Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity how much would y'all pay for a ready made - turn key, solution that's plug and play?
Just to set expectations here, the oem heated wheel is $1k and clockspring with stalks is 250. Shrouds are 120. That’s just the parts before any wiring or my custom stuff. You can find some of these on eBay but ynmv and heated wheels are not cheap there.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Murtaya and Atraf
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about a 3/Y wheel as I have a Hannshow wheel. I was thinking just the clockspring with stalks, shroud, and custom hardware/software.

Thank you for the sanity check @rhuber. Sounds like my offer is on the low side. Looks like we're talking $800 or so (for the non-wheel package) then? I would do that.

Reactions: Murtaya
Just to set expectations here, the oem heated wheel is $1k and clockspring with stalks is 250. Shrouds are 120. That’s just the parts before any wiring or my custom stuff. You can find some of these on eBay but ynmv and heated wheels are not cheap there.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about a 3/Y wheel as I have a Hannshow wheel. I was thinking just the clockspring with stalks, shroud, and custom hardware/software.

Thank you for the sanity check @rhuber. Sounds like my offer is on the low side. Looks like we're talking $800 or so (for the non-wheel package) then? I would do that.
Thank you, for me, honestly, I would be happy to pay $5,000 especially if that included installation (but not a must)
I view it as ratio of benefit vs cost... and can't think of anything more beneficial one can buy for a vehicle than this.

Reactions: Murtaya
So, is this still a work in progress? I have spent a fair amount of time with a yoke, and it will 100% prevent me from buying another S.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found @rhuber's last post saying it's dead in the water. Oh well. Someone will continue the work sooner or later, I'd wager.
Hi @trymes you are probably aware but there are aftermarket wheel options to replace the yoke. You won't have stalks but at least the main ergonomic sin of the yoke itself can be resolved.

This would be so ridiculously easy for Tesla to offer a wheel option, a stalk option, or both. I am really glad they are planing on getting rid of stalks on the Model 3/Y, if the rumor holds true. Those cars are made for the masses, and there will be such an outpouring of complaints that Tesla will have to fix it, and maybe then we can get help.
No such info that they will do it on 3/Y.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Sadly even costumer outrage won't move Tesla an inch.
Only when they start pilling up in parking lots of delivery centers with new vehicle delivery time frame being hours rather than months will they consider a change, sucks to say but until that happens my next EV is not a stalkless Tesla :| (have few preorders, atm Rivian R1S looks like the winner but time will tell)

Reactions: aerodyne
If Tesla was about cutting costs all the way, it would be much worse car than it is. It's a baseless drama.
All I can say is that ignorance is bliss. You have (checks profile) 2 years of experience with Tesla and I have (checks profile) 12. I have watched Tesla go from a whatever it takes to be the best company to a whatever is cheapest company. Removal of the dedicated rain sensor, removal of radar, removal of ultrasonic sensors, removal of stalks, removal of half of the steering wheel, removal of passenger lumbar support, vinyl interiors, and on and on and on and on. Every single one of these decisions has made the car worse than it was before the change. Every single one.

All I can say is that ignorance is bliss. You have (checks profile) 2 years of experience with Tesla and I have (checks profile) 12. I have watched Tesla go from a whatever it takes to be the best company to a whatever is cheapest company. Removal of the dedicated rain sensor, removal of radar, removal of ultrasonic sensors, removal of stalks, removal of half of the steering wheel, removal of passenger lumbar support, vinyl interiors, and on and on and on and on. Every single one of these decisions has made the car worse than it was before the change. Every single one.
^ 100% refreshing, objective truth.

@strider nailed it there. Everything they seem to be doing is making things worse. The focus on cheap cheap cheap is a mistake, especially for the S/X. Sat in a Kia EV6 tonight, and the interior is nicer than my Model 3 Performance. That's right: A Kia (A BLEEDING KIA!!!!) has a nicer interior. Saw the Genesis version of that car a week ago, and the interior was in a complete different league (though not to my taste).

I won't consider the Kia to replace the 3, but *only* because Tesla still has three remaining advantages:
  1. Efficiency
  2. Supercharger Network
  3. Software UI & Route Planning
I have loved both of my Teslas, and still do. I like the design, performance, and software UI (though I'd pay thousands for a v.10 downgrade!!!!), but the company's "We know what is best, and that's what you'll get." paternalistic attitude is obnoxious. The yoke and the stalks are both perfect examples of that: "No amount of customer dissatisfaction will dissuade us!"

Last edited:
Hi @trymes you are probably aware but there are aftermarket wheel options to replace the yoke. You won't have stalks but at least the main ergonomic sin of the yoke itself can be resolved.
I did see a thread about that, but most of them look downright fugly to my eye (like the TSportline one), or super boy-racer. I just want a first-gen S wheel to replace the yoke, but I suppose the Hansshow one does look OK-ish, even if the flat bottom is a bit lame (and ergonomically sub-par) in my view.

Thanks for the heads up!

I did see a thread about that, but most of them look downright fugly to my eye (like the TSportline one), or super boy-racer. I just want a first-gen S wheel to replace the yoke, but I suppose the Hansshow one does look OK-ish, even if the flat bottom is a bit lame (and ergonomically sub-par) in my view.

Thanks for the heads up!
I agree that many are as weird as the yoke they are replacing. I have the Hansshow one. It does have a flat bottom but that is the style these days. The old S/X wheel had a squared-off bottom, my C6 Corvette, the Volvo XC40 Recharge, the Kia EV6, etc. I don't really notice it. Yes, the stripe is boy racer but it's an option.

pxl_20220517_224046885-jpg.805753

Reactions: trymes
I agree that many are as weird as the yoke they are replacing. I have the Hansshow one. It does have a flat bottom but that is the style these days. The old S/X wheel had a squared-off bottom, my C6 Corvette, the Volvo XC40 Recharge, the Kia EV6, etc. I don't really notice it. Yes, the stripe is boy racer but it's an option.
That does look pretty good. I think I'd go with full leather, myself (I'm boring, it turns out).

I managed to get used to the lack of stalks, somewhat, but that also is a huge problem for me. I mean, I can do it, it's just...worse.

The wiper controls are actually the biggest issue, as the 3/Y controls are already embarrassingly bad, and this takes it to a whole other (crappier) level, unfortunately.

Reactions: tm1v2