Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would it hurt Tesla to put one J1772 Port at every Supercharger location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last point I'd like to make is with the Model 3....If SuperCharging will be an option with the Model 3, this would be a good selling point to get potential Model 3 buyers onboard by showing that they can still charge, albeit slowly, at SuperCharger locations. If they find themselves charging often on L2's at SC locations, they will be more-inclined to upgrade to SC.

I believe that such a policy would be more of a liability to Tesla than an asset. Imagine the user experience problems that would likely result. You decide you want to take a road trip for the long holiday weekend, and so you set out on your trip, pull into the Supercharger location, and plug in -- for four hours. Meanwhile, others who have been told the same thing ("you don't need that supercharger option!") show up, expecting the same. You could have a wait time of 4, 8, or even 12 hours - and that's only with 3 cars!

The Model 3 fleet is going to be huge. If anything, Tesla needs to push the envelope on Supercharging a bit more - get higher throughput and density to get people in and out faster.

Contention is ____the____ problem for charging for long-distance travel, so you want people in and out as soon as possible, which means you want spots to be fast.

J1772slow serves an entirely different purpose and should be set up independently, in different locations.

Also, Tesla is __deliberately avoiding__ dealing with point-of-use payment in order to
a) lower the cost of equipment and management
b) match expenditure to revenue
No point-of-use fees handled by Tesla.

Tesla's model is to make long-distance BEVs. These require fast chargers for long trips and AC chargers at home, at hotels and at destinations. Except in some extremely dense cities, Superchargers are located for travel. For hotels and destinations, Tesla has their destination charging program. Tesla has Superchargers at some hotels, but these are simply making use of proximity to highways and spare parking spaces.

Last edited:
I believe that such a policy would be more of a liability to Tesla than an asset. Imagine the user experience problems that would likely result. You decide you want to take a road trip for the long holiday weekend, and so you set out on your trip, pull into the Supercharger location, and plug in -- for four hours. Meanwhile, others who have been told the same thing ("you don't need that supercharger option!") show up, expecting the same. You could have a wait time of 4, 8, or even 12 hours - and that's only with 3 cars!

The Model 3 fleet is going to be huge. If anything, Tesla needs to push the envelope on Supercharging a bit more - get higher throughput and density to get people in and out faster.

OTOH, Tesla has done this at a few locations that required J1772 as a condition of the Supercharger. Rancho Cucamonga is a good example.

Adding a 70 Amp J1772 outlet to most Supercharger locations would also be a great help to those loyal Roadster owners!

OTOH, Tesla has done this at a few locations that required J1772 as a condition of the Supercharger. Rancho Cucamonga is a good example.

Adding a 70 Amp J1772 outlet to most Supercharger locations would also be a great help to those loyal Roadster owners!

Ahh, "compliance chargers" has a ring to it (even though technically it's probably more like "enabling EVSE's"). :)

I think that's reasonable for contract purposes, and as long as it doesn't create the expectation that you can bypass the supercharger option because you don't mind sitting a few hours at each supercharger location.

Agree. Having Supercharging but not being able to use it in the 60 really harms your road trip capability. Still possible but you are looking at 4-12hours for a full charge.

I don't use the car for road trips (that's what the Model X is going to be for). As I had mentioned, 200 miles is more than enough for me 99.9% of the time. I have racked-up 18K miles in one year while only charging publicly once. There are times when just charging for an hour or even 30 minutes would get me the buffer I might need and a reliable location for L2 like Supercharger sites would just be great. I realize it's not going to happen but from my point of view, it would be a very nice thing.

I can't justify $2,000 for Supercharger add-on that I might only use a couple of times (maybe never) and when L2 would be enough for the small extra buffer that I need. For example, I'm 100 miles from New York so I can make it there and back, but I don't like to cut it that close. A 30 to 60 minute L2 charge during lunch would be all I needed. Yes, a 30-minute Supercharge would almost "fill me up", but I don't need that.

I'm sure I will be using SuperChargers a lot with the Model X when we get it. At least once a year on our 2,000 mile round trip drive to Florida.