Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how accurate the article is. But one thing is for certain. The author of this article has....shall we say....”a history”.

“Finally, it is worth noting that the blogger who fabricated this issue, which then caused negative and incorrect news to be written about Tesla by reputable institutions, is Edward Niedermeyer. This is the same gentle soul who previously wrote a blog titled “Tesla Death Watch,” which starting on May 19, 2008 was counting the days until Tesla’s death. It has now been 2,944 days. We just checked our pulse and, much to his chagrin, appear to be alive. It is probably wise to take Mr. Niedermeyer’s words with at least a small grain of salt.”

A Grain of Salt
Ok. As I said, I don’t know anything about this subject, but at least the source for Tesla’s screen seems to be accurate.

Reactions: GreenT
The yellow bands of death are so bad on my 11/2017 build MS 100D that under some conditions I cannot see some of the touchscreen controls, and therefore cannot operate aspects of the car such as the heater controls at the bottom the screen, map settings on the right side, and more. This makes this band issue far more than cosmetic (not that cosmetic repairs caused by substandard materials or workmanship do not have to be fixed under warrantee).

The yellow bands are partially reflective. This makes any alleged software fix impossible. I find it hard to believe that Tesla is even working on something so kooky like this when it cannot possibly work. So I suspect the software fix is nothing but a rumor.

Exposing the panel to more heat and damaging radiation via a UV lamp also sounds like an unlikely fix. The screen is exposed to UV from the sun all day when parked outside.

I have lived with this problem for six months, and like many others, I am growing tired of waiting. This is a real warrantee problem and it is difficult to imagine Tesla not rectifying it.

I have had nothing but fantastic customer service from Tesla.
The last I heard for my SC was that fixed replacement panels are expected sometime soon (no actual date). I hope this is still Tesla's plan. I’d hate to think of the devastating problems Tesla would have with its customers otherwise. I am planning on buying a Model 3 for my wife in a few months when the lease for her car is up. Those plans of mine would likely change if this issue is not resolved by then.

(This image does not show the bands at their worst. Under some conditions the controls are completely obscured)

IMG_0430.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and croman
I might be wrong, but I think the 2015 and older cars don’t have this? Was it so, that first cars had bubbles appearing in screen, the revision to fix bubbles has this yellow borders flaw?

Yup... lol.. ridiculous isn't it?
They shifted the problem and not fixed it, and now it seems a bunch of monkeys are in charge of the company thinking they can either postpone this issue for as long as possible, or siderail it long enough for people to just give up and pay for the fix with no out of pocket on them.

Hence why i dont think they realize its more expensive to handle a law suit which will obvious end in them requiring to fix the problem and additionally pay out everyone who has had grief with the screens, as well as pay millions on lawyer fee's.

Average payout to a class action lawyer to a large corp is roughly anywhere between 10-25 million.
Thats a lot of screens they could of just replaced @ there cost just recouping the lawyer fee's which they can easily avoid, and they will lose because Ford Lost, and im very sure Ford has more powerful lawyers then Tesla has since Tesla has been flipping law firms left and right.

Tesla goes through another exec: Top lawyer leaves two months into the job

If you are right and the latest cars are not susceptible to this, that means Tesla has a good parts to make new cars with, which means they should be swapping screens with new, non-defective parts, right?

Well according to more threads ive read here and also on Tesla.com, it says the new screens have been addressed and fixed.
They stopped replacing them, because all of a sudden massive amounts of people started filing claims and i think they could not handle the back end.

Who knows it maybe temporary, so they can spread the supply out.
But i can tell you one thing.. you do not piss off your customers who can afford cars with price tags like these.
These people usually got where they are because they are frugal with money, and know when not to
"pick up that bar of soap when it hits the floor so to speak".

So yea, definitely they will piss off someone here who is a class action lawyer, and most likely end up losing this if this UV fix does not work, on top end up paying settlement for all the grief it has caused people.

Sigh Tesla...

Yup... lol.. ridiculous isn't it?
They shifted the problem and not fixed it, and now it seems a bunch of monkeys are in charge of the company thinking they can either postpone this issue for as long as possible, or siderail it long enough for people to just give up and pay for the fix with no out of pocket on them.

Hence why i dont think they realize its more expensive to handle a law suit which will obvious end in them requiring to fix the problem and additionally pay out everyone who has had grief with the screens, as well as pay millions on lawyer fee's.

Average payout to a class action lawyer to a large corp is roughly anywhere between 10-25 million.
Thats a lot of screens they could of just replaced @ there cost just recouping the lawyer fee's which they can easily avoid, and they will lose because Ford Lost, and im very sure Ford has more powerful lawyers then Tesla has since Tesla has been flipping law firms left and right.

Tesla goes through another exec: Top lawyer leaves two months into the job

Well according to more threads ive read here and also on Tesla.com, it says the new screens have been addressed and fixed.
They stopped replacing them, because all of a sudden massive amounts of people started filing claims and i think they could not handle the back end.

Who knows it maybe temporary, so they can spread the supply out.
But i can tell you one thing.. you do not piss off your customers who can afford cars with price tags like these.
These people usually got where they are because they are frugal with money, and know when not to
"pick up that bar of soap when it hits the floor so to speak".

So yea, definitely they will piss off someone here who is a class action lawyer, and most likely end up losing this if this UV fix does not work, on top end up paying settlement for all the grief it has caused people.

Sigh Tesla...

I feel court action should be an absolute last resort but it seems if you pay to have this obvious materials/workmanship issue fixed, recovering that fee should be quite straightforward.

