Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield wipers come on when I go into Cruise Control.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone on here posted that there were water or road oil spots on their windshield even after a wash and when the sun or a light hit it just right, the water/oil spots would show and "trick" the camera into thinking there was water in the windshield. They used a chemical guys windshield compound and cleaned it thoroughly and it stopped happening.

Someone on here posted that there were water or road oil spots on their windshield even after a wash and when the sun or a light hit it just right, the water/oil spots would show and "trick" the camera into thinking there was water in the windshield. They used a chemical guys windshield compound and cleaned it thoroughly and it stopped happening.
No: the problem is with the software, plain and simple. If it can’t handle anything less than “clean room” conditions, then it’s not correct for a car.

No: the problem is with the software, plain and simple. If it can’t handle anything less than “clean room” conditions, then it’s not correct for a car.
Regardless what the problem is, software or not, it is still a problem, and it's too late for "correct" as the hardware is out there and it is what it is. I'm simply showing what made it stop for some people, waiting for an update to fix it might not be what some are willing to do and they would be happy to try something that makes it stop.

As pointed out, this has been how it's been for a long while and no sign of changing. Keeping the area clean is a common cause and easy to address, while suggesting it's software means people will probably wait forever if Tesla has zero intention to make the sensitivity lower or adjustable. For the software, erring on an unnecessary wipe may be worth it even though it's annoying to the user.

When I engage cruise control or auto pilot on my 2022 Model 3 LR the wipers go on . The button to turn them off doesn't work unless I disengage CC or AP.
also, while in cruise control....a lot of alarms that I am going off the road when everything is fine. Mike
You are not alone, Mahone82!
I have exactly the same issue. I thought my wipers turned on because I activated Autopilot at night, even if the roads are dry. Recently, I discovered it’s when I activate cruise control at night, even on dry roads, too. Wipers will start 90 % of the time at night even if the road is dry. So annoying. Takes away all the pleasure of using CC and AP. And it’s a big distraction when driving. Trying to disengage the wipers takes your attention off the road. When wipers don’t start right away upon engaging CC or AP, they’ll sometimes start when a car passes me and stay on for quite a while, even if the road is dry. Sometimes wipers will stop automatically after 10 or 15 minutes but most times not.
During the day, this rarely happens except sometimes when going under an overpass. It seems like the shadow tricks the system into believing it’s nighttime. In this cirumstance, the wipers will usually turn off almost as soon as they turned on.
Could it be the automatic wiper sensor that is defective and mistakes the darkness for moisture???
I would really like to have this issue resolved cause it’s a real pain in the a$$.

You are not alone, Mahone82!
I have exactly the same issue. I thought my wipers turned on because I activated Autopilot at night, even if the roads are dry. Recently, I discovered it’s when I activate cruise control at night, even on dry roads, too. Wipers will start 90 % of the time at night even if the road is dry. So annoying. Takes away all the pleasure of using CC and AP. And it’s a big distraction when driving. Trying to disengage the wipers takes your attention off the road. When wipers don’t start right away upon engaging CC or AP, they’ll sometimes start when a car passes me and stay on for quite a while, even if the road is dry. Sometimes wipers will stop automatically after 10 or 15 minutes but most times not.
During the day, this rarely happens except sometimes when going under an overpass. It seems like the shadow tricks the system into believing it’s nighttime. In this cirumstance, the wipers will usually turn off almost as soon as they turned on.
Could it be the automatic wiper sensor that is defective and mistakes the darkness for moisture???
I would really like to have this issue resolved cause it’s a real pain in the a$$.
There is no wiper sensor. The front camera is used to detect rain. A common cause of mistaken rain detection is dirty glass. Note your glass may have water marks even if you have "cleaned" it and it may also have it on the inside. You may need to thoroughly clean the camera area of the windshield (actually using glass cleaner and towel, not just using the wipers and the car's wiper fluid).

The glass may also be dirty on the inside, in which case you would have to remove the housing to clean in the inside of the glass. Some people have gotten the SC to cover that cleaning under warranty.

If there are water marks or a haze, typically you can see it by shining a light at the glass and looking at it at an angle. It's possible at night when the camera gain is boosted, the water marks become more apparent to the camera.

It's also possible at night there are some light sparkles that the camera mistakes as rain, so that would be unrelated to cleanliness of glass. Some have reported during the days some light patterns does cause wiper to activate even with clean glass.

There is no wiper sensor. The front camera is used to detect rain. A common cause of mistaken rain detection is dirty glass. Note your glass may have water marks even if you have "cleaned" it and it may also have it on the inside. You may need to thoroughly clean the camera area of the windshield (actually using glass cleaner and towel, not just using the wipers and the car's wiper fluid).

