Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a black car again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a black MY and I love the color but it’s generally parked in a garage. For the few months when I had to park outside, it was hard to keep it as clean as I wanted. I would probably not chose black if it were always parked outdoors.

Struggling with black or white and never had a black car. Will be parked on the street so concerned how long it will stay black...
the MY looks good in darker colors, but outdoors, black is a challenge.
and, black shows swirl marks easily, so the increased cleaning will end up showing

if you must go dark, go for the MSM. That won't show the weather as much.

Black is the best look for just about any car. For the first 5 minutes after washing that is. Keeping a black car clean and looking good is a career. My Vette is black, only driven in good weather and it is still a pain to keep clean.

Nope. I loved a lot of things about my 2019 Model 3, but the color wasn’t one of them. It was great when clean, but showed every little scratch.

IMG_1797.jpeg

White hides everything. I’m also really enjoying my MSM Model Y.

IMG_2790.jpeg

After owning an 87 Grand National and 86 WH1. I will try to avoid black unless that is the only color the car I want, comes in! 🤣 Black cars look amazing when clean, but it was dirty/dusty by the time I put up the cleaning supplies. Being we live in the dusty Texas Panhandle, I will try to avoid owning a black car.

Reactions: KA in NC
My first car was black. My second car was white. I've owned several other color cars in between. It didn't take too long into my 'car owning career' to realize lighter color cars are the way to go! Black looks great in the first year of ownership and especially at night. But, it won't be long until the aforementioned disadvantages (scratches, dirt/dust) are realized. Almost every single car I've owned for the past 20 years (with the exception of a silver C6 Corvette GS) has been white. As a matter of fact, my wife owned a black car when we were dating; she now owns a white vehicle. ;)

Reactions: yellowr6 and WNC-MY
Nope. Did it once awhile ago, never again.

Nothing looks better than a clean, black car... unfortunately it's extremely hard to keep them that way. Any amount of dirt is really seen.

I like white cars more. When they get a little dirty, they just look like a different shade of white. Recently I've been a fan of dark gray, but it does show dirt a little more.

Reactions: TomB985
I snapped a photo today that illustrates how well MSM hides dirt. My car has driven through several rainstorms since it was last washed, and it has a coat of scum over the entire thing. You notice it when you get close, but it fades into the paint color almost perfectly from a distance. Black doesn’t do this.

I’m a fan of all colors but black.
IMG_2892.jpeg

Had a few black cars in a row. Wouldn’t get one again if I was parking it outdoors. If you like to keep your car washed frequently black is good looking. If you don’t and it’s frequently dirty then it’s kind of pointless to go black IMO. I’d go the MSM route personally.

Had a black Honda Ridgeline and Cadillac ELR. It doesn’t matter how well you maintain it you’ll get chips and scratches period. Swirls were so noticeable that I really felt defeated at times detailing the ELR.

Plus Tesla paint is not what you would call premium by most accounts. MSM is my fav..which is what my wife has, followed by red ( I’d never drive one though) and my current S in white. When I upgrade to a refreshed S it will be to a MSM.

I’ve had 4 and swore each time never again but my 5th is our MY - black with xpel stealth. I would 100% own black again but only with full ppf. We have a MSM M3 and I can’t fall in love with the color so will also be getting full xpel stealth on that as well.