TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Yellow border on screen... again...

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Krazaak, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

There's a thread in the S forum about screen yellowing, supposedly affecting a range of order S VINs and some Xs. My screen was replaced last September, but now less than 11 months later it has a yellow border again.

ASY,MCU SUB-ASSY SHP OGS DISP AND PKG (1087293-00-A)

Anyone had their yellow ring return? My X is garaged, has cabin overheat protection enabled and is usually in covered parking when I'm out. It seems unlikely that it's heat related damage, so perhaps I just got a replacement screen from the same bad batch?

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

I just had the screen on my Model S (Dec 2016 P100D) replaced for the second time in three months. Just assuming bad luck.

3. Tjhappel

Tjhappel Member

I had my screen on dec 2016 x replaced 2 months ago, Yesterday yellow line returned and luckily for me it’s out of warranty now!! Crossed over 50k mark a month ago, hopefully they goodwill this issue since the part is so new.

• Funny x 2
  4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I just posted this over in the Software Update 2018.28.5 thread because my yellow ring showed up immediately after I updated the car's firmware.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. Raechris

Raechris Member

Most states have a separate warranty on work performed, so I would first assume they will stand by the recent work despite crossing the generic new car warranty timeframe. I am sure tesla will do the right thing.

6. wamochi

wamochi Member

our X is in now to replace the screen for yellow border. do you know if they replaced yours with new or refurb?

7. Raechris

Raechris Member

I wonder if these cars with recurrent yellowing is not the LCD rather a failing video rendering chip that powers the screen. Knowing enough about these cars to know nothing, maybe someone knows if the video processing chips are contained in the screen unit or whether that chip is on a different board somewhere in the car?

8. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

It's not the chip (part of Tegra SoC), it's the screen.

Also my car has got it too last week or so (and here, I thought it was a long solved issue).

9. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

I wonder if it has anything to do with the switch to the darker interior trim. The silver metal trim holds a ton of heat and is extremely hot to the touch when the car's been sitting for a while. Of course, I'm making two assumptions... that the new darker trim is not metal and that it's heat damaging the 17" display.

In either case, I'm getting a new screen today, although it sounds like the firmware isn't taking.

I asked if it was possible to just pay the difference for an MCU 2 swap, but was told they weren't available.

10. BlueRocket

BlueRocket S90D HW2 MCU1 42.3

My Dec2016MS screen was replaced in the Fall for the first time with a yellow border. The car is garage kept and rarely in the sun without AC running. The SC replaced it with a refurbished screen which you can tell from the work order. Am waiting to see if it yellows again.

11. wamochi

wamochi Member

that is a bummer. maybe they will goodwill an MCU2 if it happens again in the future

we have a mid year 2016 Model S with a perfect screen.
    the mid year 2017 Model X is the one with the yellow border.

12. Terthen

Terthen Member

#12 Terthen, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    I had mine replaced last month for yellow border. The service technician told me it was the new mcu and it does feel faster than the old one... the part number i got for model X was 1098010-88-d. I couldn’t find any other posts with that part number so not sure if it is mcu2.

Edit: ignore my post. this is the old mcu

13. wamochi

wamochi Member

you can type in teslamcu.xyz on the web browser in the car and it'll tell you!

• Informative x 1
  14. wamochi

wamochi Member

crossing my fingers you got the new one ;)

• Like x 1
  15. Terthen

Terthen Member

No luck. It said Linux armv71. Guess I’ll be seeing this yellow border again sometime in the next year. Placebo effect is strong on me.

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

FYI, my yellow border problem is on a new MCU2 Model X.

• Informative x 1
  17. Matutino

Matutino Member

2 screen on my MS and 1 screen on my MX

18. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Member

My original screen had the yellow border and was replaced by the SC. Now, six months later, the yellow border is once again visible on the replacement screen.

• Informative x 1
  19. lt1buick

lt1buick New Member

Mine came back as well after a replacing it once. December 2016 build car. Replaced in Feb. 2018 and now it back and worse than it was before

20. aaron0k

aaron0k Member

I've parked my 2013 S/40 uncovered in Southern California inland sun for 5 years. Screen is still perfect (knock on linoleum). I wonder if they started using less tolerant displays on later builds?