The glass may also be dirty on the inside, in which case you would have to remove the housing to clean in the inside of the glass. Some people have gotten the SC to cover that cleaning under warranty.

If there are water marks or a haze, typically you can see it by shining a light at the glass and looking at it at an angle. It's possible at night when the camera gain is boosted, the water marks become more apparent to the camera.

It's also possible at night there are some light sparkles that the camera mistakes as rain, so that would be unrelated to cleanliness of glass. Some have reported during the days some light patterns does cause wiper to activate even with clean glass.
While it certainly is possible that dirty glass can trigger false wipes, the bigger culprit is faulty software: the interpretation of the software in inconsistent and prone to mistakes.

My personal response to this is that I recently had my windshield replaced by Tesla. On the very day that this was done, I had false wipes on the drive home to the point where I had to disengage AP and turn off the Autowipers. I am not a fanatic about it, but I keep my car pretty clean, so my windshield is not dirty that much. But I still get false starts all the time on AP.

Conversely, when it was drizzling the other day, my windshield very much needed to have the wipers run, but the system did NOT trigger. I waited as long as I could to see how far it would go, but finally had to manually trigger it (with a push of the button on the stalk) to wipe and the Autowipers pretty much took over from there.

This feature has never worked well - even Elon has admitted that it is something they have let go too long and need to address.

While it certainly is possible that dirty glass can trigger false wipes, the bigger culprit is faulty software: the interpretation of the software in inconsistent and prone to mistakes.

My personal response to this is that I recently had my windshield replaced by Tesla. On the very day that this was done, I had false wipes on the drive home to the point where I had to disengage AP and turn off the Autowipers. I am not a fanatic about it, but I keep my car pretty clean, so my windshield is not dirty that much. But I still get false starts all the time on AP.
Sure, software certainly can use some improvement, but the action that seems to result in the most improvement that a user can do themselves, is ensuring glass is actually clean. I've seen cases where people insist their glass was already clean, but when they end up actually looking at it close, there are still improvements to be had from further cleaning or sometimes the glass is dirty on the inside.
Conversely, when it was drizzling the other day, my windshield very much needed to have the wipers run, but the system did NOT trigger. I waited as long as I could to see how far it would go, but finally had to manually trigger it (with a push of the button on the stalk) to wipe and the Autowipers pretty much took over from there.

This feature has never worked well - even Elon has admitted that it is something they have let go too long and need to address.
For drizzling there are two factors at play. One is that many times the camera area actually remains mostly free of rain, even when the windshield has rain. Given the camera can't see the rest of the windshield, it won't activate the wipers.

The other is that supposedly Tesla relies on AI sensitivity adjustment, which supposedly changes behavior depending on how often you use the stalk for a manual wipe. However this has worked poorly, if at all. Tesla would benefit a lot by simply offering a manual sensitivity toggle, which many cars have. People have different preferences, so it's not possible to please everyone if the sensitivity is not adjustable. For example, I much prefer the wipers activate as little as possible, given it's trivial to do a manual swipe. However others prefer their windshield absolutely clear all the time.

Sure, software certainly can use some improvement, but the action that seems to result in the most improvement that a user can do themselves, is ensuring glass is actually clean. I've seen cases where people insist their glass was already clean, but when they end up actually looking at it close, there are still improvements to be had from further cleaning or sometimes the glass is dirty on the inside.
This is a motor vehicle that is outdoors. The level of “clean” you are describing is not a reasonable expectation of the windscreen of an automobile. It should be able to tolerate “clean to the naked eye” - not clean room level of cleanliness.

This is a motor vehicle that is outdoors. The level of “clean” you are describing is not a reasonable expectation of the windscreen of an automobile. It should be able to tolerate “clean to the naked eye” - not clean room level of cleanliness.
You can talk all you want about what it "should" do, but it hasn't done that for years and no sign that will necessarily change anytime soon. I'm just pointing out people have found improvements by cleaning the glass to that level and it's not that hard to do. "Clean to the naked eye" many times means water marks that are visible to the camera. This typically becomes quite apparent if you shine a bright light at an angle at the glass.

And for the marks inside the glass, that's typically a cleaning that will last a long time as many times the car came out the factory that way (or it happened because the windshield was replaced, which is also another common factor that correlates to poor auto wiper performance). And for people where the primary problem is dry wipes in dry weather, many times cleaning out water marks on outside can still last a long time because it will be a long while before they see any rain.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem with wipers coming on every time I engage cruise control. I have a 2023 standard Model 3 and this issue just started today, after two months of ownership. Windshield is clean. "Auto" should recognize that there's no rain falling, right? And yet, under a cloudless sky, I had to abandon cruise control because the wipers would not stay off.

