Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This kind of mess is a serious blow to the manufacturer owned store and service center model. If it were independent dealers, they would've worked hard to make these repairs, as they make money when they do. That was probably why manufacturer owned dealerships were disallowed in the past and still disallowed in many states.

Is there any poll on this yellow screen issue? Just wondering how common it is.

This kind of mess is a serious blow to the manufacturer owned store and service center model. If it were independent dealers, they would've worked hard to make these repairs, as they make money when they do. That was probably why manufacturer owned dealerships were disallowed in the past and still disallowed in many states.

Is there any poll on this yellow screen issue? Just wondering how common it is.

I also wonder how common it is. I have a 2017 S. Had my yellow screen replaced 8 months ago. And it has returned again

I guess I was thinking that they might speak out because they are also Tesla owners.
But you're spot on in that there is no incentive. And to be fair, if I was in that inner circle I probably would see it differently too.
I'm not throwing shade.

Ahh, okay. This was news to me that they are in-fact doing the fix. I didn't know they started. That's great though!

Coincidentally, I just talked to a rep at my SC and he said they are doing the fix. Needs to come into the shop and be a cool environment he said.

New to the forum and this message thread. I noticed yellowing on the main screen two months ago. It was a few pixels wide and appears to be getting worse. It is now over a cm wide on all edges and rounding at the corners. Is this typical?

Does the binnacle screen also have this problem? Yesterday in bright sunlight I believe I saw a yellow border, especially at the bottom of the screen.

This speculation is incorrect. The reason manufacturer-owned dealerships were disallowed was a restriction in the franchise contracts made between manufacturers and dealers to prevent a manufacturer from opening up its own sales and service across the street (figuratively) from one of its franchised dealers, which would be manifestly unfair (since a dealer buys a franchise from the manufacturer). The dealer better get certain protections from the manufacturer in exchange for buying a franchise. Dealer associations later got these contractural restrictions passed as laws in some states.

Reactions: DougUnplugged
New to the forum and this message thread. I noticed yellowing on the main screen two months ago. It was a few pixels wide and appears to be getting worse. It is now over a cm wide on all edges and rounding at the corners. Is this typical?

Does the binnacle screen also have this problem? Yesterday in bright sunlight I believe I saw a yellow border, especially at the bottom of the screen.

Since this is probably helpful to many I will do my best to summarize the current state of the Tesla yellow screen issue as it stands today.

• A yellow border forms around the center touchscreen on Model S and Model X cars.
  • This has been going on since 2016.
  • The cause is likely heat / oxidation impacting the glue between the LCD and the glass.
    • Tesla's lawyer has been claiming that the issue is caused by "sunlight".
      • Ryan, Tesla's lawyer, has been specifically asked why the roofs are still glass if sunlight is an issue. He has been unable to answer this.
    • No one know for sure if Tesla is responsible for applying the glue or they get it from the supplier with the glue already applied.
  • Tesla's official stance on this issue (backed up by numerous accounts from service centers and the lawyer) is that the screen is a wear and tear item since the issue presents itself over time as a result of "the environment". It seems possible the root cause of "sunlight" might be because it is mentioned as an exclusion in the warranty.
  • For years, Tesla would just replace a yellow touchscreen under warranty. They stopped doing this over six months ago.
  • Tesla has been cancelling service requests for fixing this issue for months. At some point they started telling people that they could pay for a replacement screen for about $1300.
  • Tesla has a UV treatment for the issue.
    • There have been some reports of the treatment failing to fully remove the yellow banding. In those cases Tesla has replaced the screen (this has only been confirmed for arbitration claims. We do not yet have proof of them doing this outside of arbitration). The UV does seem to have worked for some.
    • Tesla only has three of the UV units at this moment. Tesla's lawyer who handles arbitration cases seems to have the power to dictate where these units are sent.
    • A few reports state the UV treatment takes a few hours and the car needs to be in a dark place during it.
    • There are conflicting reports from representatives at Tesla as to if the UV treatment is permanent. Tesla's lawyer handling the arbitration cases has claimed it is but others have stated it is not.
    • Tesla was saying that the UV treatment was a one time goodwill gesture.
    • Representatives have confirmed that this is temporary. The lawyer claims it is permanent
    • Tesla's lawyer claims they have been testing the effectiveness of the treatment by leaving screens on the roof of HQ.
  • Several people have gone through arbitration with NCDS to get their touchscreens fixed.
    • It appears Tesla is losing most of these cases but there are two known wins for Tesla. In those cases it seems Tesla is still doing the UV treatment.
    • There have been several reports of deceitful tactics being employed by the Tesla lawyer. It appears he is willing to flat out lie to the arbitrators in order to win a case. There are numerous reports that he claims the owner never presented the car for service. He will try hard to make you look like an impatient luxury car owner who hasn't given Tesla a chance to do anything.
    • Most people seem to be contacted by the Tesla lawyer after filing in an attempt to avoid arbitration. If you negotiate with him you can likely get the screen replaced with the same 30-day guarantee that would come from arbitration.
  • The issue also exists on the instrument cluster but in most cases does not appear to be as severe.
    • Service centers are not aware of a UV fix for the IC.

This speculation is incorrect. The reason manufacturer-owned dealerships were disallowed was a restriction in the franchise contracts made between manufacturers and dealers to prevent a manufacturer from opening up its own sales and service across the street (figuratively) from one of its franchised dealers, which would be manifestly unfair (since a dealer buys a franchise from the manufacturer). The dealer better get certain protections from the manufacturer in exchange for buying a franchise. Dealer associations later got these contractural restrictions passed as laws in some states.
If that was the case, they would ONLY need to put a clause that the manufacturer will not compete with the dealer in their franchise agreement, there would be no need to laws. This was not the case here though, the restrictions were legislated in the name of protecting the consumer, not protecting the dealers. It was meant to prevent this exact sort of thing - manufacturer screws up and refuses to fix things, or makes repairs hard to obtain (by for example not expanding their service centers network - something they could not prevent with independent dealers, since if there was demand, someone would step up to fill it and make money at it). What Tesla is doing can be used as an example of why consumers need protections via independent dealers.

What Tesla is doing can be used as an example of why consumers need protections via independent dealers.

How would having dealers fix this issue? If Tesla refused to pay for the work under warranty the dealer isn't going to do it for free. Sure the dealers could push on Tesla to cover it, but I doubt it would make any difference at all.

Tesla will already replace the screen if you are willing to pay for it.

How would having dealers fix this issue? If Tesla refused to pay for the work under warranty the dealer isn't going to do it for free. Sure the dealers could push on Tesla to cover it, but I doubt it would make any difference at all.

Tesla will already replace the screen if you are willing to pay for it.
Dealer will fight a singe case, possibly a group of them or even the dealer association will simply file one case against Tesla. Once won, there is "every owner must file their own arbitration". It's worth it for the dealers, since they can charge money for every repair they perform. also, no problems with not able to get appointments to fix things, or loaner cars, or having to leave the car with service for days in order to perform a 1 hour service.

How do you think the dealer laws protect the consumers, or at least how it was argued to pass them?

Yes it does, comes in slower but it is certain. Mine if 5mm already I will be reporting this week to make sure they won't claim I did not. Waiting for WhiteX to go to the Bellevue SC for the "massage". If that does not go well I am considering picketing the SC :). Seriously this is the way to get media's attention.