Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just informed by a Tesla tech that they will not be replacing "yellow border" screens. Instead, they'll offer a "UV light healing" option - where they use a large UV light emitter over the screen to invoke a chemical reaction that temporarily reduces the yellow shade in the screen glue. He said customers will have the option to pay to replace their screens with a newer part number - but that Tesla will not foot the bill. The tech claimed that the details of this procedure and the "customer pay to replace" option are now listed in their internal wiki. He said they're a few months out from starting the UV procedures.

The tech said that internally people are posting all kind of nasty responses to this.

I'm sure this will go over well.

As long as they REMOVE the yellow border I am all for this UV fix.

If the yellow border is still there, it has to be fixed or the screen replaced under warranty as it is an obvious defect. If the car's paint starts yellowing a few months because there was a paint defect, would they not fix that? Of course they would. If they used a defective glue and the windshield laminate starts developing a yellow border would they not fix that? Of course they would. If the black seats start turning white due to an issue with the seat dye, would they not fix that? This is no different.

If a customer is not satisfied with the UV fix, and the yellow border is there, they should fix it.

Last edited:
I just had my screen replaced yesterday. I had a pretty interesting discussion with the SC regarding the major issue this is becoming. They are painfully aware of how customers feel being on the front line and can only do what Tesla wants them to do to fix the problem. Apparently, at least as of yesterday, they are doing a replacement.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2012MS85
So they told me they would for months. Then told me they wouldn't, then the SC told me "we got one of the new screens for you" - then today, minutes ago, they called me back and said nope, it'll just be a "software fix". Which is a lie.

So as of today, they aren't doing replacement, at least for me, after going back and forth on it several times.

Other people saying UV: that's "temporary". What, a week? Hell, I think UV is *causing it*.

I'm about to get profane here so I'll just step away and let the fanboys believe that a "software fix" will be able to fix physical defects in adhesive.

• Informative
Reactions: GreenT and 2012MS85
I'm about to get profane here so I'll just step away and let the fanboys believe that a "software fix" will be able to fix physical defects in adhesive.

It would be funny (in a sad way) if the "software" fix was to add a blue border to the screen cancelling out the yellow color. Then people without the yellow border start complaining about a blue one.

It would be funny (in a sad way) if the "software" fix was to add a blue border to the screen cancelling out the yellow color. Then people without the yellow border start complaining about a blue one.

From what I understand and have been told, the 'software fix' would be adjusted and turned on by a service center or tech. So likely they would go into some sort of service mode and 'paint' the blue border in software.

Of course this will cause dimming/fading towards the edges instead, since with LCDs, any color filter pixels that are blocked (R/G in this case) means less light transmissivity; and the yellow coloration is already filtering out blue light. So the result would be dim borders, instead of yellow ones -- This could possibly be compensated by for dimming the entire screen in software, with a gray cast where the blue cast ends, but this would reduce the overall dynamic range of the display.

So it's lose/lose/lose.

But the other problem is that this yellowing issue is highly reflective and shows up even in moderate sunlight. In the daytime the issue is the adhesive *reflecting* yellow, and it's not an issue of transmissivity (as it is at night) , and there is NOTHING software will do in regards to this.

What I don't understand is:

1) Why this is OK, when yes if the paint started changing color or the interior/seats started shifting color, those would also be 'cosmetic' but certainly wouldn't be a "customer pay" situation and,

2) why so many people are buying the 'firmware magic' line on this. If Tesla said that a crack in your windshield was going to be fixed in firmware later, would you buy that, too?

I get it. Their stock price is low. But the way Telsa is treating customers here is obscene. If this was Model 3, do you think they would get away with it? No, there'd be an incessant uproar. Instead, it's a subsection of (post-2016) S/X owners so its easy to ignore.

From what I understand and have been told, the 'software fix' would be adjusted and turned on by a service center or tech. So likely they would go into some sort of service mode and 'paint' the blue border in software.

Of course this will cause dimming/fading towards the edges instead, since with LCDs, any color filter pixels that are blocked (R/G in this case) means less light transmissivity; and the yellow coloration is already filtering out blue light. So the result would be dim borders, instead of yellow ones -- This could possibly be compensated by for dimming the entire screen in software, with a gray cast where the blue cast ends, but this would reduce the overall dynamic range of the display.

So it's lose/lose/lose.

But the other problem is that this yellowing issue is highly reflective and shows up even in moderate sunlight. In the daytime the issue is the adhesive *reflecting* yellow, and it's not an issue of transmissivity (as it is at night) , and there is NOTHING software will do in regards to this.

What I don't understand is:

1) Why this is OK, when yes if the paint started changing color or the interior/seats started shifting color, those would also be 'cosmetic' but certainly wouldn't be a "customer pay" situation and,

2) why so many people are buying the 'firmware magic' line on this. If Tesla said that a crack in your windshield was going to be fixed in firmware later, would you buy that, too?

I get it. Their stock price is low. But the way Telsa is treating customers here is obscene. If this was Model 3, do you think they would get away with it? No, there'd be an incessant uproar. Instead, it's a subsection of (post-2016) S/X owners so its easy to ignore.

Yeah and schedule another service appointment when the yellow hue changes and is bigger?

A software fix is BS.

Another talk with the SC:

"So, a new model S/X display won't yellow, correct?"

Answer: "Correct, they won't."

"So you do have a replacement screen?"

Answer: "Yes, we do."

"But you won't replace them, even for a car < 6 months old."

Answer: "We would have to charge you for that."

"And the solution, you don't know when or what that will be?"

Answer: "Not at this time. We've heard it could be software or a UV treatment, which would be temporary in nature."

"So it won't ever be truly fixed, even though there is a fixed screen available?"

Answer: "That's correct... Unfortunately."

"How is this ok?"

Answer: "That's all the information we have right now."

Yeah and schedule another service appointment when the yellow hue changes and is bigger?

A software fix is BS.

Of course it is. I really don't understand how they can get away with this. So what with the UV option every 6 months we have to drop our car off for a day to have it unyellowed? My service center is an hour away. That's not OK either.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
The tech reported that the wiki said "customers will be free to return and have the UV treatment done as many times as they like under warranty - but that it is not a permanent fix".
So it is a temporary fix? Until they get the right part? Are new car screens still suffering from this? This seems like a lot of service visits for a bad part... When the car goes out of warranty - it stays yellow or pay to keep getting it UV treated? This is so confusing. It would be good for Tesla to officially address this issue.

So it is a temporary fix? Until they get the right part? Are new car screens still suffering from this? This seems like a lot of service visits for a bad part... When the car goes out of warranty - it stays yellow or pay to keep getting it UV treated? This is so confusing. It would be good for Tesla to officially address this issue.

From what they're saying right now, its a temporary fix, *period*. You will have to bring your car in to get it 'unyellowed' periodically. And a fixed screen is available.

This is obviously a cost saving measure, but I don't see how they get to pick and choose. If the entire screen changed to black and white, would that also just be a cosmetic issue? The service center scratched the bezel on my touchscreen during the last service, and they're replacing *that*, but that's also just a cosmetic issue (And something they caused.)

How is this any different?