Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pay for FSD if it stayed with the owner, not vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this has been discussed, and also considered internally by Tesla. However with such a low 'take-rate', wondering if this move isn't in the cards for the future. What are your thoughts? I'm on the fence with paying the $10k as it is in my order, but if it stayed with me and not the vehicle it would be a no brainer. Understood they're only going to increase the price over time, but I think that will push the take rate even lower, and I guess we'll see- but I don't suspect the subscription service will be very successful either.

Since its available as a subscription, why pay the full cost up front?
What if it sucks? What if the price drops? What if the government or Tesla lawyers rollback previous capability? I understand of there was a hardware investment, but this is software only. Pricing has to drop at some point, to get existing users to get it.

Reactions: Zebelkhan
Since its available as a subscription, why pay the full cost up front?
What if it sucks? What if the price drops? What if the government or Tesla lawyers rollback previous capability? I understand of there was a hardware investment, but this is software only. Pricing has to drop at some point, to get existing users to get it.

No. Why would I pay $10K for a system that remains a fantasy at this point? I might buy it if and when it works. I really hope it is a reality by the time the kids come to take the keys away (not so long now :().

Mostly because you can finance the price in, ran plopping down cash later on. The difference in financing vs subscription also isn't 1 for 1, much "cheaper" to finance in montly, at least for me

Reactions: preilly44
It all depends on the cost for a FSD lifetime subscription but you gotta know Tesla will rip you a new one so call it $25k-$30k. One thing for sure, Tesla never offers a bargain.

The price tag is ridiculous and in no way commensurate with today's performance. It's priced like a certified perfected automated driving app for a small FOMO crowd. That will last for a bit and then Tesla will need to get more aggressive with pricing to increase buyer demand. $12k works if the plan is to overcharge Uber and Lyft for future robotaxis service.

Eventually Tesla could spin off the FSD program so it's more available to other vehicle manufacturers without being a Tesla liability.

I'm sure this has been discussed,

Threads where this has been discussed, either in full or as part of the thread discussion. Found by searching TMC for "can FSD transfer with owner". Many with dozens or even hundreds of posts. Not all inclusive by any means:

So... yeah, you are right, its been discussed here before.

Threads where this has been discussed, either in full or as part of the thread discussion. Found by searching TMC for "can FSD transfer with owner". Many with dozens or even hundreds of posts. Not all inclusive by any means:

So... yeah, you are right, its been discussed here before.
cool thanks. Glad you spent your free time doing that, i guess

• Funny
Reactions: Madsen203