TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by testhrowaway, Jul 1, 2019.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

My assumption is that it is glue within the screen causing the yellow border - that would be the manufacturer. You're saying that Tesla glued components together & didn't purchase an assembled MCU?

2. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

This may be correct, I purchased a G170J1-LE1 LCD Display Panel from Innolux, it is the LCD screen only. The electronics and touch screen glass may be installed by Tesla.

• Like x 1
  3. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

Probably true. We've had one and it's been a pain, but Home CEO likes them and wants our next MS to have one.

SURELY Tesla can find a supplier SOMEWHERE that can make one that's not a disaster in the real world?

• Love x 2
  4. DCEV

DCEV Member

We also would not buy another Model S without a sunroof. Love ours and can't imagine a Model S without being able to open the sunroof.

We've had panoramic roofs in Mercedes vehicles that have operated flawlessly. If they can build a falcon wing door, surely then can build a reliable sunroof? A shame they discontinued one of the most popular options for the Model S.

Let's hope they don't discontinue LCD display because some defective displays turn yellow! :p:D

5. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Oddly enough mine has yellowed. I feel like it was fine one day and the next I got the yellow borders. Does this happen really quickly?!?!

6. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

Yes

• Informative x 1
  7. re04586

re04586 Member

Can you remind me again why you haven't filed a dispute yet?

8. sixela

sixela Active Member

Because they already told him they'd replace it? After all, it's hard to hand wave it away as "cosmetic" if it really does cripple functionality.

Of course, in arbitration he could probably get them to replace it within 30 days, even if Tesla is trying really hard not to replace a screen that has developed this condition with another that would also develop it...

9. kenttrog

kenttrog New Member

I have been trying for months to get Tesla SC in Charlotte and Raleigh, NC to replace the yellow-border screen on my 2017 Model S. After dodging my questions for weeks, one of their techs sent me the following text response (photo attached). I find it interesting they have resorted to calling it a ‘cosmetic’ issue. And on a car this expensive. The way the tech explained it, replacing the screen would not solve the problem as the concern would most likely return. So...Tesla is using the same defective screen on current production Model S and X that will eventually not be replaced under warranty (?). And they claim these models as their flagships. I want to get this screen replaced so I can sell the car. Tesla is great at reinventing the wheel on transportation tech but they need to study history on customer service. Not rocket science.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
  10. Ken7

Ken7 Member

It can happen quickly, slowly and every speed in between. It can be a timeless event. So no, it’s not odd at all.

• Informative x 1
  11. MSVroomVroom

MSVroomVroom Member

Unfortunately the only way you will get Tesla to handle this situation anytime soon is to go through arbitration. If you want the yellow screen fixed before resale and don't want to wait a few more months I'm not sure there is any other way. Start to finish the arbitration process is about 2 months (40 days maximum from filing to decision, 30 days maximum for repair).

Tesla only has three of the UV units and there is no confirmed timeline on when more are to come so it might be some time before your service center gets one. Further, the UV treatment doesn't work 100% of the time(we know of at least two failures in this thread). Not sure how they plan to handle UV treatment failures for non-arbitration cases (though I suspect not well).

• Informative x 1
  12. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Another smoking gun from Tesla Service... "the issue will most likely return if the screen is replaced" ... :cool:

[​IMG]

13. MSVroomVroom

MSVroomVroom Member

I have the feeling that reports of the latest screen revision fixing the yellow screen issue are overly optimistic. Tesla themselves doesn't seem to be willing to stand behind the screens. I guess time will tell.

I suspect (though this is pure conjecture on my part) that Tesla has all but given up on developing a screen for the existing revision of the S and X that won't suffer from this problem and has instead elected to just fix this in the redesign with a different screen.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

The big test to that is if the absolute latest vehicle builds start to show signs of yellowing, we know it doesn't take long in the right environment. If they yellow as well then we are all screwed.

