Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

michelin x-ice xi3 vs nokian hakkapeliitta r3. Which one would you use for winter driving rwd?

• michelin x-ice xi3

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • nokian hakkapeliitta r3

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure what you are saying but I am positive that if I owned a P Model 3 that cost me ~ $60k my first priority would be to not drive it into a ditch or up someone's bumper in the winter.

I could have been clearer and your not understanding so let me clarify. I am considering purchasing a set of 19 inch rims and a set of 19 inch snow tires but I don't believe I can pony up the extra 12-1300$ for the rims so the tires I linked are probably the option I am going to go with.

I’ve lived in the Colorado front range for 20 years and have had AWD cars the past 15 (Subaru Forester, Toyota Highlander). Usually factory tires are crappy, last 25k, and I then get the best tire for snow/ice short of getting studless winter tires. Handling in bad weather is then great and I’ve never needed more.

Yesterday’s storm caused traction woes for my M3 with 7k miles, but not my wife’s highlander with pirelli scorpion verdes, despite almost no tread.

Is the M3 AWD no good in the snow and I should get winter tires or are the factory continentals crap and just stick it out until they need replacement?

If the M3 AWD is not actually good in the snow, and I need winter tires, I was thinking it might be easiest to just get the premounted 18s from Tesla for 2k since the factory wheels and tpms are already there, then get a little better 3 season tire, but prefer to avoid this approach. Model 3 18" Aero Wheel and Winter Tire Package

While just driving in the front range now, I’d hope to take the car skiing.
See this thread for a hint. Get real snow tires.

Last winter my M3 LR AWD was incredible in the snow.

In summer I run the stock 19"s which have a summer composite and really should not be run in winter. I switch to 235/45R-18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 XLs which I picked up at TireRack. I change them myself and my M3 identifies the new tires within a few miles. Really suggest winter tires if you drive on much ice and snow.

I am going to be doing the same thing got my car early this summer running the 19s stock. Going to be getting a pair of Aeros and buying the same Xi3. By your post, you seem to be happy with those tires? Was going back and forth with those and the Pirelli Sottozero.

Remember that when you buy only tires, you're going to have mounting and balancing fees twice a year. That adds up to a set of wheels pretty quick. When you add in the convenience of being able to swap in and out of your winter wheel and tire set, it's often better just to bite the bullet and get everything at once. Buy once, cry once.

Agree. This is my winter setup from Tire Rack:

19x8.5 Gloss Black Painted MSW Type 71

Required lugnuts for vehicle (black)

433MHz Tire Pressure Sensors

Optional Black Valve Sleeve and Cap

235/40R19 Vredestein Quatrac 5

Total mounted, balanced and delivered to Colorado: $1,832.01

Running the Tesla OEM tyres in winter conditions is a fool's errand.

I also decided to buy a set of wheels rather than pay mounting fees twice a year. It took some shopping but I ended up paying ~ $1000 for my 4 wheels + Michelin X-ice set.

How much better are winter tires than say a P3D stock set? Will the winter set get me out of trouble wheras the stock set wouldnt? It seems already the model 3 is an amazing snow vehicle just because of how it can control all 4 wheels with awd and braking individual wheels etc.. my question is, how much better is it with winter stuff? Like is the car 80% capable in snow stock, and with winter tires its 90%? Or is it much bigger disparity?

I don't want to do this if it wont be that noticeable, it has to justify not only buying a new set which would cost upwards of $1000, I would be swapping rubber twice a year. Not really looking to have a dedicated set of wheels either, more sunk cost and space in garage.

If you have a P3D with 20” wheels, your stock tires are PS4S summer tires. These aren’t even allowed to be driven in the cold as they will crack due to the compound no longer being flexible at low temperatures. Your snow performance will be extremely bad and you will damage your tires even driving on them.
For real? It will damage the tire? Ive never ever heard this.
My previous car was a G37 Sport, real wheel drive with 20x10.5 wheels on cheap summer tires.. I made out ok in the snow, nothing like AWD, but never thought I was actually damaging tires.
I certainly don't want to damage them.

For real? It will damage the tire? Ive never ever heard this.
My previous car was a G37 Sport, real wheel drive with 20x10.5 wheels on cheap summer tires.. I made out ok in the snow, nothing like AWD, but never thought I was actually damaging tires.
I certainly don't want to damage them.

From the description on TireRack

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Reactions: coleAK
F8C13FE0-D1CD-433C-B211-D2DD9E7D53CC.jpeg
E1CC8890-6058-461A-B714-A83D95364F87.jpeg
F8C13FE0-D1CD-433C-B211-D2DD9E7D53CC.jpeg
My first post!

summer performance tires would be lethal in snow.

I just picked up new wheels and tires today. 235/40/19 Pirelli Sotto Zero 3. I will post a pic if I can figure out how.