Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite a while to develop lol? We've only had the cars just over two months :).

I also don't have much on the rotors. The other parts just make it look cosmetically ugly :(

Well yeah, it took weeks of salt bath to do that. I'm pretty sure the Roadster's disks would have looked that way the second day!

No functional impact, as you say. I don't think it will be visible when the 21's are on.

Winter had a last (?) hurrah up here in the great white north, and I wanted to relay my snowstorm-driving experience.

In a nutshell, it was much better than I expected.

Like most people in Quebec, I have a decent amount of winter-driving experience, but had never driven a RWD car in a snow storm, much less a 100K electric wunder-car... I took delivery of my S on March 8, when the temps were around 6-10 celcius, but based on previous year's experiences, still opted to purchase winter tires mounted on Tesla 19' rims (I chose Nokian Hakka 7's without studs after much discussion and research).

Turns out that this tuesday Montreal got at least 25 cm of snow, starting overnight monday. I leave for work rather early in the morning, and neither my uphill driveway or several side streets had been plowed (not happy with my snow removal service this year...). The car climbed up my driveway with absolutely no issues, starting from a stop in snow (I had to stop to close the garage door). On the way to work the car performed admirably well, the TC only being an issue in deeper snow, where it slowed the car noticeably. Disabling TC was enough to keep moving at a reasonable speed, and negociate the notorious hills in the downtown core. The only time the car failed me was when I tried to back into a snow-covered parking spot with a mild incline. I had to start at an angle, and kept going sideways :scared: ... Let's just say I found another spot.

On the way back home in the early evening, roads were plowed but it was still snowing. Here the car really impressed me, behaving almost as if I was driving on dry pavement. The electric TC really is in a wholly different class from mechanical ones, and with firmware updates allowing a little wheel spin (a "snow mode"), it would be superb. I now believe that nothing will touch the X when it comes out.

Anticipating fogging issues I set the ventilation system appropriately, and it was never a problem. The only other niggles I could think of are the wipers... when I got to work they (and their resting wells) were encrusted in wet snow, and thankfully it was not cold enough for them to freeze, but it was still quite difficult to clean them up. As others have mentioned they built up a large bar of snow on the left edge of the windshield that was not being pushed off the side. Tesla, PLEASE allow us to stop the wipers above their resting position so we can clean them out! If this accumulated snow had frozen into an ice-cake, they would be unuseable, and essentially uncleanable.

I also realized that my windshield spray nozzles are aimed too low, but I know that is easily fixed.

So although this was not a true winter storm (i.e. deep freeze temperatures), I am much more confident that I can use this car as a daily driver in all but the most extreme storms, with good tires (and some experience).

A big deal for me, as this was pretty much my only significant reservation about getting this car...

Vent upgrade. My car came without paint armor so I had that put on last week as well at the common noisy side window fixed. I had left the car for the day at the Toronto service center and when I picked it up they told me that they had also installed the upgraded venting (venting 2.0?) retrofit that had been rumored about in these forums. Unfortunately I had to leave quickly so I was not get any details on the changes. I haven't been able to test systematically the differences but have not had any side window fogging either. Time will tell. Has anyone else been upgraded? They said I was the first in Canada - about a week and a half ago.

Great post Jeeps17, I have yet to see what the deal is with the wipers. not sure i get without seeing it for real.

By the way, tomorrow, there is going to be a third Model S in the neighboorhood :)

kbeckley, there has been a number of upgrade of the vent in Toronto as far as I know. Visit the Canada section of the forum, Doug and friends went through it as well.

Have used the opportunity today and tested the car in real winter conditions: 0 ° C, 8-10 cm of snow in some places, some places ice under the snow and summer tires ... (to be put into studless on Wednesday). The impression I am left with is very good, (despite the fact that the car was poorly prepared for the season). And no need to worry about good Norwegian winter with this car. But it will be good to get the winter tires on now. A wintry Tesla greetings from Molde, Norway.

IMG_0642.JPG
IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG

Have used the opportunity today and tested the car in real winter conditions: 0 ° C, 8-10 cm of snow in some places, some places ice under the snow and summer tires ... (to be put into studless on Wednesday). The impression I am left with is very good, (despite the fact that the car was poorly prepared for the season). And no need to worry about good Norwegian winter with this car. But it will be good to get the winter tires on now. A wintry Tesla greetings from Molde, Norway.