Yup. It just started happening in my car....just within the last week! It's so weird that it happened with others, like, months or more ago. I've had my car since December 2019. I even tried to schedule a service visit. Cuz, it just made no sense that I couldn't engage cruise control (a.k.a. basic autopilot :rolleyes:) without the wipers coming on. The service person was nice enough to reply.....essentially, if what they said is correct, Tesla transferred to a vision-based system which uses the front camera instead of parking sensors. They said they've had a few owners who've told them the wipers have gotten more sensitive (the windshield camera has "ultra high sensitivity"). Luckily, the wipers are in Beta.....so, I hope they realize the Beta should go bye-bye. If I'm on a hundreds-of-miles trip, I sure do want to use cruise control. And if it's not raining, spitting, misting, bug-splat-showering, etc. the wipers should not come on. And I should not have to stop every few miles, to clean off the windshield during the trip. OK; rant over.:p I'll do a super clean on the windshield, especially "behind" the rear view mirror, to see if that works. ☮️

Yup. It just started happening in my car....just within the last week! It's so weird that it happened with others, like, months or more ago. I've had my car since December 2019. I even tried to schedule a service visit. Cuz, it just made no sense that I couldn't engage cruise control (a.k.a. basic autopilot :rolleyes:) without the wipers coming on. The service person was nice enough to reply.....essentially, if what they said is correct, Tesla transferred to a vision-based system which uses the front camera instead of parking sensors. They said they've had a few owners who've told them the wipers have gotten more sensitive (the windshield camera has "ultra high sensitivity"). Luckily, the wipers are in Beta.....so, I hope they realize the Beta should go bye-bye. If I'm on a hundreds-of-miles trip, I sure do want to use cruise control. And if it's not raining, spitting, misting, bug-splat-showering, etc. the wipers should not come on. And I should not have to stop every few miles, to clean off the windshield during the trip. OK; rant over.:p I'll do a super clean on the windshield, especially "behind" the rear view mirror, to see if that works. ☮️
Yup. Cleaning the windshield worked. Thanks to all who posted solutions. The main thing is: cruise control should never be used while it's raining; it's just not safe. Yes, there are some people who say that's not true. However, the vast majority of recognized authorities say it is true. So, why did Tesla think that the wipers should be "linked to" cruise control? Those two things should not be on at the same time. ☮️

Yup. Cleaning the windshield worked. Thanks to all who posted solutions. The main thing is: cruise control should never be used while it's raining; it's just not safe. Yes, there are some people who say that's not true. However, the vast majority of recognized authorities say it is true. So, why did Tesla think that the wipers should be "linked to" cruise control? Those two things should not be on at the same time. ☮️
They are linked to the Tesla vision on cameras. I assume because there are no other sensors so the cameras have to stay clean for all active safety systems to function as they are the only way the car gets data. Perhaps it's more sensitive on autopilot to ensure vision is clear, but it also could be just the legacy code used for autopilot is no longer being updated in favor of single stack which may likely replace it sooner or later, and that's how it was programmed some time ago.

"Don't use cruise control in rain" is absolutely true for "dumb" cruise control on cars with no traction control/traction loss detection. The cruise control would detect a slowing from any traction loss due to wheelspin, and increase power with very bad results.

I've used cruise in rain on my Tesla and modern cars with ABS/Traction Control and never had an issue other than disengagements from detected wheelspin (never on the Tesla, and always along with an accompanying warning).

Although in certain situations, abruptly cutting power to 0% can be very bad, ask any early 911 Turbo owner.

As for cruise and wipers, I had some dry wipes the other night on a bug-encrusted windshield after about 4 hours of driving in darkness. It seemed to occur more on roads with a lot of oncoming headlights than more lightly occupied roads.

As for cruise and wipers, I had some dry wipes the other night on a bug-encrusted windshield after about 4 hours of driving in darkness. It seemed to occur more on roads with a lot of oncoming headlights than more lightly occupied roads.
From all the posts I've read here and elsewhere, about the only common trigger is that it happens in a Tesla.

For me, about the only place it still happens regularly is in one specific spot on the freeway on my commute home and only in the 3-4 right lanes: it doesn't do it if I am in the carpool or left lane (sometimes in the #2 lane, but not consistently).

I would LOVE to know what this can be attributed to!