Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would AP2 ever support the DashCam feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not holding my breath, they have zero incentive to do retrofits vs using supply for new sales, I think it will take months, maybe over a year before we get a retrofit. And then we have that little redundancy problem they fixed with 2.5 for the radar, but all they’ve ever said is they’ll upgrade the ECU, so it’s starting to look bleak if you bought the car between oct 2016 and August 2017.
There should be "just shattered my dreams" rating for the posts :p

• Funny
Reactions: croman
Always have to be careful around the major changes as there is always older stock around in the channel, it was the same with MCU2
That has always been the risk with technology. (Tesla is primarily a technology driven car.) Technology always improves and Tesla implements improvements as soon as they can rather than wait for a new "model year". You don't ever have much warning about new technology. It just happens. You can be guaranteed that Tesla will introduce new technology every year. The only way to keep up is to keep buying new cars. Occasionally, upgrades will be offered but you can't count on that to keep you up to date.
I've taken a much cheaper attitude. I am very happy with my AP1 car and intend to drive it as long as I can. I don't need to have the latest tech. Someday, some new very compelling technology may be introduced but until then, I am very happy.

I’m not holding my breath, they have zero incentive to do retrofits vs using supply for new sales, I think it will take months, maybe over a year before we get a retrofit. And then we have that little redundancy problem they fixed with 2.5 for the radar, but all they’ve ever said is they’ll upgrade the ECU, so it’s starting to look bleak if you bought the car between oct 2016 and August 2017.

:eek::(:mad:

Well , I don't want to disappoint AP2 folks (I'm one of them) but based one the AP firmware AP2 hardware seams to be a dead end. All development it concentrated around Model3 and Model S/X with AP2.x hardware. We've tried to get dashcam working on AP2 car but a lot of stuff is missing (libraries ) on APE2 cars so as of today it's not possible.

Well , I don't want to disappoint AP2 folks (I'm one of them) but based one the AP firmware AP2 hardware seams to be a dead end. All development it concentrated around Model3 and Model S/X with AP2.x hardware. We've tried to get dashcam working on AP2 car but a lot of stuff is missing (libraries ) on APE2 cars so as of today it's not possible.

But the good news is they have pretty much stated that all AP2 cars will have a migration path to AP3 -- right -- As AP2 cars were all sold with the premise that they will support FSD and they even said when they sold AP2 cars that worst case scenarios the cars will need a hardware update but that one would be available.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
But the good news is they have pretty much stated that all AP2 cars will have a migration path to AP3 -- right -- As AP2 cars were all sold with the premise that they will support FSD and they even said when they sold AP2 cars that worst case scenarios the cars will need a hardware update but that one would be available.

They also said all cars with “enhanced autopilot” will get sentry mode and other features that are currently exclusive to 2.5+. I don’t think there’s any guarantee at this point. Tesla seems happy to pretend that HW 2 doesn’t exist.

They also said all cars with “enhanced autopilot” will get sentry mode and other features that are currently exclusive to 2.5+. I don’t think there’s any guarantee at this point. Tesla seems happy to pretend that HW 2 doesn’t exist.

So is the consensus of some that going forward some of the cutting edge AP/FSD features they will be implementing simply will not work with HW 2.0? :eek: If this is the case, they really must have a proper upgrade path as so many customers bought HW 2.0 cars based on the promise of being able yo upgrade their cars to achieve FSD.

Elon has promises a lot of stuff, but not much was delivered. My best educated guess is that Tesla will wait until AP2 cars become obsolete (like AP1 cars right now) they promised to update hardware for FSD which is not going to be ready for the next two years for sure. They most likely release HW3 but will not update hw to anybody since FSD is not ready and feature disparity between AP2 and AP2.5+ will grow with every new release of firmware and a lot of people will just buy a new car.

Here is a script that run dashcam
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec 2>&1

# Load apparmor profile in complain mode
true \
    || exit 1

bootcount=$(/sbin/bootcount)
# Do not start any boards other than model_3 hw2.5/hw3
IS_HW25=$(fgrep "Tesla DAS HW2.5" /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model)
IS_HW3=$(fgrep "Tesla DAS HW3" /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model)
if [ -z "$IS_HW25" ] && [ -z "$IS_HW3" ] ; then
    exit 1
fi

# Enable WARNING, ERROR, and FATAL logs
export TESLA_ENABLE_GLOG=3

# Allow promotion to SCHED_FIFO priority upto 90
ulimit -l unlimited -r 90

echo "Boot $bootcount: Launching backup-camera $(/sbin/uptime-seconds) s after boot"

IS_MODEL3=$(/sbin/boardid |grep model_3)

if [ "$IS_HW3" ]; then
    if [ "$IS_MODEL3" ]; then
        exec chpst -o 4096 -u backup_camera:autopilot:camera:display:gpgpu:ipc:rtdv:log /opt/autopilot/bin/backup_camera
    fi
else
    OPTS=""
    if [ -z "$IS_MODEL3" ]; then
        # On ModeS/X HW25, only dashcam is on
        OPTS="--backupcam=0 --dashcam=1"
    else
        # On Model3, both backup camera and dashcam is on
        OPTS="--backupcam=1 --dashcam=1"
    fi
    REV_ID=$(/sbin/boardid | grep -i rev | cut -d':' -f2)

exec chpst -o 4096 -u backup_camera:autopilot:camera:display:gpgpu:ipc:rtdv:log /opt/autopilot/bin/backup_camera --rev_id ${REV_ID} ${OPTS}
fi

if you notice Model 3 supports backupcam parameter which requires HDMI which doesn't exist on Model S/X (even with AP2.5 hardware)

• Informative
Reactions: croman and Kant.Ing