it was still plenty wet. Deeply concerning.

That was the second time it has done so. First time it wasn't raining. I have "calibrated" the window for whatever that's worth. V40.1.

Several times I've inadvertently fat-fingered the pax window button when opening the drivers door to exit. It drops the window just as you describe and takes surprisingly little pressure to do this. I think there are other threads about this.

I've had this happen on the Model S. Opening the door normally causes the window to lower by a fraction of an inch so it's not touching the rubber seal around the top. After the door is closed, the window rolls up again by the same amount to the fully sealed position.

When the problem occurred, the second part of that equation was missing: the window didn't raise automatically when the door closed. So every time the door was opened, the window would get slightly lower. I remember being very surprised to see the window down by an inch or more, then realized I had opened and closed the passenger doors a couple of times before leaving the car.

There is a calibration procedure to follow, where you raise the window all the way up, then hold the button down and keep holding it for a few seconds after the window is fully down, then raise the window back up and keep holding the button up for a few seconds after it hits the top. That usually worked to restore the auto-lower-and-raise functionality.

In my case, the front passenger window developed another problem where it would only go halfway up and then reverse and go all the way down again. The service center ended up replacing the window regulator under warranty. Haven't had any problem with the window since.

Reactions: cwerdna
Yes, I had this happen twice. I figured the passenger windows wasn't properly adjusted and in the summer heat it triggered the emergency lower, so what I did was raise and lower it all the way many times to "break it in". I think the pressure sensor was a little out of adjustment. Anyway, the multiple openings and closings fixed the problem. Also, as others have noted, it's very easy to elbow the window controls when you press the open button on the drivers door. I have lowered my windows accidently this way. Fortunately, I've catch it both times.

Several times I've inadvertently fat-fingered the pax window button when opening the drivers door to exit. It drops the window just as you describe and takes surprisingly little pressure to do this. I think there are other threads about this.

That's exactly it. Happened to me once and I assumed it was a bug/malfunction. It's all about where you put your hand as you open the drivers door. Second time it happened I realized what I'd done.

Happened to me a couple times too, rear window. The app needs to have a check to see if windows are ajar

Love the idea. Check window status from the app and close remotely.

Same thing has happened to me, at 1st I thought maybe accidentally pushing the window buttons, but had happened 4-6 times, so I did the calibration procedure. This am came back to my car (parked outside) and the passenger front window was completely down. Glad it wasn't snowing.
Think I'll be calling service center.

Reactions: Ruben010101
Yes it has happened to me. Conversely it will sometimes not lower properly when opening. There is some issue with module that controls the passenger side. As this only occurs on that side. I had mine repaired, but not sure if really fixed it yet.