Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tint with frameless windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From some earlier, I remember that you shouldn't retract windows for couple weeks after tint, and that had some problems with vehicles that have frameless windows as they automatically retract when opening the door. Is that still issue? Is the material improved to overcome that? Or you can tell the car not to retract?

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
From some earlier, I remember that you shouldn't retract windows for couple weeks after tint, and that had some problems with vehicles that have frameless windows as they automatically retract when opening the door. Is that still issue? Is the material improved to overcome that? Or you can tell the car not to retract?
Kinda hard to tell car not to retract, which would mean never opening doors or never closing them (how would you install the tint?).

Not sure how this works on frameless where opening the door retracts the glass like Teslas!

My tint installer was familiar with frameless and retracting windows . He made sure the tint was properly applied and used a hand held torch to heat the edges. He also used a file and dressed the edges at the top of the glass to put a little taper on the edge. Absolutely had no problem with the tint on my model S.

Ditto to everything everybody already mentioned, but only adding that my installer (who also did my 2002 Subaru in... 2002...) also gave me a great tint that never experienced any issues with frameless windows. I'm still driving that car every day, so almost 16 years later and still looks great.

Just finished up getting my car tinted, and after getting into the car and driving home I see a noticeable line/markings where the bottom of the window retracts into the door frame. Is that something that dissipates after a few hours/days or does that mean the installer didn't do it correctly?

Hoping it's the former, since the installer has done plenty of Teslas...

Just finished up getting my car tinted, and after getting into the car and driving home I see a noticeable line/markings where the bottom of the window retracts into the door frame. Is that something that dissipates after a few hours/days or does that mean the installer didn't do it correctly?

Hoping it's the former, since the installer has done plenty of Teslas...
By line, you mean untinted area?

I don’t see any bright along the bottom.

5D4_2014.jpg
5D4_2011.jpg