Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X announcement on Stephen Colbert?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched Tivo'd first night of Colbert.

EMBARRASSINGLY BAD.

From pathetic product placements ... Oreo and Humus to badly scripted Clooney.

Obviously Colbert cannot deliver a show without resorting to these tactics. WOWOWOW.

And political rubbish!

But for tonight, where I hope Elon can rise above the detritus, I will never watch again; even worse than Letterman!

I don't think you ever watched/enjoyed the Colbert Report :p

Watched last night's show. I thought it was good, if a little slow. They're just getting things figured out and it'll get much better. I thought is was a pretty good interview with Jeb Bush even though I didn't agree with a lot of what Jeb said.

I'm really interested to see the bit with Elon tonight. I just hope I can stay up late enough.

Just watched Tivo'd first night of Colbert.

EMBARRASSINGLY BAD.

From pathetic product placements ... Oreo and Humus to badly scripted Clooney.

Obviously Colbert cannot deliver a show without resorting to these tactics. WOWOWOW.

And political rubbish!

But for tonight, where I hope Elon can rise above the detritus, I will never watch again; even worse than Letterman!

Yikes, it was the guys first show in the new format, doing a new thing (no stranger to late night, but he is "being himself" now as opposed to the character he has been doing for 9 years, on a new network with new directors and obligations) Give him a while to get his rhythm before you write him off completely.

Last edited:
Colbert is TERRIBLE at interviewing. He never allows the guest to speak. That's why I stopped watching him on previously. He barely let Elon get a word in. Colbert wanted to tell the stories himself. CBS will have a lot of fixing to do with the Tonight Show. This could be a very bad mistake. If Elon wanted to divulge anything, Colbert did not offer the opportunity.

I haven't watched the episode yet (hasn't aired yet in the West) but in nearly ten years of watching Colbert interview, he's far from terrible at it. Frequently gets guests talking off their usual script.

That's not to say tonight's interview won't be bad.

Just saw on YouTube (I put a link in the existing thread in the video section, but it's not a CBS video, and may get pulled down shortly). I actually enjoyed the interview, but I already knew there wasn't going to be much of anything Tesla. While it didn't make me want to watch Colbert's show, I found it on par with other interviews I've seen of Elon on these types of shows.

I'm a Steven Colbert fan, and watched him regularly on Comedy Central, but I have to agree with some of the criticisms here.

Elon is an interesting guy, but Steven didn't pull anything interesting out of him. He over-talked the guest. Even Scarlett Johanssan told him to stop with the interruptions, so she can get a thought out. I get that this is part of his humor, but it works better on the Colbert Report when the narcissistic nature of his character is expected and adored, and the spot is short. On the Tonight Show, it's not going to appeal to the broader audience.

Just so happened, I was interested in both guests (for obvious reasons), and learned nothing.

Also, Steven was way too amped-up, and the product placement was pathetic (somehow that was funnier on the Colbert Report too). maybe there was just too much of that. Limit it to one shameless plug an episode.

I understand this is a new format for Colbert, but he and is team had 9 months to prepare. Get it together man.

Anyway, yeah, I was disappointed not to see Elon roll out in a Model X.

- - - Updated - - -

News flash: the mass market doesn't give much of a damn about Tesla yet.

I think you're wrong about that. They are very much intrigued by a billionaire who is building super cool electric cars, spaceships, hyperloops, and sustainable energy (not to mention the ecommerce in his past).

Tesla is used as click-bait constantly in media articles because of the high interest.

Whether they can afford the car or not is another story, but the interest is there.

If this YouTube link doesn't work, then there's always CBS. Elon Musk - Stephen Colbert Interview - The Late Show - 9/9/2015 - YouTube

Here is the CBS link: http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/video/

Immediately click on Stephen Colbert's photo to get to the video selections.

After Sept 10 you will need to search for the second episode named: Ep2 | 09/09/2015

After the show starts, if you zoom over to minute 27 then you will be faced with a bunch of repetitive commercials before you are allowed to view, but the CBS site will eventually show the Elon interview.

Enjoy seeing the Tesla robot charge arm and hear Elon's warning to avoid injury.

The interview is about 7 minutes in length.

The short clip that appears on the CBS video page on 9/10 is only 3 minutes with one commercial.

Last edited:
I think you're wrong about that. They are very much intrigued by a billionaire who is building super cool electric cars, spaceships, hyperloops, and sustainable energy (not to mention the ecommerce in his past).

I think you overestimate the American population, probably at least half of whom think space is an incredible waste of money, think that electric cars are the "gubmint" trying to force people out of their beloved trucks, and that Tesla subsists solely on government subsidies.

I did enjoy the interview though, but I thought Colbert interviewed him a lot better on the Report.

I love Stephen on the Colbert report but I watched the first two episodes and it is horrible it's not funny it's not entertaining it's not informative and his interviews provide no information

if the show continues like this the ratings will plummet. when he interviewed Elon on his other show it was far better even his interview with Scarlet was awful. there was absolutely nothing about the Tesla X or pretty much anything else except the space x rocket that exploded. if I was Elon I would not be happy Again I'm a fan and it was absolutely boring and it's like he is on happy pills but with no substance