Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saved about $8000 in electric last year across my MS & MX. Similar sized vehicle I'd be around $15k in gasoline. Holding on to these til they are flat dead, will be having 057Tech.com upgrade batteries to 100's when they die after warranty's are up, and actively looking for a low priced used vehicle for my Son. Bought a 2012 P85 with a dead HV battery in March, had a refurbished pack put in by Recell, was going to keep it for my Son when he gets his license next year, however, a friends 2013 was totaled when the garage/shed it gets parked in collapsed the last snow storm of the season, due to the weight of the wet heavy snow. I think I'll go to a 2016 this time around. the 2012 reminded me of all the early production quirks and why I replaced my 2013 with a 2016.

45,000 miles/year. Your factoring in home utility rates, not supercharging rates should I need to charge at home. Wisconsin superchargers are also priced per minute, not per kWh which ends up pricing out somewhere around 32-48ish cents/kWh. My MX which I use for towing my BIG trailer (attached photo), and my other larger trailers, also has a slow supercharging rate. once I get to 50% SOC, speeds slow down to the 50kW rate or less. I also tow my camper cross country with my Model S as well as utility trailer, among other drives.
Teardrop cuts my MS range in half. I can just barely squeeze out 70 miles per charge on the MX with my big trailer if I stay off the freeway (over 1kWh/mile and yes, it's within the MX's towing capacity, I can't wait for my Cyber Truck!).
I'm not going to go to extreme lengths as to my total usage breaking it all down for you, it would take too long, however, it would add up big time $$$$ at a supercharger. Either way, I do approximately 12-16 mWh for each of my vehicles per year, sometimes more. Done at superchargers it adds up big time.
LONG Range Cyber Truck will be nice, especially if I can do most charging at home. Will need to upgrade my Solar though. Either way, will be milking the free supercharging as long as I can.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    724.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0274.jpeg
    IMG_0274.jpeg
    902.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9088.jpeg
    IMG_9088.jpeg
    678 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9090.jpeg
    IMG_9090.jpeg
    861.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 62458149012__B2CE8886-2651-4D96-B8D6-50A8C1B4BD61.JPG
    62458149012__B2CE8886-2651-4D96-B8D6-50A8C1B4BD61.JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4858.jpeg
    IMG_4858.jpeg
    573.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Informative
Reactions: aesculus
45,000 miles/year. Your factoring in home utility rates, not supercharging rates should I need to charge at home.
This is kinda my point.

If you didn’t have free supercharging you’d no doubt charge at home much more, ya?

If that’s the case, the money “saved” or cost avoided is your residential electric rate, not the price at the supercharger. At least for the charging you would/could do at home (not the road trips obviously).

This is kinda my point.

If you didn’t have free supercharging you’d no doubt charge at home much more, ya?

If that’s the case, the money “saved” or cost avoided is your residential electric rate, not the price at the supercharger. At least for the charging you would/could do at home (not the road trips obviously).
If someone is driving 45K miles in an year, not much of that charging would/could be happening at home.

This is kinda my point.

No, wouldn't make much of a difference. maybe 10% more at home. Supercharger at the grocery store we go to anyways, so of course we plug in there. Otherwise, no, would not be possible to charge at home much more. In 2013, I did manage to do 26,000 miles with no superchargers and only ~5x J1772's in the entire state of Wisconsin. It mostly hell, lots of very slow driving, winter driving without heat and more. Not practical. CHAdeMO adapter would have been a godsend back then, too bad it didn't release until 2015, after superchargers were installed.
Anyways, no, not avoiding residential rates, the majority of my supercharging is out and about. I know when I need to run to Chicagoland and back, thats an easy 100 kWh of supercharging away from home. God I hate driving in Chicago.