Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

michelin x-ice xi3 vs nokian hakkapeliitta r3. Which one would you use for winter driving rwd?

• michelin x-ice xi3

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • nokian hakkapeliitta r3

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am really finding it confusing that some are reporting a quieter ride on the X-Ice than the stock 18" all seasons, since the first thing I noticed is how much louder the X-Ice tires are, especially when accelerating. They do seem happier now that the temperatures are riding around 0degC.

Although the X-Ices feel squishy under hard acceleration, I drove my M3 SR+ on a twisty country road I visit in the middle of the night to see how they handle typical sportive driving.
The temp was between 0-4 degC, slight snow and greasy roads and the X-Ices really impressed me, the M3 felt almost as capable as it did on the Michelin a/s. I could slightly slide the car with the same confidence and the front end remained planted, even on a wet road.

I cannot wait until we have some packed snow on the road, this car is going to be an absolute blast this winter. Now we just need "winter fun mode" TC for the RWD cars ;)
Yeah for me it was night and day difference in how much quieter they ride.

Just put on my Blizzak WS80 today and boy they are loud. They were loud on my previous car that I used them (Mazda 3) but I thought that was mostly because Mazda didn't have good sound insulation. There is a lot of thread noise even in the Tesla despite having better sound insulation than Mazda when both are on all season tires.

This should be the last winter that my Blizzaks will be serviceable and I am thinking about Nokian WR G4s for next winter as they perform great on our Lexus. They have good snow/ice performance and on the dry pavement they are pretty much on par with OEM all-season, quiet and low rolling resistance...

Interesting, I know the bolt pattern is the same on the mazda 3 but you are actually using the same tires? What size are they 17s? Just wondering since i still have maybe 1 more season on my Pirellis for winter. Wondering if my 16" steelies would work as well.

Interesting, I know the bolt pattern is the same on the mazda 3 but you are actually using the same tires? What size are they 17s? Just wondering since i still have maybe 1 more season on my Pirellis for winter. Wondering if my 16" steelies would work as well.

My Mazda 3 had 18 inch wheels so didn't even need to get new wheels for the winter tires to keep using them with the Tesla...

Got my TireRack winter wheel package in, and installed myself. Borbet Type F 18x8 wheels with Michelin X-Ice tires. I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth and quiet the X-Ices are! Did notice a bit of squishy acceleration and the traction control light flashing when flooring it, but overall quite happy. The TPMS faulted at first, but seemed to fix itself after I forced a change in the computer from 19” to 18” wheels. Winter Is Coming!

54AE91F7-25B6-4318-9774-F5C30DAC32D0.jpeg

Reactions: cbrigante2
Looks like Pirelli have started their winter rebates! I'm glad I waited...

"Purchase a set of qualifying Pirelli Winter Tires from participating dealers (other than GM Dealers) between November 8th, 2019 and December 15th, 2019 and be eligible to receive a $70 Prepaid Mastercard® Card via mail-in rebate. Not valid with any other offer.

Mail-in rebate form must be postmarked by January 14th, 2020. You may print a copy of your mail-in rebate form here. Please see our Terms and Conditions below for full mail-in rebate details, including a list of eligible Pirelli tires."

That brings the Sottozero 3 (Tesla OE) with noise cancelling down to $976 after rebate. That's now about the same price (within a few bucks) as the Nokian R3s and within about $100 of the xIce 3.

I guess I'm now leaning toward the Sottozero 3s since they had pretty good wet performance and ice performance, have the noise cancelling, and are Tesla spec tires (so hopefully feel pretty good in the dry). I just can't find really good review numbers on the Nokian R3s when it comes to stopping distance on glaze ice, snow, and wet/dry. I know there's one site floating around that have some numbers, but they don't say what car they use and they don't compare it to the xIce, WSxx, or the Sottozero so it's really hard to compare performance... and honestly in that one review the Nokian numbers didn't look fantastic so I kinda of question that review anyway...

It's not a perfect Apples to Apples because the cars are a little different... the xIce 3 was tested with a 2014 BMW F30 328i Sedan and the Sottozero 3 was tested with a 2012 BMW F30 328i Sedan.

Stopping distance - 12mph to 0 on glare ice
xIce 3 - 30.3 feet (12% shorter)
Sotto - 34.3 feet

Stopping distance - 20mph to 0 on snow
xIce 3 - 66.7 feet (7.5% shorter)
Sotto - 71.9 feet

Stopping distance - 50mph to 0 at 30 to 40F temps

Dry
xIce 3 - 93.2 feet
Sotto - 85.6 feet (8.5% shorter)

Wet
xIce 3 - 131.4 feet
Sotto - 106.9 feet (20.5% shorter)

Maybe I'll get the chains from Tesla's online store and toss them in the trunk just in case I cross some mountains and am worried about getting stuck. I've never used chains before, but previously I had an AWD drive that I wasn't too worried about (with snow tires) and the FWD Chevy Volt was just a 3 year lease that I knew I wouldn't be doing much traveling with...

Winter surely came early this year. This morning I got a chance to finally test out my General Altimax Arctic 12 in snow.

We had some rain last night before temperature dropped quickly to below freezing. This morning the roads where snow covered with a layer of ice underneath it. I’m happy to report that these tires do very well in snow. I have LR RWD and I had no problem maneuvering through hard packed snow. Turning too fast at corners would spin the rear wheels a little bit but totally controllable.

