Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow border on screen... again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pinged Tesla about this today. They said the redesigned part is being tested. ETA late spring/early summer. No waitlist.

I wonder if that’s real or just said to make you temporarily go away. I’ve been through 2 MCUs both of which yellowed and was just told all MCU replacements are being put on hold until engineering can determine a solution. No ETA or knowledge of a solution right now though..

I went through 2 replacements on mine as well. My work buddy had a brand new 100D as a loaner for couple of days (about 3k miles on it) and it already had the discoloration around the screen. I would actually say that it was worse (more prominent) than on any of my two instances. So, it looks like the permanent fix is due. They can't just keep replacing these screens forever.

I went through 2 replacements on mine as well. My work buddy had a brand new 100D as a loaner for couple of days (about 3k miles on it) and it already had the discoloration around the screen. I would actually say that it was worse (more prominent) than on any of my two instances. So, it looks like the permanent fix is due. They can't just keep replacing these screens forever.

Well they’ve stopped so that’s certainly true. Although if the fix is like the axle shudder then the fix is going to be: We acknowledge the issue and would urge you to turn off your display when the vehicle is in use. Use voice commands instead.

I’m getting really tired of Tesla service...

My experience has been always rather positive. The screen discoloration is not something we can blame on Tesla though - unless they start manufacturing their own LCDs.

When I first owned mine the service was phenomenal. It’s steadily declining, perhaps each SC is managed differently but there aren’t a whole lot to choose from. I’m also taking my frustration out on this specific issue right now, but it isn’t only this.

When you own multiples of them, it also becomes increasingly frustrating, because I now know what the problem is but yet I still have to show up and argue. Plus when an appointment is made and they stress timeliness but take 3+ hours out of my day before they even process the car...that’s not good service. They’re overwhelmed. Back when I first got the car, your time was respected. You were in and out within minutes as they didn’t want to disrupt your day. I miss that service.

When you own multiples of them, it also becomes increasingly frustrating, because I now know what the problem is but yet I still have to show up and argue. Plus when an appointment is made and they stress timeliness but take 3+ hours out of my day before they even process the car...that’s not good service. They’re overwhelmed. Back when I first got the car, your time was respected. You were in and out within minutes as they didn’t want to disrupt your day. I miss that service.
I hear ya, it really looks like they are stretched thin in many of the service centers. I do hope that it will improve moving forward. They added a lot of cars in 2018 alone, so the service centers have to be staffed to accommodate the growth too.

I wonder if that’s real or just said to make you temporarily go away. I’ve been through 2 MCUs both of which yellowed and was just told all MCU replacements are being put on hold until engineering can determine a solution. No ETA or knowledge of a solution right now though..

LOL. The solution is simple. Hire a touchscreen manufacturer that actually knows how to build touchscreen digitizers. Or talk to Apple and see what they did about it. They had that same problem on the iPhone 5 and 5s, IIRC.

My Dec ‘17 S75D has started showing the yellow boarder too. It’s pretty faint. I will mention it when I go in for 25k mile service in a few weeks.

Additionally, a tech savvy buddy told me to run the screen in Night Mode for a few weeks. He said it helped his 2015 Model S screen yellow edges.

It is interesting both my Model Ses had this problem repeatedly, and even the replacement screen eventually got it. Once it started showing up it only seemed to darken over time. I now have two Model 3s and knock on wood neither has any issues with the screen.

Best of luck with the night mode. I would be interested to know if that worked. I never tried that. From my understanding from what I was told by service is that it is caused by delamination of adhesive which for some reason occurs at the margins. I don't know if that is actually true or not, just what they told me.

...Model 3...

Model 3 has a different supplier which is LG.

S and X is from another supplier and they have glue problems.

When they were young in 2012, the glue leaks out and create bubbles.

In modern days, they have fixed the bubbles but the air still gets in the between layers and interacts with the glue which gives you a beautiful yellow ring for no extra charge.

Don't think anyone knows for sure since some folks have had screens only replaced, and some have had MCU+screen replaced.

I do find that night mode with satellite maps on hides the yellow best, but it stinks how dim the screen is on start-up.

Reactions: Hilbe
About time this got some priority to be fixed.....enough of the fart games and other useless toys, I'd just like a center screen without orange lines (the yellowing gets worse over time) please! [/rant]

Seriously though, it's 6 months (out of 9 months ownership) since I was told to wait for a fix as "current replacements will have the same issue".

Mine is really bad and deep yellow and I waited too long to bring it in and when I did they said they are no longer replacing them until they have a different replacement. Hopefully its available soon because it looks really awful.