Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s be fair: from what I’ve seen, exactly 2 bumpers fell off in heavy rain. I would hope you don’t think that other manufacturers have lines of cars where exactly 0 have any manufacturing defects of any kind.
It was more than 2 (I remember seeing more than 2 different Model 3 pictures without bumpers online), but again, you are focusing on one small part, this was just one example that I gave. Want more examples, read the rest of that sentence. It makes no sense to list every single problem Tesla had because of lack of thorough testing - that would be a TLDR post. Elon gave an interview a while back, how he's proud of the agile methodology he implemented for cars. So this is totally a planned and intended effect. The new Elon innovation here seems to be to pass then cost of hardware failure which cannot be fixed by software onto the customer, maybe because it got too expensive?

Last edited:
Sigh... i started noticing my side bands are turning yellow, and i am real disappointed at this.

They honestly cant do this and its in lines of getting class action law suited.
Looking back at my warrenty it states this:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf
Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.

Under exclusions it has nothing listed in MCU yellow banding, unless you physically damaged yours with a yellow Sharpie.

That screen is a Defect.
They cant tell you they wont fix it unless you pay, when the contract you and tesla signed when purchasing the car states they will.

That in any law of form is a breach of contract, and well, i expect a class action lawsuit coming really fast when more yellow bandings happen and they wont replace it.

You'd think the exec's at tesla would read the news and realize how Ford got handed in a simular situation.

If the UV fix works, then im down for that as well, however i bet you it probably wont fix most of the issues.

I guess i will wait and see how this plays out for a couple of months.
My banding isnt that bad yet, but when it does get worse, i will probably end up going with whatever solution is available at that time.

Oh reading the Warrenty papers more, there is a non Tesla Route.

Dispute Resolution Through the National Center for Dispute Settlement (NCDS) In the event that an amicable settlement is not reached, Tesla ofers an optional dispute settlement program through:
NATIONAL CENTER FOR DISPUTE SETTLEMENT (“NCDS”)
P.O. Box 526 Mt. Clemens, MI 48046
1-866-629-3204

They will probably rip tesla a new one if you guys can provide them with all the emails from tech saying you had to pay to get a defect replaced under warrenty, as that is definitely not a amicable settlement.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman and whitex
I wonder if this is one of the "cost cutting" elements elon wrote to all Tesla staff? He said all departments have a couple weeks to account for every $ spent. Maybe the president of service decided he could save a sh*tpile of money by not replacing the screens for people.
Lucky for me my 2 AP1 cars are unaffected. I would be livid if I was. I'm really anal about stuff not being right on my cars though.
Which cars are affected by this?

Very conservatively, $500 a pop parts and labor times 100,000 cars is $50 million bucks. To fix a minor cosmetic issue.

Like it or not, that’s a terrible decision for a company teetering on the edge.
I'd be very surprised if the screen manufacturer isn't covering some or all of the cost of the hardware aspect as it's their issue, not Tesla's?

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: GreenT and Saxgod
I'd be very surprised if the screen manufacturer isn't covering some or all of the cost of the hardware aspect as it's their issue, not Tesla's?

No Tesla bought non automotive grade parts and supplier said you are not going to get warranty because they sell automotive grade but it was way more expensive. Elon decided to cheap out and we live with his mistake. Supplier isn't paying so Tesla isn't replacing.

My new replacement screen that was the “fixed” screen had a ‘d’ designator at the end.

I had mine replaced under warranty 1-9-19 and it was a -D. If that’s the latest it’s been around for at least 5+ months

D2D41E01-C90C-4C4C-84F6-481AC2A74C35.png

I don’t know anything about this. Which part is garbage?

Not sure how accurate the article is. But one thing is for certain. The author of this article has....shall we say....”a history”.

“Finally, it is worth noting that the blogger who fabricated this issue, which then caused negative and incorrect news to be written about Tesla by reputable institutions, is Edward Niedermeyer. This is the same gentle soul who previously wrote a blog titled “Tesla Death Watch,” which starting on May 19, 2008 was counting the days until Tesla’s death. It has now been 2,944 days. We just checked our pulse and, much to his chagrin, appear to be alive. It is probably wise to take Mr. Niedermeyer’s words with at least a small grain of salt.”

A Grain of Salt