Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow borders on main screen- A new fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
latest update on my yellow border on screen. After I made three SC appointments which were all canceled the day before my appointment because “Tesla is working on a fix in the near future”.....I finally was able to make a mobile service appointment. The guy came. Saw the yellow border and swapped the screen. No charge at all. And it’s perfect. He said it may come back in the future but at least for now my screen is perfectly fine. Hopefully by the time the yellow appears again, they will have a permanent fix. I don’t believe this is normal. I just got lucky.

latest update on my yellow border on screen. After I made three SC appointments which were all canceled the day before my appointment because “Tesla is working on a fix in the near future”.....I finally was able to make a mobile service appointment. The guy came. Saw the yellow border and swapped the screen. No charge at all. And it’s perfect. He said it may come back in the future but at least for now my screen is perfectly fine. Hopefully by the time the yellow appears again, they will have a permanent fix. I don’t believe this is normal. I just got lucky.

Huh. They just came out and replaced it? No fuss?

Say what?

I had the same experience through mobile service. I was told that the fix wasn’t ready yet. He replaced with new screen. Was told screen is a new version that should not yellow.

Huh. They just came out and replaced it? No fuss?
No fuss. So he came. Said that their is a fix. He also said it had nothing to do with the glue. It’s actually the pixels themselves. He said that Tesla isn’t swapping screens unless the owner wants to pay the $1k+ for it. I told him this is a warranty issue and I really want it replaced st no charge. He want to his truck came back and said “well the order says to replace it and there’s no cost on the order. So I’ll just replace it”. And he did.

Attachments

• 7DC66759-2816-45D3-BE42-D1161C49E5EE.jpeg
    7DC66759-2816-45D3-BE42-D1161C49E5EE.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 142
No fuss. So he came. Said that their is a fix. He also said it had nothing to do with the glue. It’s actually the pixels themselves. He said that Tesla isn’t swapping screens unless the owner wants to pay the $1k+ for it. I told him this is a warranty issue and I really want it replaced st no charge. He want to his truck came back and said “well the order says to replace it and there’s no cost on the order. So I’ll just replace it”. And he did.
Not sure if this means anything but I got delivery of my vehicle in September 2018. Problem started April’ish of 2019. All I know is that I lucked out. He said the problem may appear again with this screen. Good luck up you all.

Well then he’s wrong. How does he explain the distinct yellowing that I and many others see when the screen is off and the sun is shining on the screen? If it’s the pixels, it would only be seen when the screen is on.

Tesla techs are not technology people, they are mechanics who have to deal with technology. Any explanations they offer is coming from a good place of wanting to help, but they rarely understand the underlying technology and often cite reasoning that makes little sense. It's coming from a good place, though.

The iPhone a few generations ago had this issue. It's a glue lamination problem. Apple replaced all affected iPhones with units that did not exhibit the problem. Tesla should do the same because this is clearly a material defect.

@eyeq123: Did you receive an invoice for the repair visit? The screen replacement part number is on there. What part did they replace your screen with? I just had my screen replaced for the air bubble issue (not screen yellowing) and mine was replaced with this:
SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY(1084333-00-A)

I think they put in an old part and I want them to swap it out with a Rev C or newer.

Tesla techs are not technology people, they are mechanics who have to deal with technology. Any explanations they offer is coming from a good place of wanting to help, but they rarely understand the underlying technology and often cite reasoning that makes little sense. It's coming from a good place, though.

The iPhone a few generations ago had this issue. It's a glue lamination problem. Apple replaced all affected iPhones with units that did not exhibit the problem. Tesla should do the same because this is clearly a material defect.

It's absolutely a material defect. Any insinuation this is not a defect is just BS.

Anyone with a serious yellow border defect also have a Sunroof?
Just as an experiment Park the car in the sun with the roof open so that the sun shines on the mcu for a few hours and see if that helps. Take before and after photos.
I say this because mine was a mild yellowing but for the past couple months I've had the roof open often while driving and I don't see the yellow anymore.