Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow border on screen... again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X is just 3 months old (end of June delivery).
A few days ago I noticed the yellow border on top of the screen. It's only visible when it shows a map (with a map view, not satellite) which gives you a white background. Otherwise it's almost not visible on the black background.
I think I'll wait till they come up with a proper fix for this issue or till the problem will start appearing on other parts of the screen as well...

My X is just 3 months old (end of June delivery).
A few days ago I noticed the yellow border on top of the screen. It's only visible when it shows a map (with a map view, not satellite) which gives you a white background. Otherwise it's almost not visible on the black background.
I think I'll wait till they come up with a proper fix for this issue or till the problem will start appearing on other parts of the screen as well...

Yeah, me too. It just showed up on Saturday after we returned from a week on vacation. Like you, I'm going to wait and mention it at my next service visit unless it gets worse.

Had mine replaced a couple of weeks ago in my May 2018 build MX. They gave me a new MS loaner (3000ish miles on it) and it was showing a yellow border. They don’t seem to have this fixed. I assume my new screen is likely to have the problem again.

I sure hope they figure this one out soon.

My Feb 18 MX has the yellow stipe visible at the top against the light V9 background, but it's quite subtle. As the yellow stripe lines up perfectly with the header icons it actually looks like a deliberate graphic (I know it isn't!). I can't be bothered to get the screen replaced for that, but if it gets worse and starts showing up down the sides I might complain. Probably a to-do-list item for next year's service.

Tesla seems to be having problems with the touch screen adhesive.

The early Model S vehicles would show bubbles under the touchscreen, requiring a replacement.

For the later vehicles, it's the yellow band around the outside of the touchscreen. It's most noticeable when there's a white background going to the edge of the display - and not as noticeable when displaying the map on the entire display or when there are black backgrounds along the edges.

Neither of these problems affect the operation of the vehicle - only the appearance of the display.

It could be the large size of the touchscreen (compared to displays in other vehicles) may be posing a challenge to find an adhesive that works with that large of display and also survive the temperature extremes when the vehicles are parked.

I have had two Model S (14 and 16), A 2016 Model X and now two Model 3s (VINS 74xxx). It is interesting that I had this issue on all my portrait oriented screened Teslas. Even after having the screen replaced, I had the same issue begin cropping up with the replacement. I was told it was less a functional screen issue and more of a delimitation of adhesive which affected it more around the edges by service if that is true. The interesting thing is that (so far - fingers crossed) I see no hint of it on either Model 3 screen. I wonder if they changed something with the screen because of the issue.

I've parked my 2013 S/40 uncovered in Southern California inland sun for 5 years. Screen is still perfect (knock on linoleum). I wonder if they started using less tolerant displays on later builds?

Different adhesive, presumably. This one breaks down chemically in the presence of UV. And for whatever reason, they elected to use adhesive only around the edges. If they had used it across the entire display, it would still yellow, but it wouldn't be nearly as objectionable. (Also, they need to use a less UV-sensitive adhesive, but that goes without saying.)

My car has the issue as well (Sept 2017). I was waiting on a new screen but just received a call from Tesla HQ in Amsterdam that they've stopped replacing the screens. They expect a new solution for the issue in H1 2019. Until that time, they won't do anything.

Just brought my late '17 X to a service center to have the screen replaced because of the yellow stripe and to take care of a few other issues with the car. They pushed back pretty hard on replacing the screen saying that an MCU screen without this issue should be available summer 2019. I assume that is Tesla/Elon time, though, so I pushed back and they eventually agreed to just replace it.

Just took my MX 100D in for annual service today here in the UK, and as part of that wanted to have my MCU replaced -- it has the dreaded yellow band. They keep replacing them with new versions and the issue comes back, as some others have reported here..... They told me they've now determined that it is a software problem and they are not doing any more replacements. They hope a software fix is on its way. They also told me that if you load the drawing app, and leave it running for 48 hrs, the yellow banding goes away.

Anyone else get the same story?

Just took my MX 100D in for annual service today here in the UK, and as part of that wanted to have my MCU replaced -- it has the dreaded yellow band. They keep replacing them with new versions and the issue comes back, as some others have reported here..... They told me they've now determined that it is a software problem and they are not doing any more replacements. They hope a software fix is on its way. They also told me that if you load the drawing app, and leave it running for 48 hrs, the yellow banding goes away.

Anyone else get the same story?
LOL. Such BS. If they told me a replacement screen without the issue would be available next year, I'd wait. If they gave me that line, I'd tell them to keep the car and give it back to me after they successfully performed that "fix."

It seems highly unlikely this is a software problem. It's probably a problem with the adhesive. We're on our second replacement display for our 2017 S 100D. Our 2012 S P85 had a different adhesive problem with bubbles that started forming under the touchscreen membrane, requiring a replacement after 50K miles.

The yellow banding is visible when displaying a light/white background near the edge of the display.

With the V9 software, maps are always display from side edge-to-side edge. Other windows (settings, charging, media player, browser, …) are displayed floating on top of the maps - with a gap between the side edges and the edge of the displays (showing a small amount of map to either side of those windows).

If Tesla assumes that drivers always display satellite maps during the day and the black background "night mode" maps during the night, those map displays will hide the bands, since the maps aren't using a white background.

If that's the case, then Tesla has provided a software fix that essentially hides the banding.

However... If you turn off the satellite images for the "day mode" map display, you'll get a map with a white background going from edge-to-edge - which will show the banding.

NOTE that the neither the yellow banding or bubble adhesive issues affect the operation of the vehicle. The impact is only visual - it doesn't prevent the display from being used or the touch screen from working.

I just checked our 2017 S 100D by putting the map into day mode and turning off the satellite maps - and with the white background map, didn't see any banding. So I'm hoping the manufacturer finally fixed the adhesive problem with our replacement.

Update: service *said* they would replace the screen when I took it in. When I went to pick it up, they informed me that they did not replace the screen. Apparently Tesla Engineering will not authorize screen replacements.

Now that they forced my car to upgrade to V9, the yellow band is extremely obvious with the full screen day time maps.

well i just got a replacement screen in September for the yellow border. this morning i got the "black screen of death". tried hard reboot many many times and nothing.

seems like these screen replacements with remanufactured screens is a real problem for them. the 2nd one seemed fine (for a whole 3 months), but now just won't light up. worst part of it was i was touching the screen in various areas and it was still controlling the car, and i must have hit the seat heater and then it was on high and i couldn't get it to shut off again.

so it appears the MCU is fine, but the screen is busted. going into service monday. i wish they'd just do things right the first time around -- stop using remanufactured parts that are just going to go bad or get the yellow border once again.