Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Absolutely Worst ICE (New or Used) Auto Dealer Story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, dealership problems... I used to joke with a friend that we weren't having car problems but dealership problems.

Case #1 :Bought a used 1999 Honda Accord LX Coupe (4cyl, manual transmission) from my father-in-law. It was rented, I simply bought it for the "buy back price". Car had 55 000km or around 35K miles.
1-Transmission was making a weird noise when in neutral with the clutch not depressed. The noise would go away when depressing the clutch. I guessed a bad clutch bearing, I was right. Dealer changes the clutch bearing under warranty but while reassembling it, does not install the bearing correctly in its fork. I drove 50ft and I totally destroyed the pressure plate and everything in the bell-housing. They swapped the whole transmission for a new one from Honda... It worked for maybe half a mile : they had forgotten to put oil in it! 2nd new transmission! During all this time, I could not get a loaner because I wasn't 25 yo. (24!)

2-Engine started to make weird knocking noise at low RPM under no load. Went to the dealer, was told it was normal. Car started sipping oil. Went again, told it was within tolerances. Drivetrain warranty was about to expire (had only 4000km left) so I filmed my engine noise and posted on a local car enthusiast website. A guy there decided to show the video to his dad who was the senior mechanic at the same local Honda dealer. Guy told me to come over and he would deal with it. Had a loud fight (verbal) with the staff because they did not want to see me again. I had to run in the garage and ask for the senior tech... he came out and had to convince the staff to change the short block. Got a new engine installed, car started to do the same noise around 85K km later. Was told that it was a design defect with the 2.3L engines : the open deck design of the block made it so that the cylinder sleeves were never 100% aligned with the piston travel and the skirts of the piston would rub off on the walls and get loose.

Remember that at the time, the Honda Accord was considered one of the best rated car for reliability.

Case #2 : Traded the Honda for a brand new Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged. Before you trash GM, if you are not aware, this is not a base Cobalt at all. All the drivetrain, including the wheel bearings, suspension, disks & caliper, etc etc was coming straight from the SAAB 9-3. Decided to rent since the interest rate was lower and TCO was lower.
1-Got out of the parking lot with the car and the leather boot for the transmission decided to un-clip itself. They had broken the clips while doing a small service bulletin. Took 2 visits to fix it since they had to use a saw on the shift knob and did not thing to remove the plastic cap to check for a screw!

2-Car was running way too rich. Black smoke all the time rich. After 2-3months, the idle was crap since the plugs were crapped by the excess fuel. The declined to pay for the new plugs. I decided to change them myself. 4-5 months later, car was starting to lack power. Catalytic converter was running SUPER hot. It went away but it started developing a small leak in the exhaust. After 3 visit, they finally agreed to lift it to check for the leak : I had a 1in hole in the downpipe before the cat. The car was not making too much noise because it had a pre-catalytic converter. When I told them "the cat is probably blocked because it melted!" they refused to acknowledge this. They swapped the downpipe but called saying they had the "wrong part number". 3 days later I get my car and look under it : brand new catalytic converter. Asked them about it, they told me they simply cleaned the outside because it was on the bench. Took a good look at the invoice and the part descriptions were all blanked. Looked everyone of them and they changed the catalytic converter but did not was to give me the credit

3-GM issues a recall for a fuel pump / fuel level issue. I get there, takes 25min and it's fixed. WOW! 3 days later, I get stuck on the highway, car died and won't restart. I walk 4-5miles to get gas and when I open up the gas cap to put it in, I head a loud vacuum noise : while lifting the car, they had squeeze the vent line and my fuel pump created a vacuum in the tank.

4-Inside door handle stops working on driver side. They fix it. The same day, outside door handle stops working, they also fix it. The next week, it happens again : I call them and was told "my guys frequently forget to put the retaining pins"... come on...

5-Before my warranty runs out, I ask to get a front headlight swapped because it was fogging up. I tell them "don't mix up the years, mine is a 2006, in 2008 they changed the reflector color to white and installed a yellow bulb". Waited 3h for it to get installed, check the beam, they look OK. On my drive home, people give me the high-beams. Not only the sealed beam was not installed properly (top clips we in but bottom clips were outside their hole), it was never aligned. Then I look again : wrong version of the headlight!. I call the guy and tell them I want a new headlight, the correct one, and that I'll install it myself in less than 20min in the parking lot. After having to sign a waiver in case I drop it while installing it, I do the whole job in less the 15min, including aligning the beam!

