Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Floor Mat Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this tip. I received mine but they are still in the box. With my car about a month from delivery, guess it's time to unbox and air them out for a month. :)

The Lloyd's rubber mats are very stinky - I recommend getting them well ahead of time and airing out in your garage, for weeks if possible. They are only getting to a non-stinky stage now for me after 4+ weeks of airing and 4+ weeks in the car. I have developed a habit of leaving the windows open in the car overnight (heated garage) to help the smell dissipate.

- - - Updated - - -

After having done all that, dousing them with Febreze worked very well for me. No more stink.

Looks nice! How's the fit? Happy with them? Did you order just the front mats, or any other areas of the car?

Looks nice! How's the fit? Happy with them? Did you order just the front mats, or any other areas of the car?

I got the interior mats for the front and back (they come together anyway) and for the trunk. Really happy with them; the grey goes well with the black leather and the piano black trim and brightens up the interior too. The fit's very good all around.

The Tesla-provided front ones were very wimpy and are now relegated to a dark corner of the garage.

A couple more pics (I just needed an excuse to go to the car again ;)):

eze6une3.jpg

aba2atu7.jpg

Last edited:
As a general rule, I would recommend folks hold off on going too nuts with getting accessories before the car arrives. As it makes it harder to wait and fills up your garage. ;)

But, speaking first hand I was very uncomfortable with the rear carpet being unprotected when giving a number of rides in the first week. So much so that I got a temporary rear matt ($12) as a stopgap and ordered Lloyd's immediately.

Thus, adjusted advice: definitely consider getting a rear floor matt before your car arrives if you plan on getting one. And...
Thanks for this tip. I received mine but they are still in the box. With my car about a month from delivery, guess it's time to unbox and air them out for a month. :)
... this suggests another reason to order early: you can let the airing process begin before the car arrives.

I just opened my Lloyds rubber mats, and frankly they weren't very stinky. But I'll let the air out anyway (and flatten out as they were shipped rolled up). They look like a good simple rubber mat, but won't hold a ton of slow/slush ice as they don't have edges. Better suited for wet shoes than a lot of melting stuff on your boots. That said, they look good and simple, each circle is recessed so they will certainly hold some water. I don't have a car to put them in yet... but here are pics. I ordered the whole set...frunk...front seats, rear seat, rear trunk, lower rear trunk.

20130210_171906.jpg
20130210_171933.jpg
20130210_171955.jpg
20130210_172441.jpg

With all the threads talking about winter driving, snow tires, etc., it got me thinking... does anyone know if Tesla is going to offer winter floor mats? Salt collecting on the exterior of a car is one thing, but it will absolutely destroy carpet floor mats in just a few short years. I have always bought winter floor mats for my cars to swap out once the snow/salt comes. If Tesla isn't going to offer this, does anyone know of any after-market solutions that will fit the car?

I just got an email from Weathertech. The laser measured floor mats are in production and should be done in 3-6 weeks.

I just got an email from Weathertech. The laser measured floor mats are in production and should be done in 3-6 weeks.

I just called Weathertech today and was told they estimate to have them for sale around May-June. If I wanted them sooner to contact Tesla. Don't know if that means all weather or regular carpet mats. Now I got to find some cheep back mats asap to hold me over.

Has anybody bought floor mats from CoverKing? Looks like they have custom floor mats for the Model S on their website. I am looking to purchase the rear floor mat to see if they are any good. They currently have two options: a 40 oz carpet and a 70 oz carpet which are both thicker than the Ultimat and Luxe options from Lloyds Mats. Will post some pics whenever I receive them.

Yeah, but it must be californians setting the priorities. I don't tromp snow into the trunk or frunk!!!!!!

It does seem pretty absurd. My rear seat carpet is already filthy but.. no all-weather rear floor mat yet. My trunk and frunk are spotless.

If the custom-fitting rear seat all-weather floor mats are ever available, I'll have to have the car detailed before installing them.