This is good to hear, I read this thread religiously last winter as winter weather performance was one of my main areas of concern before I got the car. Still waiting for the first real snow here in Chicago so I can test it out for myself!

Which summer tires did you have on?

Just had my first real winter driving experience with my Model S. For those short on time, the quick summary is this:
1) Heat the car well before setting out.
2) Separate the wipers from the windshield before starting the car.
3) Don't open the rear doors until the car is fully heated.
4) Expect to get at most 90% of the estimated range at freezing temperatures.

The longer description is this:
The purpose of the trip was to drive 278km to the Toronto Tesla service center to get winter wheels and tires installed.

I set out with the car unheated, on clear roads, with the outside temperature at -2C, on my 21" wheels and Continental tires. Problems started before I got out of the driveway. In freezing temperatures the windows can freeze to the seals at the bottom of the window. Frameless windows lower slightly when you open the door, and slide back up when you close it, but can't do this when they're frozen. I opened one of the rear doors to get something out of the back seat, popping the unlowered window out of the top seal in the process, and then couldn't close the door. After a certain amount of prying with my fingers, I separated the window from the lower seal, lowered it a bit, and was able to close the door.

I got in, stepped on the brake to start the car, and heard and ominous thumping and grinding from in front of the dash. Turns out the wipers were frozen to the windshield and the "auto" wiper setting tried to start them wiping. The wiper motor working against the frozen blades caused the linkage to pop off the motor under the hood, rendering the wipers inoperative. I didn't need the wipers anyway and was headed to the service center so it didn't matter in that particular situation.

Total distance was 278km and I left home with a full range charge and estimated rated range of 405km. I drove 100km/h the whole way, with the heat off (outside temperature 28-34F), and arrived with a remaining range of 60km. I.e., almost 65k less than I would have expected. The range estimates had been uncannily accurate during the summer, so I think the relevant winter factors that threw it off were:
a) Energy required to heat the battery at the start.
b) Higher ride height, and reduced aerodynamics, introduced with software update 5.8 to avoid hitting road debris.
c) Colder (hence denser) air. A drop from 25C to 0C produces ~12% increase in air density and proportional increase in wind resistance.
d) Occasional, though minimal, use of defogger and seat heater.

At the service center I got the new Aero wheel / Pirelli Sotozero tire package, got the wipers fixed, and a bit of a charge. I headed to the Yorkdale mall for another 3 hours of charging before setting off on the remaining 258k drive home. An hour into the charging I noticed the car was using only 58 of the available 80 amps. I adjusted it to use 79/80, with no apparent increase in the charge rate. So I stopped and restarted the charging. The rate jumped from 56km/hr to 74km/hour. I suspect, but am not sure, that it may have been using the lower rate because the battery was cold when I connected it.

I was curious what difference the Aero wheel and 19" tire combination would make to the range. I set off on the 258k return trip with a warm battery and car, and an estimated range of 275k. Not a lot of buffer, but there were places to charge along the way if necessary. I drafted a truck almost the entire way, used no heat except the occasional defogging, and arrived home with 10k to spare, having averaged ~182kW/km. The same driving with summer wheels and tires (and lower ride height) uses ~165kW/km.

Your mileage may vary, but I'd definitely expect 10-15% less range than you get in the summer, and I'd recommend unfreezing the wipers and windows before using them or opening the doors.

Some good tips there, npod. Most people here are aware of the reduced range in cooler temps but I doubt I would have anticipated the window/wiper issues. I take it your vehicle is not garaged? Do you encounter a lot of ice/slush buildup where you are?

I'm a bit surprised the wiper motor damaged itself. Vehicles I've owned with automatic wipers will disengage the motor if it encounters a certain amount of resistance. Seems the Tesla one does not.

Just out of curiosity, were your wiper motor and window seal fixed under warranty?

I haven't taken any cold weather trips longer than about 100 miles / 160 km yet, but my casual observation is that cabin heat isn't making that much of a difference. I have tried various temperatures and used HVAC in both Range and Standard modes. Range Mode seems to limit the battery pack heating more than anything. In Range Mode, the cabin still gets nice and warm, but if there is any re-gen limit when I start out, it may never go away in Range Mode, while it will clear much more quickly in Standard Mode. I was not detecting any appreciable energy consumption difference in Range Mode, so I'm just leaving it in Standard.