Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you like to see fsd as a subscription option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buy it for $6k means a subscription would be something like $150-$200/month? Probably more if just looking for a one month period. Not all that appealing I would think, but marginally more affordable perhaps. For real FSD, where the car assumes some liability, you'll probably be paying your $6k and a "subscription" to Tesla insurance. You can have both!

but would you all like to see it available as a subscription? I feel it would be better than paying 6-8K for fsd, because some people cant swallow the deep price, therefore a subscription would be much cheaper and affordable.

Yeah, sure, if subscription is free !

Otherwise, paying for nothing monthly would be even more painful than feeling foolish once!?

a

Right now FSD in and of itself - this is assuming you have AP+EAP - is 3000.
If you have Autopilot only (SR+) then FSD is 6000 currently.
This includes, solely:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
  • FSD computer (HW 3.0)
There is no reason to believe that anything prior to HW 3.0 can do the first two line items.

So my nutshell answer with that above understanding:
I do support the idea of subscription for software with the option to buy, but I don't believe we will see any FSD enablement without HW3.0, or at the least, it would be severely limited. Therefore it wouldn't be just subscription software, it would require the hardware as well.

On a related note, I have stated in other threads that they should allow folks who have Autopilot alone (no EAP, no FSD) to upgrade to the feature set of EAP for 3k. It's a bitter pill to pay 6k for the promises of FSD, even more so when there is nothing to actually consume at present.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
I think that FSD is overpriced now. Would be a fun rare convenience feature that I would pay 2k for or so, but not this ever escalating price based on the Tesla taxi service. I would never let the American public into my car especially unobserved. Would make more sense for Tesla to break down FSD into private pricing and Tesla network pricing. They could keep older cars who paid for FSD with access to the network and then charge an extra 20-30k for Tesla network for this whole appreciating asset thing and help appease early adopters if that fits their model, while still having a nice market advantage value for private sales.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
if it were to happen, i wouldnt pay for one month, yearly would be nice. im guessing pricing would be what 200 to 300? would be great to see that happen, as it would give everyone a chance to jump on that bandwagon

200-300 per what...? it sounds like you think it would be 200-300 per year, which means that somehow you believe they would convert a 6k price to something that would take 30 years to pay for?

I don't understand where this subscription idea comes from. It is incredibly unlikely to ever happen. For one, it would require Tesla to manage the subscriptions of hundreds of thousands of owners meaning that Tesla would have to keep track and send software updates to different owners to enable or disable certain features depending on whether that owner has started a FSD subscription or canceled it. And considering that Tesla believes that FSD will make Teslas much safer than manual driving, I think it is highly unlikely that Tesla will agree to a system where different owners can start or cancel FSD every month or every year.

I don't understand where this subscription idea comes from. It is incredibly unlikely to ever happen. For one, it would require Tesla to manage the subscriptions of hundreds of thousands of owners meaning that Tesla would have to keep track and send software updates to different owners to enable or disable certain features depending on whether that owner has started a FSD subscription or canceled it. And considering that Tesla believes that FSD will make Teslas much safer than manual driving, I think it is highly unlikely that Tesla will agree to a system where different owners can start or cancel FSD every month or every year.

Tesla is going to manage the data via subscription - right?

Most subscriptions are computer managed - right? Its just a database.

Reactions: calidreamz808
Tesla is going to manage the data via subscription - right?

Most subscriptions are computer managed - right? Its just a database.

They cant figure out how to do that right now.... they need to manage subscriptions to premium data (which should be a yearly subscription for many model 3 owners) and have not started charging people for that yet.

Reactions: Msjulie

SiriusXM has been doing that for 20 years...

Reactions: calidreamz808