Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed this as well. I think they've changed what tires they're shipping with since the early deliveries. I know there were quite a few complaints from folks in areas where there are actual seasons when the P's were only getting summer tires.
Funny thing is that I was hoping to get summer tires because I knew I'd be getting a set of winter tires. So, I was very happy with their original direction.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I ordered a set of Tsportline 20" gloss black wheels with Pirelli Sottozero winter tires to take advantage of there $1000 discount on orders over $4000. Bought the black plastic lug covers and a few other accessories to make it to $4000 to get the $1000 discount. I get delivery of our X P100DL in Feb/Mar and the wheel/tire package should be here in January before the X gets delivered. I have the Pirelli Sottozeros on my current S90D and they are not as good as Nokian R2 or Blizzak tires in wintery conditions.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I LOVE Nokian snow tires, best I've ever used. I would really like to hear your reports! Also, have you noticed much of a range hit since putting them on? Do you notice more road noise? I'm planning on Nokian's for mine as well, but concerned about range.

Thanks!

I LOVE Nokian snow tires, best I've ever used. I would really like to hear your reports! Also, have you noticed much of a range hit since putting them on? Do you notice more road noise? I'm planning on Nokian's for mine as well, but concerned about range.

Thanks!
I had stock foamed Michelin AS tires that were just a tad quieter
But overall, i'm averaging the same whm if not better
There is an almost unnoticeable tire hum
It is a lot less pronounced than with most winter tires

• Love
Reactions: Pwdr Extreme
So, what is the consensus on the Continental tires that come with the MX.... are they good enough for snow travel?
Ahahahaha consensus? Have you spent much time on these forums? ;)

It seems like folks from the far north - Canada, Norway, etc - can't believe anyone drives without winter tires in winter. There's a large group of folks who have slipped, either in All Season or Summer tires, and an equally large group who have had great traction with their Continentals in snowy conditions.

There is some agreement that Nokian WRG3 are some of the best All Season tires for snow, and general agreement that if you have the means you should get a second set of wheels if you're getting a second set of tires.

Persoanll6 I'm going to wait until I do some more snow driving (next weekend) before deciding. I'm still trying to find data about how much impact semi-temperate roads have on winter tires, as I wouldn't mind the extra traction in the snow if I'm not going to destroy them in 65 degree Silicon Valley 'winter' weather.

IMG_0638.JPG
Conti all weathers are fine but that answer is dependent on the temperatures that you will experience. Most folks only think about winter tires for snow. There is another and more important reason for winter tires and that is the temperature effect on the traction of the rubber on the tires. Winter tires are better rather than all weathers if you have significant cold weather.

View attachment 209615 Conti all weathers are fine but that answer is dependent on the temperatures that you will experience. Most folks only think about winter tires for snow. There is another and more important reason for winter tires and that is the temperature effect on the traction of the rubber on the tires. Winter tires are better rather than all weathers if you have significant cold weather.
Great point.

I'll add that Summer only tires provide better grip than All Season tires in ALL weather down to about 40 - 45 degrees. Below that, Winter Tires provide better grip than All Season tires in ALL weather.

That's whey All Season tires should really be called No Season tires.

o_O:eek::p;)

Reactions: hiroshiy
I also went with the 20" staggered ( 265/275 ) Nokian WR G3 SUV tires on my P90D. Here in Salt Lake City Utah, we have had a significant amount of snow and ice this winter. The WRG3s have exceeded my expectations greatly! I have noticed no difference in power consumption, but will say that they are a little louder at low speeds than the OEM summer tires. At highway speeds, sound is about the same. Nokian doesn't kill you on the mile warranty for having a staggered setup. 50,000 on fronts and 25,000 for rear. These tires are made to use in all weather and year round, so I might just keep them on until they wear out. If anyone in the Salt Lake Valley area is interested, PM me for info on where I got them-I'm friends with the manager and he will give you a great deal on this or whatever tire you want.

Great tires aren't they?

Keep in mind though that they won't be nearly as good next winter if you drive them all summer. Same is true of any snow tire obviously. The more miles they get the less effective in the snow they will become.

That being said, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Especially since my other wheels/tires are 22's and while they do look awesome, they are heavy and that hurts the range. :p;)

I just got some Michelin Alpin winter tires (stagered to match the original size of the OEM Continentals) installed directly on the original 20 inch wheels and all for under $1500 here in Toronto Canada. I do a lot of winter driving between Toronto and Montreal and Winter tires are a must.