Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

winter features that urgently need fixing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things seem to be slowly getting worse for us living in the harder climates. Since there is no way to give feedback to Tesla anymore, I'm hopeful someone there could read this post and potentially drive things forward. I have both the 3LR and the XLR and the same issues are present in both.

1) The cruise control needs to revert to the regular cruise control if the adaptive cannot function due to sensors being blocked. This is basic stuff in any other car / EV I've driven.
2) Window defrost button is needed ALL THE TIME. It really needs to find its way back to the lower section of the screen without being hidden in the climate menu (v11).
3) Same with the seat heaters. I press these things 4+ times on every drive now, potentially up to 16 times depending on the amount of passengers in the car (v11).
4) We need proper controls for the battery heating / not heating, the car doesn't always know when we are navigating towards a charger or not. Alternative is to fix the 3rd party charger information but I really doubt this is going to happen and/or be kept up to date.
5) The battery heating when preheating should also be an on/off setting. Sometimes a warm battery is needed, sometimes not so much since all we're doing is a small loop around town.
6) Please allow the heat to be turned on via bluetooth / keyfob in case the car does not react to the network. It may not be possible to get in the car if the car is out of the network and the heat does not turn on. I'm currently in St. Petersburg, Russia with the car and there is no network here anyway. It's -20c out.

These would go a long way fixing the winter driving experience and they would be far more important than the games and light shows for quite many of us. I get this 'apple approach' when the car tries to be intelligent enough to figure this all out, but unfortunately it's not realistic. It really doesn't do telepathy just yet.

Most of those are not v11 specific and have been there since the beginning. Pretty basic stuff and far, far more important than those regular ‘cold weather improvements’ that just keep changing things back and forth and you can never tell how it’s going to work this time.

1) The cruise control needs to revert to the regular cruise control if the adaptive cannot function due to sensors being blocked.
While I agree it's annoying to be left without cruise control altogether, I see a potential safety risk here if the adaptive cruise control that I use all the time suddenly turned into a regular cruise control. Of course we have to be fully alert a all times blah blah blah, but we all know that scary feeling if the car doesn't do what we expect it to do.

One tiny change I'd like to see is that while the car is in cruise control, I should have to push down the right stalk only once to engage auto steer. Not crucial at all, but it would make a lot of sense.

Reverting to the regular cruise is done by basically every other car so I’d assume Tesla can do if too, safely. Some have a menu setting for this, some do it silently.

It’s very, very common for the sensors to get so dirty/icy that the adaptive cruise doesn’t really work. So the ‘level 5’ is just not going to happen for the nordic climates, but please let us keep the cruise.

While I agree it's annoying to be left without cruise control altogether, I see a potential safety risk here if the adaptive cruise control that I use all the time suddenly turned into a regular cruise control. Of course we have to be fully alert a all times blah blah blah, but we all know that scary feeling if the car doesn't do what we expect it to do.

One tiny change I'd like to see is that while the car is in cruise control, I should have to push down the right stalk only once to engage auto steer. Not crucial at all, but it would make a lot of sense.
The TACC/Autosteer/speed adjust lever, is on the Left. (this is the Model X forum)

I just had a seriously scary moment with this lovely v11. It started raining at -4c which means that the windscreen freezes solid in seconds. This was on a dark, winding road and I had to start finding the window defroster tiny button from some pop-up dialog while trying to keep the car on the road.

Now Tesla - I can get a TOYBOX in the quick launch but not safety critical windshield heating??

• Informative
Reactions: Genie and PatP