Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like something that a marketer wrote, right? The existing calipers are up to the task - we've run them in lapping sessions up to 1500f rotor temps and had zero issues with boiling fluid or flexing etc. The fronts are a good design from Brembo that is used on Ferraris etc. The rears are a electronic design from Mando/Brembo and Tesla that works well for dual use.

The problem is primarily the pads being designed for low friction and maintenance for daily driving that 95%+ of S owners will do. The rotors are not up to race/lapping use, but decent for a street car.
It’s going to be a substantive change, I imagine. Time will tell!

Reactions: Gninoked
That’s not a 3/Y wheel. It’s clearly a made-for-S/X wheel.

(Speaking of the retrofit/new S cars, not this third-party mod the thread was originally created about).
Thanks. Now that I look at them side by side you're right. They kept the center/electronics from the yoke and made a wheel - like the aftermarket folks did.

Still an opportunity to retrofit stalks though.

Wheel is the new default. If that’s not admitting defeat, what is? Still no stalks. LOL. Enjoy.
As there are no stalks on this ... its dead on arrival for me, I hope you and your friend seen this and made no changes to your future plans for an (expensive) solution, as per your poll, we the people .. want stalks, and will pay gladly*

* because if our daily/weekly routine involves public charging, despite all madness, Tesla is still only option in NA, those that can charge at home/work exclusively can look into alternatives ... I suppose

Reactions: 4SUPER9
Because I'm a tinkerer4lyfe, I'm gonna buy the new round one to play. I can pretty easily reassign the haptic buttons and add stalks, so it might turn out to be a neat solution. My only concern is the size. I love the model 3 wheel size and don't want something like the bus-sized wheel I had in my 2019 Model X.

Edit: Also, some of what makes this interesting for modding is

1) radically less LIN translation if someone only wants stalks.
2) it is actually cheaper than a 3/Y wheel from tesla. They charge $1000 for the 3/Y wheel. I suspect they are selling this retrofit at cost, or close to it.

Last edited:
Because I'm a tinkerer4lyfe, I'm gonna buy the new round one to play. I can pretty easily reassign the haptic buttons and add stalks, so it might turn out to be a neat solution. My only concern is the size. I love the model 3 wheel size and don't want something like the bus-sized wheel I had in my 2019 Model X.

Edit: Also, some of what makes this interesting for modding is

1) radically less LIN translation if someone only wants stalks.
2) it is actually cheaper than a 3/Y wheel from tesla. They charge $1000 for the 3/Y wheel. I suspect they are selling this retrofit at cost, or close to it.
I’d be very interested to see how that goes, and whether you would have to turn in your old yoke (that is probably gathering dust anyway).

I am grateful that you are still willing to work on this project. The lack of stalks seems to be most people’s concern. It certainly is for me. I am somewhat fine with the yoke, except for it’s stupid lack of a real horn button. Hence why I will likely upgrade mine anyway.

I’d be very interested to see how that goes, and whether you would have to turn in your old yoke (that is probably gathering dust anyway).

I am grateful that you are still willing to work on this project. The lack of stalks seems to be most people’s concern. It certainly is for me. I am somewhat fine with the yoke, except for it’s stupid lack of a real horn button. Hence why I will likely upgrade mine anyway.
I'm super curious whether the wheel will finally have a center horn. My $$ is on "no".

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Hey everyone, I just had a realization: one of the (annoying) features of our yokes is the haptic buttons. They are a bitch to locate/use. The one thing that helps knowing where they are is the position of the yoke itself. If at an angle, we know that the signals are on the left side of the yoke, and horn button on the right. Yes, nearly impossible to use when the yoke is not as straight, but we still have a sense.
With a round wheel and haptic buttons, finding those buttons is going to be even worse. The only indicator we will have is the design of center of the wheel/airbag.

I would guess at the time that Plan A was to lean into the yoke only and let the dust settle on the Yays and the Nays. Looks like the market and feedback spoke loud enough that Tesla was forced to now offer the option at purchase and a retrofit for existing. If a third party stalk solution appears, there will be peace in the land.
I can generally manage for the most part without turn signal stalks, but doing any kind of back and forth maneuvering with the on-screen shifter is a complete joke, - laughably stupid. It's downright dangerous when you need to do an emergency reverse, e.g. moving through a tricky stop sign but need to back up a little when a car is coming.

I'll have to post the video of me nearly reversing into a parked car while parallel parking because I thought I had swiped in the right place or enough, but hadn't, and... oy... Sure, it would have been my mistake, but it was REALLY a close one that would never, ever have happened in my Model 3 where you can shift blindfolded.

Actually, here you go, - just uploaded it. You can see where I meant to be in D, and was still in R. Missed hitting the car by about... nothing.

Last edited:
What's a lie? Elon specifically said there would not be a round wheel.

That was well more than a year ago at launch. People back then speculated there would be a wheel option at launch (due to leaked photos) and in context it was true there wasn't. I think it's fair if they push out an option now in response to customer feedback well over a year, rather than sticking with no option.