15. Downtown

Downtown Member

Update: Made mobile service appointment on Tesla app for yellow borders on touchscreen.

Later that day I receive a text saying this cannot be resolved by mobile service and they have cancelled mobile service and switched my appt to service center.

Next day I call service center. I don’t want to drive in if waste of time. Person says mobile service “may” have the rotating tool to fix and they are cancelling my service center appt and notifying mobile service However I should not expect a response for at least a week but this way I am at least on “the list” of people with this problem.

That the one auto brand (Tesla) that I have “loved” would treat me worse than the great service advisors I have had at Honda, Audi/Porsche, Toyota, etc. is gut punch.

• Informative x 1
  16. MSVroomVroom

MSVroomVroom Member

Lucky for you Tesla's official stance on this issue is that it has zero or minimal impact on the value of the vehicle!

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Sure, it's the glue in the screen. But the screen itself is made up out of multiple components of which the LCD panel is just one. I have no information if Tesla procures all the components making up the screen from one contractor nor who assembled them together. But it seems strange for Tesla to push back so hard on warranty claims for this item if they could just pass on the associated financial costs to their suppliers.

• Like x 2
  18. SucreTease

SucreTease Teslarian

The most interesting and useful piece of information from this text message is that it attributes the cause to "high heat and humidity", whereas a couple of people on this thread have reported that, during arbitration, the lawyer for Tesla has attributed the cause to "sunlight". This discrepancy would seem to be useful information to present in future arbitrations; Tesla, itself, has not determined the root cause of the problem and is merely floating various theories. In short, it would be inappropriate to allow Tesla to dismiss the warranty claim based upon the "sunlight" loophole, since Tesla (through its lawyer) is merely speculating that it might be caused by sunlight, but doesn't really know.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  19. Zextraterrestrial

I wish!
    Sunroofs fail like the MCU screen!!! I hope the gen 2 pano track was better
    they wanted $6,500 to update mine after I paid >$1k and they tried to replace cables/ motors 3 times at once! and just made my roof worse so now it actually does not work without being assisted!
    :(

• Informative x 1
  20. wildag

wildag Member

After losing my arbitration case, the Tesla lawyer has forwarded my info to the local service center. They've scheduled me for a UV repair in a week. So even if you loose, you'll get a UV repair attempt - but only when the tool is conveniently located in your area.

During the arbitration, the Tesla lawyer claimed repeatedly that Tesla's position is that issue is caused by sunlight, and that the UV repair is to the best of their knowledge a permanent fix.

UV Fix Permanency
    After the arbitration, but before I received the claim denied response, I reported to the Tesla lawyer example posts in this thread about Tesla service centers claiming repeatedly that the UV fix is temporary. I was rather pointed in my email that it appears either Tesla has an internal communications problem, or the lawyer has an honesty problem. The lawyer re-iterated his stance that the UV fix is permanent, and that I should not to impugn his honesty. So I'll take him at his word, and apparently this whole "UV fix permanency" is just an honest mistake in internal communications. Time will tell.

Root Cause
    Because my arbiter focused solely on the sunlight issue in his denial determination - I do think it's important that Tesla prove that sun light is the cause. However, that doesn't seem to be the standard for the arbitration. Clearly Tesla has another internal communications problem - as service centers are telling people the cause is heat and humidity, not sunlight related.

Call for an experiment
    If you have a screen in a car manufactured before April 2019, and have not yet incurred the yellow border issue - you have a chance to run an experiment that might save a lot of fellow Tesla owners money and time. Take a piece of opaque black paper - and simply tape it to an area on the left or right of your screen. It should be about 3 inches wide, and at least three inches tall. It should aligned to touch either the left or right border of the screen. Leave that piece of paper in place until the yellowing occurs. Then remove the paper and report whether the yellowing occurred under the piece of paper. If the yellowing occurs under the paper, then the issue is very likely not caused by sunlight.

Any takers?

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2