On dry roads, they’re a tad louder than the OEM Michelin and Continental but manageable. Efficiency took a hit though. I’m averaging about 290 wh/mi. Handling on dry roads are just average. The gummy feel is very obvious. I’m ok with it since I rarely flood the car or throw it around corners.

Overall very happy with my purchase. They’re very good winter tires for the price. I paid less than $600 after rebate for the set in September. Bought from Discount Tire. For those like me who don’t want to spend too much on winter tires, these are very good alternative to X-Ice and Pirelli and Nokian.

• Informative
Reactions: CoolSilver
Hello everyone,

I have a Model 3 Performance and ordered 18" XIce3's with a set of rims from PMCTires that were guaranteed to fit.

Went to get them installed, drove off and within 20 seconds came right back due to a loud noise from the back tires. Turns out the calipers were scraping against the rim! PMC said they've never encountered this, but are willing to take them back.

Does anyone here think perhaps the installers messed up? Are the back calipers larger? The front ones had enough clearance.

Here's the tire and rims:
Tires - 18" - 235/45-18 XIce3
Rims - Touren TR9 (Touren - TR9 - Matte Black)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have a Model 3 Performance and ordered 18" XIce3's with a set of rims from PMCTires that were guaranteed to fit.

Went to get them installed, drove off and within 20 seconds came right back due to a loud noise from the back tires. Turns out the calipers were scraping against the rim! PMC said they've never encountered this, but are willing to take them back.

Does anyone here think perhaps the installers messed up?

Here's the tire and rims:
Tires - 18" - 235/45-18 XIce3
Rims - Touren TR9 (Touren - TR9 - Matte Black)

Considering the performance vehicles came with 20s and didn't have an 18 inch option until they offered the Performance car WITHOUT the larger brakes, I'm guessing you'll be hard pressed to find an 18 inch wheel that will clear them. You might have better luck with 19s, but those larger brakes might require 20s to clear them...

Edit: I'm assuming you have the larger red brakes of the Performance models... since Tesla has started offering the Performance model without those larger brakes and 18 inch standard wheels, you might want to talk to them and make sure it's clear that the car originally had 20s AND that the car has the larger performance brakes... OUCH! Looks like Sottozero 2 is one of your options at ~$400 USD a TIRE!

Last edited:
Considering the performance vehicles came with 20s and didn't have an 18 inch option until they offered the Performance car WITHOUT the larger brakes, I'm guessing you'll be hard pressed to find an 18 inch wheel that will clear them. You might have better luck with 19s, but those larger brakes might require 20s to clear them...

Edit: I'm assuming you have the larger red brakes of the Performance models... since Tesla has started offering the Performance model without those larger brakes and 18 inch standard wheels, you might want to talk to them and make sure it's clear that the car originally had 20s AND that the car has the larger performance brakes... OUCH! Looks like Sottozero 2 is one of your options at ~$400 USD a TIRE!
Yes on their site, they ask if this is the Performance with the red large calipers .. funny enough the front ones were fine

Just to provide a point of reference - the 18" TSportlines fit on the M3P with the big brakes no problem. I just mounted mine over the weekend.

TPMS didn't register during a 15 mile drive, then the next day it recognized it after a mile of driving.

I have the Xice 3's and the sound level is not noticeably different from the summer PSS 4's with foam. Definitely less confidence-inspiring on the curves, braking, and accelerating, but hey - winter tire.

Just to provide a point of reference - the 18" TSportlines fit on the M3P with the big brakes no problem. I just mounted mine over the weekend.

TPMS didn't register during a 15 mile drive, then the next day it recognized it after a mile of driving.

I have the Xice 3's and the sound level is not noticeably different from the summer PSS 4's with foam. Definitely less confidence-inspiring on the curves, braking, and accelerating, but hey - winter tire.
So I noticed those are 18x8.5", perhaps that's why they're okay? Everywhere else I look, they say 18x8" should fit and well clearly they didn't

So I noticed those are 18x8.5", perhaps that's why they're okay? Everywhere else I look, they say 18x8" should fit and well clearly they didn't

Hmm, I don't think the width would make a difference - the problem with the brakes on the OEM 18 and 19 rims is the caliper hits the inside of the barrel.

In fact, I found some ASA rims on Tirerack that fit the M3P in 18" and they are 18x8's like yours.

Hi all,

I need some advice on wheels.

For my winter setup I decided on 18" Hakka R3s (I found a pretty good deal on them at my local Tire Warehouse... $924 for 4... cheaper than Discount Tire!).

I found a set of four TPMS sensors specifically intended for the Model 3 that are well-reviewed on Amazon for $119, here.

So now I just have to find a set of wheels. I really only care about two things when it comes to winter wheels: that they fit, and that they're cheap. I would honestly buy a set of $25 steel wheels if I could find them in the right size.

Discount Tire (which I've found to have generally lower prices than Tire Rack), has this list of 18" wheels compatible with the Model 3 (non-P).

The ones I'm looking at are:
Vision Cross II ($115, 28.2 lbs)
X Wheels ER-1 ($116, 25.4 lbs)
Liquid Metal Shift ($123, 26.4 lbs)
Velox Nirvana ($128, 28.0 lbs)

They all have the right bolt pattern and offset, sufficient load rating, and sufficient center bore (they're all 73.1mm center bores vs. the Model 3's 64.1mm bore).

The things I'm not sure about (which Discount Tire doesn't list) are backspacing and lug style. Discount Tire says these wheels "fit" the Model 3, but does that mean they have the same backspacing and lug style?

Any wisdom here (or comments on those wheels of any sort) is greatly appreciated!