Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon is the communications arm of Tesla. Nothing as big as this is done without his explicit approval. Or are you suggesting his employees are keeping him in the dark about the yellow screens? Just because he pretends there is no issue, doesn't mean he doesn't know about and is not pulling all the strings.

I know in my much smaller company that there are serious issues that sometimes I'm completely unaware of. I would agree with someone saying that Elon may not necessarily know about the yellowing issue, and if he does, he may not be aware of how widespread it is. He may only be lead to believe it's a few cars, when it could be thousands, or hundreds of thousands.

Elon has thousands of issues daily that he has to handle, so unless someone is screaming fire, they may get completely overlooked.

EDIT: The other issue in companies of that size is ego/job preservation. If the guy right under him was the one approving that specific vendor, that guy has no incentive to take that issue to Elon... Elon's first question will be, "Why are we using that vendor, who approved the use of that product in our vehicles" and then it goes downhill from there. There could be forces internally purposely trying to keep Elon in the dark on that issue (or others). How many times have you seen him tweet that he was unaware and will rectify. It's happened.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I would agree with someone saying that Elon may not necessarily know about the yellowing issue, and if he does, he may not be aware of how widespread it is. He may only be lead to believe it's a few cars, when it could be thousands, or hundreds of thousands.
If this was only a few cars, they would have replaced everyone's screens and be done with it. This is much bigger and there is no way Elon doesn't know about it.

Reactions: am_dmd
As much as I want to believe Musk knows everything that is happening, I tend to doubt this is the case. Does he know that there is an engineering problem? I'd bet good money on it. Is he aware that the warranty department is attempting to deny coverage for this defect, probably not.

I'd bet what he does know is that the warranty cost per car is too high and he has asked department heads to reduce those costs. To that end, denying warranty coverage on something that is "a cosmetic anomaly, which has NO impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen" is exactly the type of cold calculation I would expect from an accountant attempting to reduce the bottom line impact of a cost center.

As much as I want to believe Musk knows everything that is happening, I tend to doubt this is the case. Does he know that there is an engineering problem? I'd bet good money on it. Is he aware that the warranty department is attempting to deny coverage for this defect, probably not.

I'd bet what he does know is that the warranty cost per car is too high and he has asked department heads to reduce those costs. To that end, denying warranty coverage on something that is "a cosmetic anomaly, which has NO impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen" is exactly the type of cold calculation I would expect from an accountant attempting to reduce the bottom line impact of a cost center.

Ignorant question, but hasn’t this been tweeted to him a number of times? He does seem to read all of his tweets. I fall in the camp of “he knows,” and has prioritized it as something to be solved in due course w/o spending huge money. A distraction from the core mission.

Ignorant question, but hasn’t this been tweeted to him a number of times? He does seem to read all of his tweets. I fall in the camp of “he knows,” and has prioritized it as something to be solved in due course w/o spending huge money. A distraction from the core mission.

Maybe, maybe not. The man must receive literally thousands of directed tweets a day. I have to think it's the digital equivalent of standing on a busy street corner and trying to pay attention to every conversation you hear.

Maybe, maybe not. The man must receive literally thousands of directed tweets a day. I have to think it's the digital equivalent of standing on a busy street corner and trying to pay attention to every conversation you hear.

At this point, I'd assume the chance he does not know about this mess to do with getting warranty service for a defective part is the same possibility that we are NOT living in a simulation :p

Reactions: Geek190
At this point, I'd assume the chance he does not know about this mess to do with getting warranty service for a defective part is the same possibility that we are NOT living in a simulation :p

Maybe...? I don't think there is concrete proof either way. Regardless, this isn't a problem Elon is likely to address directly as it is not visible enough, nor is it 'interesting'. If we really want Elon to address the problem, we need media attention. We should perhaps start with getting something posted (again?) on Electrek.

Maybe...? I don't think there is concrete proof either way. Regardless, this isn't a problem Elon is likely to address directly as it is not visible enough, nor is it 'interesting'. If we really want Elon to address the problem, we need media attention. We should perhaps start with getting something posted (again?) on Electrek.

Electrek does not reach a big enough audience, I think if the yellowing border issue and the issues with Tesla nerfing battery charging with capacity makes national news, that will get Elon's attention. Have a large room of everyone that have been effected by both sit down with a reporter and have it televised how Tesla is not honoring warranties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias
Elon is the communications arm of Tesla. Nothing as big as this is done without his explicit approval. Or are you suggesting his employees are keeping him in the dark about the yellow screens? Just because he pretends there is no issue, doesn't mean he doesn't know about and is not pulling all the strings.

Yeah, completely agree. I couldn’t believe a few had suggested that somehow “Elon is being kept in the dark” about this and poor service in general. What a crock it s***t.

What about if the YouTube "celebrities" all made videos on these subjects?
Is that a medium that would get Tesla's attention? There's half a dozen or more with over a hundred thousand followers...
A good idea but I can think of one example where this hasn't worked.
Telsa Racing Channel (150K+ subs) suggested a reworking of how Launch Mode should be activated and explained why. It made perfect sense from a racing perspective but the operation hasn't changed so I'm not sure anything gets through to the inner sanctum from the outside world.

What about if the YouTube "celebrities" all made videos on these subjects?
Is that a medium that would get Tesla's attention? There's half a dozen or more with over a hundred thousand followers...

What incentive do they have? It would seem that they want to stay on Tesla’s good side if they want freebies and invites to events. They can’t really afford to make Tesla an enemy.

Reactions: Curious George
You guys are making assumptions that Tesla thinks this is also a big deal. I would argue that they think quite the opposite.

Sadly this might be accurate. Internally the yellow screen might not be a big issue as many are focused on the future (3 and Y) and as long as this isn’t getting media attention they might not feel (or know) it is impacting the brand image.

It’s also possible the poor service is just working as intended. Good service cost money bad service is (probably) cheaper in the short term.

Reactions: rjdoc74