Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper blades are driving me crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This my seem bizarre but I use 0000 steel wool with Sprayway glass cleaner as a lubricant ( just be sure it's 0000). It has ever scratched a variety of glass that I have applied to it. I got the hint from a professional detailer. Try it on one of the corners to be sure but it seemed to help on other cars I had. I have used it on non automotive glass to remove stubborn stains that had developed on the glass. Has anyone else tried this and had scratches?

Dave

This my seem bizarre but I use 0000 steel wool with Sprayway glass cleaner as a lubricant ( just be sure it's 0000). It has ever scratched a variety of glass that I have applied to it. I got the hint from a professional detailer. Try it on one of the corners to be sure but it seemed to help on other cars I had. I have used it on non automotive glass to remove stubborn stains that had developed on the glass. Has anyone else tried this and had scratches?

Dave

The Tesla has a metallic coating. Sounds insane to put steel wool on it.

Didn't have this problem until I applied RainX to my windshield - and now I get the bad stutter.

Will try the above suggestions to clean the windshield and try to undo the RainX installation to remove the stutter.

The metallic coating is between the two layers of glass on the Tesla. It is visible in certain lighting situations.

I use the RainX wiper fluid but I have not applied the product to the windshield. I keep the windshield clean with glass cleaner otherwise.

I suggest you get a good glass polish and polish out the water spots and residue on the windshield. Clean thoroughly and then apply a nanotechnology coating to the glass like GTechniq or Permanon. Not only will the rain blow off your windshield but your wipers will glide effortlessly.

I also noticed the stuttering and was going to try using MX-7 to really clean the glass and see if it worked, but after applying the GTechniq, the stuttering went away and the water beads off nicely (like Rain-X but without the stuttering). I didn't even have to try the MX-7 as the nanotechnology coating worked for me.

I also noticed the stuttering and was going to try using MX-7 to really clean the glass and see if it worked, but after applying the GTechniq, the stuttering went away and the water beads off nicely (like Rain-X but without the stuttering). I didn't even have to try the MX-7 as the nanotechnology coating worked for me.
Stephen, what GTechniq product(s) did you use and where in HI did you buy it? There are a number of products listed on their website. I want to remove RAINX then apply a nanotech coating.

Stephen, what GTechniq product(s) did you use and where in HI did you buy it? There are a number of products listed on their website. I want to remove RAINX then apply a nanotech coating.

It's G5 which I got from PakShak on Sand Island Access Road. I'd be more than happy to let you use my bottle to see if it works for you. I applied it about 4 months back and it's still fine, and you barely have to use any of the product so it will probably go to waste before I could use it all anyway. Shoot me a PM and I can meet you. I'm off today :)

p.s. sorry about the sideways photo. This always seems to happen when I upload from my cell phone :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    952.8 KB · Views: 498

Dave

I do this and it works great to get a super clean and smooth finish without scratching the glass.

Strange... I use Rain-x on my windshield and haven't noticed any problems on my Model S or on any other car I've had. (Unless I run the wipers on a dry windshield. LOL)

I even tried running the wipers last night on a dry windshield. They were silent and as smooth as silk.

Last edited:
Strange... I use Rain-x on my windshield and haven't noticed any problems on my Model S or on any other car I've had. (Unless I run the wipers on a dry windshield. LOL)

I'm thinking either I don't have stuttering wipers or you guys are OCD.
I haven't tried any chemicals on my windshield. But in typical Oregon rain - not a frightening downpour, but soft, steady rain and at above 40mph or so I get serious stutter and bouncing on the wipers. Never had that in my BMW.
Quite annoying.

Tried several items to clean the windshield after applying Rain-X and then having "sticking" wiper blades.

What appears to have worked was a three step process. First I used "Goo Gone" on the entire windshield - which appears to have removed the Rain-X coating from the glass. Then I did a pass with glass cleaner (Windex) and a final pass with water & a microfiber cloth.

I only wiped the blades with some glass cleaner (did not use Goo Gone on them).

This appeared to have done the trick - and the blades were back to running smoothly over the glass in the rain today.

Has anyone tried using different wiper blades on their Model S? When we picked up our car in March, the detailer applied Aquapel to the windshield. Ever since then, the blades stutter and drag across the windshield constantly. Six months later, the situation is slightly better, but the dragging is still there. Another 9 months of this will drive me crazy. I've tried cleaning the blades with alcohol which helps, but it's strictly temporary. My thought is that the arms of the S's blades are not rigid like on my old Saab. They seem to be a little floppier, which might be the problem? Can anyone suggest a solution or different wiper blades?

What I would sugest first would be to clean your windshield with the No Touch product sold at Walmart. Silicone coating tend to leave some water or small beads of water on the glass.
Then add a retrofit spring called surewipe on the arm to increase pressure on the wiper blade. The blade needs
to be tight to the windshield in view of preventing the air lift effect when at high speed or when driving facing the wind. The rubber of the blade act as a gasket and if there is not enough pressure, it will leak and leave a bad wiping.

Then add a retrofit spring called surewipe on the arm to increase pressure on the wiper blade.

I'm not sure I'd do that on the Model S. My wiper motor seems kinda feeble. If I accidentally hit the turn signal end and cause a wipe on dry glass, I've noticed the system seems to strain a bit and the wiper sometimes doesn't even completely park under the cowl. What I do then is hit the washer to make the glass "slippery" and it will park out of sight again. I'd be worried the spring would exacerbate this condition.

I can't believe that a Tesla owner has not tried Piaa Super Silicone wipers as yet. I have them on mt ICE cars and the are amazing. Piaa had not listed the Tesla yet but someone needs to measure thier wipers and buy using the size.