Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Serious question for the Techies: We have induction loops at just about every traffic light in this area (so the lights only change if someone is waiting); could they be adjusted to provide charging?

Basically I would say no. Starting with the very fine gauge wire loops that are designed to detect nearby ferrous metals, and not used to transmit gobs of energy.

But there is an idea there... Rather than cover the whole road/street with inductive charging, one could just put them at intersections where the vehicles are more likely to be stationary for a while. But better still would be to put them at all parking spaces instead of on the road. There are just too many miles/kms of roads to practically power them all.

Serious question for the Techies: We have induction loops at just about every traffic light in this area (so the lights only change if someone is waiting); could they be adjusted to provide charging?

Probably not. It's difficult to share a coil for two purposes, unless the circuit was originally designed to specifically accommodate both. The loop area and number of turns is not optimized for the purpose, either. I believe most of these "air gap transformers" use resonance to boost the transfer efficiency, and that would probably be incompatible with the sensing circuit.

Curious... a quick search for references brought up Nikola Tesla! Apparently he used inductive resonance coupling to provide wireless lighting in his offices.

By the way, on the recent Top Gear EV bashing episode they talked about their "great idea" of putting bumper car style electrified metal fences over all the roads to charge as you go.
Probably more efficient, cheaper and easier to install than inductive under the road. (But still impractical, ugly and possibly dangerous.)
Personally I still think that charging while stopped is the way to go. We ought to have some buffer devices that slow charge themselves at the parking spot, and as soon as someone pulls up and plugs in they get a "quick blast of juice" and get fast charged quickly. Those same devices could be used for backup power when the grid is down, and to even the load between day and night to help reduce the need for new power plants. Having a buffer device means that ubiquitous 240V could still be the source for fast charging, and so we wouldn't have to scramble to provide 400+VAC to all the charge locations.

Inductive charging is probably only good for L2 charge rates. Probably not a good idea to put 50kW+ through such a system.

By the way, on the recent Top Gear EV bashing episode they talked about their "great idea" of putting bumper car style electrified metal fences over all the roads to charge as you go.....

I just thought about all the electric trains and buses that already exist with overhead power.

We had a video here of a bus that would charge it's batteries at it's stop as well.

Yes, I posted various pix of the SF electrified bus system with overhead power lines on some of the earlier threads.
And down near San Jose we have the "light rail" which is overhead electrified too. It works better if the vehicles are a standardized size/shape.
But the Top Gear guys are probably right to mock it as "bumper car like". I don't see individual car owners warming up to having a rod sticking out of their vehicle scraping along an overhead power line. I still thinking charging while parked makes more sense. Those electrified trolleys and buses have a fixed route so they can stay on the power and not need batteries. For individual cars you basically need batteries to go all those places which don't/couldn't have overhead power lines.

. I don't see individual car owners warming up to having a rod sticking out of their vehicle scraping along an overhead power line...

As I watched that segment I kept thinking that someone was going to say "Slot Car". It's bee said about the Roadster many times.

Did the UK go though that craze we had in the 60's/70's here in the US?

Probably not. It's difficult to share a coil for two purposes, unless the circuit was originally designed to specifically accommodate both. The loop area and number of turns is not optimized for the purpose, either. I believe most of these "air gap transformers" use resonance to boost the transfer efficiency, and that would probably be incompatible with the sensing circuit.
If every vehicle was properly equipped, the sensor would only need to detect that charging was taking place. Legacy vehicles would just have to wait...

In-Road Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging Breakthrough Yields 90% Efficiency | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World
rsz-inductive-charger.jpg

Basically I would say no. Starting with the very fine gauge wire loops that are designed to detect nearby ferrous metals, and not used to transmit gobs of energy.

But there is an idea there... Rather than cover the whole road/street with inductive charging, one could just put them at intersections where the vehicles are more likely to be stationary for a while. But better still would be to put them at all parking spaces instead of on the road. There are just too many miles/kms of roads to practically power them all.

+ the cable has to be different, small segments, isolated against each other to avoid the skin effect. The European car makers agreed on a transmission frequency of about 140 kHz

TripleSolution: An innovation with three distinctive advantages

Mobility thanks to sunlight – even at night:

TripleSolution uses the renewable energy sources "sun" and "wind". It is capable of buffering this energy and to deliver it when it is required.

The basis of TripleSolution is a charging station equipped with photovoltaic cells or a wind turbine. The charging station generates energy for charging the battery without a connection to the public power grid.

This allows for quick and cost-effective installation and expansion of electric mobility – CO2 -free.

TripleSolution means that the charging station can handle the energy distribution in three different ways.

Let's take a charging station with photovoltaic technology as an example:

The sun is shining and a vehicle arrives at the station:
The generated energy is transferred directly to the vehicle.
The sun is shining and there is no vehicle at the station:
The generated energy is stored for future charging demand.
The sun is not shining and a vehicle arrives at the station:
The stored energy is transferred to the vehicle.

In the event that the sun is not shining, the energy buffer is empty, and a vehicle arrives at the station, the charging station will be supplied with energy from the public grid. If more energy is generated than is used, the excess amount can be supplied to the public grid.

TripleSolution distributes the generated energy to three different receivers: "energy buffer", "electric vehicle", "public power grid". During most of the time, TripleSolution is an isolated network, which reduces the strain on the public power grid.

found the video only on the webside ...

http://sew-eurodrive.com/s_loesungen/loesungen_elektromobilitaet_regenerative_energie.shtml

TripleSolution: An innovation with three distinctive advantages

found the video only on the webside ...

http://sew-eurodrive.com/s_loesungen/loesungen_elektromobilitaet_regenerative_energie.shtml

It's already working with a Eco Carrier, City Sax (Airport Frankfurt) and soon with a iMiev
And if you look on the website or download the brochure you will find the some other applications for industrial usage with wireless energy transfer.
Even some "hybrids" are already in use , ultra caps for fast charging on tracks with wireless energy transfer, to travel for a short time on tracks without wireless energy transfer., e.g. for passing waiting vehicles (AGVs)