Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow borders on main screen- A new fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today got a call for the yellow border on my screen that they will have a new thermo device that can fix the screen in place. It will be available soon (probably with Elon time soon, couple of months). They will do it with mobile service.

Cool! A new method to add to the pile! Now we have, as proposed by different service center techs :
  • Electrical (TESLA!) Tape around the border
  • UV blasting / UV lights with a lot of fans
  • Liquid that'll be rubbed onto the screen. (Elon's Display Lotion)
  • Firmware that causes a blue border (or causes MAGIC!)
  • And now, a hot plate.
Am I missing any "Coming Soon!" fix methods?

Today got a call for the yellow border on my screen that they will have a new thermo device that can fix the screen in place. It will be available soon (probably with Elon time soon, couple of months). They will do it with mobile service.
Yes, that's the Thermoplasticdiphramicpurifier. The unit is a joint development between NASA, SpaceX and the Comedy Channel. It will be available soon.

I hope the next proposed mobile service capable fix method somehow involves sonar or radar, since we've covered the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum from IR to UV. After they propose blasting the thing with a 4kW magnetron, perhaps they can try shutting all the doors and playing Neil Diamond's "Captain Sunshine" at 11 for eight hours to force the display to change its disposition.

I just got my screen replaced by mobile service. The part number is 1084333-00-C. No charge.

Just noticed that the new screen has a gap between it and the bezel. See attached. Don’t remember the old having such a gap. Is the new screen slightly thinner, do they do it on purpose to avoid the screen edges from heating up and yellowing or what is just misinstalled (though the tech was great and everything else is spotless even though he took apart and put back together almost the entire dash)? Reluctant to have it addressed as the swap created no rattle or anything... Sometimes leaving well enough alone is better... Anyone else got this with their new screen?

Attachments

• 5109688C-F538-49B8-91AE-436C033A1A37.jpeg
    5109688C-F538-49B8-91AE-436C033A1A37.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 8C1C1B30-7F1F-4CD9-B256-2D5A50837691.jpeg
    8C1C1B30-7F1F-4CD9-B256-2D5A50837691.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 7A323330-E384-4358-898C-C83C427532A0.jpeg
    7A323330-E384-4358-898C-C83C427532A0.jpeg
    430.9 KB · Views: 147
Just noticed that the new screen has a gap between it and the bezel. See attached. Don’t remember the old having such a gap. Is the new screen slightly thinner, do they do it on purpose to avoid the screen edges from heating up and yellowing or what is just misinstalled (though the tech was great and everything else is spotless even though he took apart and put back together almost the entire dash)? Reluctant to have it addressed as the swap created no rattle or anything... Sometimes leaving well enough alone is better... Anyone else got this with their new screen?
Looks like they didn’t line up the screen correctly. I had a screen replaced and it was a bit off and they fixed it.

Looks like they didn’t line up the screen correctly. I had a screen replaced and it was a bit off and they fixed it.

Actually, it is pretty much perfectly lined up. Doesn’t come out well in the photos. See this new one attached. Issue is more that the screen seems more recessed from the bezel. It’s not flush. Like there’s a gap between the bezel from a depth standpoint versus lateral, if that makes any sense.

I know I could get them to redo but it’s cosmetic and I worry about another dismantling of the dash and the collateral damage (rattles and all).

Attachments

• 21272F2B-D178-4251-9EAB-111563319B58.jpeg
    21272F2B-D178-4251-9EAB-111563319B58.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 137
Actually, it is pretty much perfectly lined up. Doesn’t come out well in the photos. See this new one attached. Issue is more that the screen seems more recessed from the bezel. It’s not flush. Like there’s a gap between the bezel from a depth standpoint versus lateral, if that makes any sense.

I know I could get them to redo but it’s cosmetic and I worry about another dismantling of the dash and the collateral damage (rattles and all).
Are new "fixed" screens thinner?

Have noticed the exact same thing @steilkurve did. The new 1084333-C display I had installed seems more recessed from the bezel. I actually have had the same thoguhts, "maybe they installed it off a little" - since they had to transfer the metal surrounds, a lot of screws that have to be just so... But maybe not, now. (I don't want my dash torn apart again either.) - But I've certainly noticed that this one seems recessed a bit more, more of a gap. Thought it was just my situation, but maybe not.

The other thing I noticed is that it appears to have a higher color gamut. The IC display has always seemed to have something approaching a 100% aRGB gamut (probably 97% or something) - mostly noticeable in the reds not being 'oranged out'. This is mostly noticeable in cover album art in media. Previously, with the old display, the difference was pretty striking; looking at the album art between the IC and the MCU display, the MCU always appeared very washed out (80% sRGB or something) - The new display isn't quite as good as the IC, but honestly it's hard to see a big difference. (Maybe 90% aRGB vs 80% sRGB.) - I know talking color gamut on a vehicle display is a bit nutty, but it's just something I've noticed post replacement.

I hope the next proposed mobile service capable fix method somehow involves sonar or radar, since we've covered the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum from IR to UV. After they propose blasting the thing with a 4kW magnetron, perhaps they can try shutting all the doors and playing Neil Diamond's "Captain Sunshine" at 11 for eight hours to force the display to change its disposition.

Microwaves is next.