Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield crack repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi cracked my Y windshield today its around 12-14 inches long on driver side whats the experience can it be repaired or entire windshield needs to be replaced
Do i have to go through SC or any outside vendor can do it
Car is only 7 months old is it Tesla issue with glass or i am just unlucky :)

Thanks

How did it crack? Did it just happen or did a rock/object hit it? Kinda hard to blame Tesla if an object hit it lol. From what I have read the replacement depends on you / the service Center. Some SCs apparently will tell you to go to 3rd party (saw it here with a local owner and the SC).

Reactions: banks71
A gravel truck changed lanes in front of me today and I received a gift in the form of a rock at freeway speed. Have a nice 14-15 inch crack. Was submitting a claim online through Farmers Insurance and noticed they partner with Safelite. Have not read good experiences and would rather have the SC handle the windshield replacement with OEM glass. How does one get SC to do the work and pay through insurance? Also, since I have dashcam video, will insurance be able to recoup deductible from the gravel company? It happened late in the day so I haven’t had a chance to speak with an adjuster yet but these are some questions I have on my mind. Thanks for any advice or tips.

When I had my windshield repaired last year, I started the route with Safelite, they said they can repair the glass but at that time they were not certified with the re-calibration of the safety systems yet. I ended up at the SC for repair. Safelite would be an easier route since Tesla does not go through insurance yet, you would have to pay Tesla and send the bill back to your insurance. If you have the dashcam, send it to the insurance and they will decide to pursue the trucking firm or not.

Was the gravel truck uncovered? Often the truck will have following warnings. Were there any on this truck?

No warnings that I could make out. It was a sand and gravel truck and appears uncovered (from earlier in the video). Their lane was apparently exit only and changed lanes in front of me and then something hit the windshield a moment later. Sucks too because I was just about to get out of its draft. I usually avoid being in the wake of 18-wheelers and big semis but I wasn’t fast enough this time.

D2DE91DE-1D5E-4A36-B237-6C46C86C241B.png

When I had my windshield repaired last year, I started the route with Safelite, they said they can repair the glass but at that time they were not certified with the re-calibration of the safety systems yet. I ended up at the SC for repair. Safelite would be an easier route since Tesla does not go through insurance yet, you would have to pay Tesla and send the bill back to your insurance. If you have the dashcam, send it to the insurance and they will decide to pursue the trucking firm or not.
Thanks, @chan_man. I just got off the phone with Farmers claim intake person. They said I don't have to use Satellite but we had trouble patching through to two local Tesla SC on the call. No surprise we couldn't get through to Tesla by phone. I may have to simply drive down to the SC to get things rolling. I provided the company name of the gravel truck, as well as the license plate. My comprehensive deductible is only $100 but it would be nice if I didn't have to pay that.

The calibration is definitely of concern and reason why I'd rather have Tesla (or their recommended approved shops handle it). It will be more hassle to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed through insurance but that's fine if it has to be that way. I think I'll wait to speak to the assigned adjuster to better understand the process. I would submit the windshield appointment through the app but can't right now because there's already a service request scheduled to fix a "passenger safety restraint fault" that appeared last week and parts are already ordered for that.

We have a roadtrip scheduled next week and were looking forward to taking the Y. I hope the crack doesn't get worse and expand more during this heat. Right now the crack is 18-19". I doubt we can get the windshield replaced before the trip, unless I go with Safelite or something and do the calibration later. My other concern is reading about Safelite not using OEM glass, and even if they do there’s most likely a delay in getting the part so I may as well have Tesla handle it all.

The point of impact is confined to the windshield but was close to the A-pillar. At least I don't have to deal with more repair work to the body.

2F0F2EE3-983B-4218-A9ED-AED556B36E66.jpeg
4F3D0C0D-1EF0-4A96-8EC2-7C0CB61F79A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Wondering if there's an update? Would like to know if Tesla Ins covers this. How much it was? and What current turnaround times are?

Mine just cracked due to a truck in front of me who didn't have their loads covered or secured. So frustrating.

It has officially been two months now and I’m still waiting for a windshield to arrive. The crack has grown to over 24-inches now but stabilizing and we took an 800-mile roadtrip with the crack. Fortunately no catastrophic failure yet.
Wow, I guess I had good fortune. I was able to schedule a windshield replacement just a week in advance in Rocklin, and had it replaced yesterday.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Wow, I guess I had good fortune. I was able to schedule a windshield replacement just a week in advance in Rocklin, and had it replaced yesterday.
I knew I should’ve went to Rocklin. They always took good care of me. Insurance set me up with the new Tesla SC at Arden and I said sure, why not. Now I know why not. A few weeks ago I asked Arden if transferring to Rocklin would make a difference and they claimed no. Not sure what to do at this point. I had Arden confirm twice that a windshield was really ordered and they said yes.

In over 40 years of driving, I only replaced one windshield. Yet, in my 1.8 years with the MY, I have replaced it now twice. Both times it was a stray stone, first on a highway and then on a back road. Safelight did the work and seemed to do a fine job. It probably took 3 weeks to a month for the replacement windshields to arrive.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
In over 40 years of driving, I only replaced one windshield. Yet, in my 1.8 years with the MY, I have replaced it now twice. Both times it was a stray stone, first on a highway and then on a back road. Safelight did the work and seemed to do a fine job. It probably took 3 weeks to a month for the replacement windshields to arrive.
Lived in Colorado for 4 years, 3 of the 4 i had to have a windshield replacement. This was with a BMW and Audi. Stuff happens.

If you driove opn the highway, chance are good that you will need to get the windshield replaced, doesnt matter what you drive. I think almost every car that I have owned had the windshield replaced at least once, so glad my insurance covers 100%.

I had a rock crack mine coming back from our July 4th road trip. Contacted Amica, which contracts with Safelite, and told them I wanted Tesla to replace it. They started the claims process and I created a service request with Tesla. A week later I had a new windshield installed, I paid the bill and then got it tinted. Uploaded my receipts to Amica and had a check in hand in two days.