Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Tesla needs to allow those who have it and don't want it to sell it to those who can't get it...
That will never happen, because people who don't use it much (saving Tesla money) would want to sell it to people who use it a lot (making Tesla money). Hey I can't even trade my car in and get FUSC anymore, even though that was a thing when I bought the car (Dec 2016)

Reactions: BerTX
I suspect that some of the mileage is intended as a write off for depreciation and some as actual fuel costs. Logically speaking, one should only get a partial credit if fuel costs don’t exist, but I don’t think there’s a procedure for that at this time.
A Tesla depreciates more than a Honda Civic, there is no procedure to get more per mile than a guy with a Civic either. The credit is an average rate determined by the IRS, if you have a cheaper car, you win, if you burn less fuel you win, if you travel via a used bicycle, win-win all around (and you get a health benefit from exercise, plus smaller carbon footprint than even a Tesla). :)

Hey I can't even trade my car in and get FUSC anymore, even though that was a thing when I bought the car (Dec 2016)
You have two options:
  1. You could trade in for a used car and get lifetime FUSC on any car that was ordered before 1/15/17.
  2. Get 3 years of FUSC when buying a new car if you currently have FUSC.
We have both: lifetime on one car and 3 years on another.

I have a later Model S with free lifetime SC, but ONLY if I keep the car; it expires if I relinquish possession.

I wonder how much my car would go up in value if I could sell it with the free lifetime SC.
It depends on the buyer. Many buyers will say they don't care it that they never do road trips or would rarely Supercharge. I sold my transferable Supercharging S to a buyer who likes do to cross-country road trips. Obviously he saw value in it. :)

Anyone who bought FSD will get it

Check out @elonmusk’s Tweet: Elon Musk on Twitter

He already forgot about HW2.0...See today's tweet...

"Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free. This is the only change between Autopilot HW2.5 & HW3. Going forward “HW3” will just be called FSD Computer, which is accurate. No change to vehicle sensors or wire harness needed. This is v important."

Back on topic though...I would give up FUSC for ummmm...$349.53. Chalk it up!

• Helpful
Reactions: Decibelle
He already forgot about HW2.0...See today's tweet...

"Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free. This is the only change between Autopilot HW2.5 & HW3. Going forward “HW3” will just be called FSD Computer, which is accurate. No change to vehicle sensors or wire harness needed. This is v important."

Back on topic though...I would give up FUSC for ummmm...$349.53. Chalk it up!
The tweet I posted was sent by Elon after the tweet you cited. Many asked about AP2 and he replied that anyone with FSD will be upgraded. AP2 buyers had the option of ordering the same FSD so his answer about them being upgraded still applies.

The tweet I posted was sent by Elon after the tweet you cited. Many asked about AP2 and he replied that anyone with FSD will be upgraded. AP2 buyers had the option of ordering the same FSD so his answer about them being upgraded still applies.
I didn't get a warm fuzzy from that. The fact that he specifically called out 2.5 -> 3 being a simple swap, makes me think 2.0 owners go to the bottom of the upgrade list because it's going to be more difficult, therefore more $$$$.:(

On the bright side, those with 2.0 all have FUSC if they're original owners, or if they were built in the first few months of AP2 release.:)

Look at the video where they introduce battery swapping, and Elon says "Supercharging is, and always will be free".
Elon says whatever his audience want to hear at the time. Once he makes the sale, he ignores anything he said to get the sale. He'd make a good politician, or a car salesman - oh wait, he is a car salesman, a very sucessfull one. ;)

Reactions: dbldwn02
I've driven my 2015 P85D with free supercharging 50k miles in four years but have never once used a supercharger. All my MS driving has been within a 100 mile radius, but because of my location - I have a farm 45 miles west of DC - my minimum drive for any purpose is 15 miles round trip, while most round trips are 50 - so I do put on the miles. My car has an 80 amp dual charger (which is no longer offered) so home charging is fast. I just pull into the garage and plug it in every time I come home - then it's automatically ready to go for the next trip. For me, this is one of the greatest advantages of having a Tesla. Since all my MS driving is reachable on a charge, I never have to go and waste time and effort adding energy at some remote location, whether supercharging the battery or filling a tank. As a result it feels like the MS has infinite range: a vast improvement over ICE cars that need to go to gas stations. Someone upthread made the analogy that unnecessary supercharging is like taking your laundry to the laundromat instead of washing it in the machine at home: I agree.

My only longer drives are visits to relatives 600 miles away, where we use my wife's SUV. It takes about nine hours driving mostly at 80 MPH with one significant gas/restroom/dog-walking stop. We can depart at 8 AM and be there at 5. If we tried the Tesla, there would likely be four stops, all off the highway, combined with a lower cruising speed to conserve charge, all of which would very likely get us there late enough to miss dinner at the folks. That is not a viable option. So here again, no supercharging.

I guess my point is that 1) the value of supercharging is highly dependent on the owner's particular situation and use case; and 2) it is also dependent on the value given to the convenience of home charging. For me, the result is that I do not care about free supercharging.

Elon says whatever his audience want to hear at the time. Once he makes the sale, he ignores anything he said to get the sale. He'd make a good politician, or a car salesman - oh wait, he is a car salesman, a very sucessfull one. ;)

Fair enough... but it's one thing to make a comment to someone in passing, and another matter, I think, to say something in a flashy presentation, record it and post it on the web site.

Reactions: ohmman