Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X versus S Supercharging...who gets the juice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in Bristol yesterday and needed a charge to get home. Both bays at Cribbs Causeway, apparently spare.

However, on arrival, 5 mins later, a Model X was charging.

I started to charge my 2016 S in the remaining bay.

15kw charge out of 130kw!

I thought it might recalibrate but it did not. I even stopped and restarted the charging, but to no avail.

That seems totally unbalanced and pointless for the 2nd vehicle.

2/3 to 1/3 I could understand but 90% to 10% seems faulty and the word supercharger registered invalid!

This is pretty well-known: First car in paired stalls gets 100% of their charge rate & 2nd car gets whatever is left of combined total.

Lesson: select your charge bay based on not being paired with an occupied stall if charge rate is important.

I was in Bristol yesterday and needed a charge to get home. Both bays at Cribbs Causeway, apparently spare.

However, on arrival, 5 mins later, a Model X was charging.

I started to charge my 2016 S in the remaining bay.

15kw charge out of 130kw!

I thought it might recalibrate but it did not. I even stopped and restarted the charging, but to no avail.

That seems totally unbalanced and pointless for the 2nd vehicle.

2/3 to 1/3 I could understand but 90% to 10% seems faulty and the word supercharger registered invalid!
Assuming your battery was low enough that the car was capable of accepting a faster charge, then the hardware wasn't fully working properly. The second car to plug in should be getting up to ~30 to 36 kW if the first car is charging with a low battery. Once the first car's rate tapers to below 72 kW, the second car's rate will increase.

Reactions: IanMcL and Big Earl