We all know Tesla is under a financial crunch but they need to do the right thing here and fix the defective screens. No one who paid more for a Model S bought one so they can drive a car with an ugly permanent yellow border around the LCD display.

I am sure just about all of us are okay with waiting a quarter or two for a permanent hardware fix, and I wish they would communicate to customers that the defective screens will be fixed/replaced so there is no longer a physical yellow border embedded in the display by a certain date.

This current policy of expecting customers to pay for a warranty repair could cause major problems as I don't see any way they can in good faith defend this policy.

We know that it isn't the automotive use that caused the problem because new ones out of the box have had yellow borders.
That would mean that it's the screen manufacturer who's on the hook to pay for all the replacement, which makes it all the more confusing why Tesla is not replacing them. Or are the screens yet another thing Elon re-invented, so now Tesla is a screen manufacturer too?

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias
I've set my screen to night mode, I'm living with it until a solid decision has been made by Tesla on who wears the cost while the car is still in warranty, the way they work it could all change next month again.

I'm confused. What's causing the yellowing? Light or heat? Putting it into night mode will run the screen warmer as the opaqueness of the LCD will block more of the light and run the LCD panel hotter.

I'm confused. What's causing the yellowing? Light or heat? Putting it into night mode will run the screen warmer as the opaqueness of the LCD will block more of the light and run the LCD panel hotter.

What’s odd is that last fall, I didn’t notice the border. My car sat for 5 months (during winter in the garage). I go to use it this spring and I notice the border. So I don’t know what causes it.

If you read enough examples on this issue it isn't heat, UV exposure, cold, altitude, age or any other scenario that causes it, it just happens and usually just overnight with no warning (like mine did, one day it wasn't there, the next it was). Some cars even have it brand new or replacement screens have it out of the box.
At this stage my screen is yellowed so I don't care what mode I have it set to, it's already broken as far as I am concerned, night mode just allows me to deal with it day to day. For what it is worth I never had night mode manually set until the screen went yellow.

If you read enough examples on this issue it isn't heat, UV exposure, cold, altitude, age or any other scenario that causes it, it just happens and usually just overnight with no warning (like mine did, one day it wasn't there, the next it was). Some cars even have it brand new or replacement screens have it out of the box.
At this stage my screen is yellowed so I don't care what mode I have it set to, it's already broken as far as I am concerned, night mode just allows me to deal with it day to day. For what it is worth I never had night mode manually set until the screen went yellow.

The yellow bar is visible in night mode and you can even see the yellow haze even when you put the display on screen clean mode.

They really need to come up with a permanent hardware fix for this issue.

If that logic is valid then the greatest damage would occur when the car is off and just sitting outside.

I was away for a week and my car was in the driveway; in that time the yellowing got a lot worse, but also just time seems to do it. Much of my yellowing occurred in the cold Colorado winter where the car never really got warm. Other people have said they've had them yellow while garaged for several months.

There's really no pattern to it, it seems. But just as a safety measure, since it seems that Tesla will never actually address this, (I may pay to have the screen replaced tomorrow when mobile service arrives to repair the MCU bezel they damaged at the last service) - I've been putting a towel over my screen when it's in the driveway.

You know, a reasonable thing that car owners should have to do.

The car's pretty new and I should be getting tint soon, but I'm between choosing this month getting tint and paying out of pocket for the new screen.

(Every reasonable Tesla owner knows that getting tint should be required to protect the LCD screen. This is obvious, and if you choose to not tint then any damage to the screen is your responsibility.) (The preceeding was sarcasm.)

Last edited:
They really need to come up with a permanent hardware fix for this issue.

Do they? "lol, no, sucks to be you" seems to be a satisfactory response so far; they do claim that the new screens don't yellow, but you have to pay for them.

So, there is a fix, it's just expensive.

I had no idea that Tesla could just selectively and dynamically decide what's in warranty and what isn't, but I guess they can! I've even read over the warranty repeatedly which sure seems to make me think that a screen with defective workmanship or materials would be covered, but I guess each one of those words could be debated.

If I do decide to pay to get my screen replaced tomorrow, I fully expect the fanboys in this forum to thank me greatly for donating to The Cause, since I'm paying Tesla a profit for maintaining status-quo through no fault of my own on a <6 mo old vehicle.

But they probably won't, because I won't post a pic of me happily signing the check for the new screen and saying "Thanks, Elon!"

Reactions: Dragetreneren
Do they? "lol, no, sucks to be you" seems to be a satisfactory response so far; they do claim that the new screens don't yellow, but you have to pay for them.

So, there is a fix, it's just expensive.

I had no idea that Tesla could just selectively and dynamically decide what's in warranty and what isn't, but I guess they can! I've even read over the warranty repeatedly which sure seems to make me think that a screen with defective workmanship or materials would be covered, but I guess each one of those words could be debated.

If I do decide to pay to get my screen replaced tomorrow, I fully expect the fanboys in this forum to thank me greatly for donating to The Cause, since I'm paying Tesla a profit for maintaining status-quo through no fault of my own on a <6 mo old vehicle.

But they probably won't, because I won't post a pic of me happily signing the check for the new screen and saying "Thanks, Elon!"

If anyone ends up having to pay to get the defective display fixed, which should be fixed under warranty to match a non-defective display that is shipped currently in cars, it should be very easy to get those funds back in small claims court.

Getting customers to pay for what is most obviously a warranty repair is an indefensible position.