Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winrun R330 tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having just recently driven a 75 with Michelin primacy as a loan car, the noise difference compared to the Goodyears is very striking. Grip and longevity on the Goodyears is great, but not the noise level! I have about another 15000 km in my Goodyears but seriously thinking of swapping over.
I think I'm in the same loaner today. Black 75 with Primacy 3 tyres.
Noticeably quieter, but it could be the single motor vs my 75D.
They tell me I need new tyres (38000kms) so I've really got to start thinking now...

I think I'm in the same loaner today. Black 75 with Primacy 3 tyres.
Noticeably quieter, but it could be the single motor vs my 75D.
They tell me I need new tyres (38000kms) so I've really got to start thinking now...
Michelin primacy 3ST. ( the ST stands for "Silence tuned"). I can attest that they are indeed very quiet as I have swapped over. I measured a 3-4 db improvement, which is significant, using a crude audiometer on my iPhone ( app).
They also hold the road beautifully and are supposed to be "green" implying a long life high silica compound. Not available in the USA. Can't comment on grip in the wet - it has not been raining. Very happy, 2000km in.

I've used the WinRun R330 tyres on both S85D and X90D. They are great. One of the few tyres with US DOT UTQG ratings on the sidewall. Treadwear 420. Last set I put on went over 60,000Km before down to 2.2mm tread.

They are one quarter of the price of Michelins and last about 1.8 times longer. Tread depth new is 7mm. Current pricing in Sydney for 245/45R19 102W (i.e. Model S) is $101 fitted & balanced.

I am *NOT* talking about driving like an idiot. I am talking about driving to the law, and using extra prudence in the wet. The WinRun tyres totally eclipse the 'name' brands like Pirelli, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc. I have noted the limo companies using Teslas fit WinRun.

A friend with a Model S got crap mileage & performance from Goodyear Eagles. I tried Kumho once and they were total rubbish. Got less than 30,000Km from them. I have had quite reasonable runs with Falken, but the WinRun is better value.

There is a Youtube video where a Model X owner (Norway I think) compares the WinRun tyres to Michelin. He makes the same conclusion namely that the WinRun are heaps better than Michelin. I think URL is:-

I would exhort Tesla owners to *refuse* to buy any tyres which do not have warranted UTQG ratings on the sidewall. It is the law in the USA. A total lack of similar law in Australia means we get shafted by the tyre manufacturers. And remember the 'brand' means essentially nothing these days. The country-of-origin is quite variable. Many brand names made in Thailand or Malaysia.

Cheers,
Bob.

Bob.

I've used the WinRun R330 tyres on both S85D and X90D. They are great. One of the few tyres with US DOT UTQG ratings on the sidewall. Treadwear 420. Last set I put on went over 60,000Km before down to 2.2mm tread.

They are one quarter of the price of Michelins and last about 1.8 times longer. Tread depth new is 7mm. Current pricing in Sydney for 245/45R19 102W (i.e. Model S) is $101 fitted & balanced.

I am *NOT* talking about driving like an idiot. I am talking about driving to the law, and using extra prudence in the wet. The WinRun tyres totally eclipse the 'name' brands like Pirelli, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc. I have noted the limo companies using Teslas fit WinRun.

A friend with a Model S got crap mileage & performance from Goodyear Eagles. I tried Kumho once and they were total rubbish. Got less than 30,000Km from them. I have had quite reasonable runs with Falken, but the WinRun is better value.

There is a Youtube video where a Model X owner (Norway I think) compares the WinRun tyres to Michelin. He makes the same conclusion namely that the WinRun are heaps better than Michelin. I think URL is:-

I would exhort Tesla owners to *refuse* to buy any tyres which do not have warranted UTQG ratings on the sidewall. It is the law in the USA. A total lack of similar law in Australia means we get shafted by the tyre manufacturers. And remember the 'brand' means essentially nothing these days. The country-of-origin is quite variable. Many brand names made in Thailand or Malaysia.

Cheers,
Bob.

Bob.

60,000kms? I got 103,000kms from my last set of Michelins, have replaced them with Michelin Primacy 4 and have just driven 20,000kms in 7 weeks over roads in every state and territory in Australia including sections of gravel, limestone and bitumen full of potholes. Everyone's free to purchase any tyre they wish but I won't be skimping on one of the most important piece of equipment on a vehicle that costs 100x more.

Last edited:
I am *NOT* talking about driving like an idiot. I am talking about driving to the law, and using extra prudence in the wet.
The implication of that statement is that the tyres don’t grip as well as Michelins, but that’s OK if you drive prudentially.
The problem is that avoiding an accident by max-G swerving or braking will expose these shortcomings, and you may find yourself hitting rather than missing the tree/pedestrian/semi/kangaroo.
If the Winruns are truly equivalent in performance I would buy them. It’s a shame there is no standardised performance stats available in the type world.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I am *NOT* talking about driving like an idiot. I am talking about driving to the law, and using extra prudence in the wet.
Always ran Michelins Pilot Sport on my Octavia vRS because they honestly stick like shyt to a blanket when you're in a difficult situation, including & especially the wet. I'd didn't consider their life "short", probably 40k-50k even with my spirited driving.

Would love a little unknown brand to whip its butt, but this doesn't sound like that brand.
Sure, if when my M3 turns into a RoboTaxi, I need the longevity ... these might be it.
Thanks for the review Bob.

So I thought I’d try out the Winruns. Went to Tempe tyres today, had a set fitted to my Model S. After driving for about 10 minutes I noticed a low rumbling between around 50-65km/h, almost sounded like the hum/rumble of a sports exhaust.

I went back to Tempe Tyres and had them check to see if something was out of balance, they said no. So I asked them to remove them and put Khumo PS71’s on instead (the tyres I was replacing). They did it without a fuss and came on a test drive with me, the him/rumble was gone.

It seems like there’s some kind of resonance with the winruns around that speed, so be mindful of this if you get a set of these.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T

Cheers,
Bob.

Bob.

Thanks Bob. I'll give them a try when my current tyres are up in a year or so and report back.

So I thought I’d try out the Winruns. Went to Tempe tyres today, had a set fitted to my Model S. After driving for about 10 minutes I noticed a low rumbling between around 50-65km/h, almost sounded like the hum/rumble of a sports exhaust.

I went back to Tempe Tyres and had them check to see if something was out of balance, they said no. So I asked them to remove them and put Khumo PS71’s on instead (the tyres I was replacing). They did it without a fuss and came on a test drive with me, the him/rumble was gone.

It seems like there’s some kind of resonance with the winruns around that speed, so be mindful of this if you get a set of these.
I’ve never had the audacity to take new tyres back and swap them out. Impressive!
How are the Kumhos going? They are an underrated quality brand.

Reactions: rohan_aus
I’ve never had the audacity to take new tyres back and swap them out. Impressive!
How are the Kumhos going? They are an underrated quality brand.
At first I genuinely thought there was a problem that something was not mounted properly or a wheel wasn't balanced correctly, so I went back, and Tempe tyres offered to swap the tyres, but said if the problem was still there, they won't be swapping them again, so I agreed.

I've done around ~25,000km on the Khumos and I'm super happy with them, no problems with grip in dry or wet.