Case #3 : I order a 2010 Subaru Legacy.
1-Since they are getting in Canada in very small number and I ask to postpone my delivery by 2 weeks, the owner of the dealership asks me if I would allow them to showcase my car since they have no inventory and mine is a fully loaded Limited edition. I was told my car would be left locked, no test drives and they would only show the interior / exterior. In exchange, they are giving me a full waxing and a free oil-change. I agree, take a few pics of the car. 2 days later, a friend comes over from oversea and I told him "come with me to the dealership, you'll see my car. They are closed but I'll be in the showroom". I get there, my car is in the parking lot, and VERY dirty. The next day I get there and I see salesman driving it from home! and SMOKING in the car! I took a few pics and waited for my delivery date. When I took delivery, the car had 257km more than new and I confronted them about everything that was going on. They told me that I could take the car or not but I'm in trouble since the Cobalt has to come back to GM and I'll be on my feets! Managed to deal a full set of OEM steel wheels + OEM caps + 4 winter tires + winter mats + whole car wash (inside and outside) and $1500 off the car.

2-Only issue I had with the Subaru was the premium audio amp gave out, the rest was OK.

After that, I bought a 2013 Volvo S60 and the dealer was very honest. This was my greatest car buying / owning experience. Took a couple of visits to fix a GPS antenna issue but it was very painless.

Then I got the Tesla. Service had been stellar and lets just say that it rises the bar!

Honda. I will never even consider that brand again. The sales experience was basically "the line forms to your left" if you want one. Afterwards it was constantly in the dealer shop for repair. On one overnight stay the car was broken in to and vandalized. The dealer would not stand behind it and I ended up dealing with the police and insurance on my own for a problem that occurred while it was in their possession. Sheesh!

Honda became synonymous with illegal activity and sleaze in the 1990's: http://www.autonews.com/article/200...dirty-secret-of-bribes--finally-came-to-light

By 1995, the U.S. Justice Department, operating out of Concord, N.H., indicted more than two dozen ex-Honda managers, dealers and vendors under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, with charges ranging from mail fraud to obstruction of justice. The list included Billmyer, Cardiges and Epsteen.
All charges resulted in either guilty pleas or jury convictions, and all resulted in prison sentences.

My recollection was that in the 80's and 90's, Honda automobiles had a significant advantage over most of their counterparts in real-world fuel economy as well as subjective driving experience. I remember comparing an Accord to a Ford Taurus (probably the best American midsize sedan of the era), and walking away thinking that the Accord was almost like a Bimmer while the Taurus handled like a clumsy barge. Consumer Reports' reliability survey results made Accord the hands down winner. The Honda dealers knew they had gold on their lots, and often treated customers accordingly.

Buying:
  • In the early 90's, we went shopping for a car for my wife at a Geo/Toyota dealer. Test drove a Geo Prizm (rebadged Toyota Corolla, built at the NUMMI plant). Most of the sales droid's pitch was "It's really a Toyota Corolla, so it's really reliable". I was clearly too tall to fit (even with the seat cushion lowered all the way, I had to hunch down to keep my head off the ceiling). He called several times over the next few days, trying to convince us to buy a Corolla instead (even though the interior space was identical). Finally, I asked, "If I didn't fit in the Geo, why would I fit in the identical Toyota?". He stopped calling after that.
  • I tried to buy a used Chevy diesel pickup from a local Chevy dealer. They were asking at least $5k over FMV, because the sales manager was convinced there was an upcoming shortage for diesels when the emissions regs changed in Q110 (nevermind that GM was running 3 shifts at full capacity to stockpile LMM engines, which would be grandfathered under the old regs). Shortage never materialized (duh), truck languished on the lot for 3 months and was finally firesaled by the new sales manager after the prior one was fired.

Service (this is what I get for letting someone else work on my car when I'm tight on time):
  • Saturn dealer service droid failed to properly tighten my oil drain plug, which fell out on the way to work. I caught the very first flicker of the oil light, shut off the engine, coasted to the shoulder, called AAA and the dealer and yelled at them for a bit. I put another 100k on that car (180k total), so no major damage.
  • 20 years later, Chevy dealer service droid failed to properly tighten the oil filter, which worked loose. I caught it before it came off, when I noticed an oil spot in my driveway, reached under, and found the oil filter wet and loose. Hand tightened it, all was OK. Complained to the service manager and was told the tech was no longer working there. A friend of mine who worked part time there found out the tech did similar things to several cars. At least one engine seized as a result, costing the dealer a bunch of money and the tech his job.

My recollection was that in the 80's and 90's, Honda automobiles had a significant advantage over most of their counterparts in real-world fuel economy as well as subjective driving experience.

My 5-speed Accord hatchback would give me 47 MPG which really was quite incredible. The rest of the ownership experienced sucked, and 200 MPG wouldn't have made it worth it to me. Also, back then, they were quite light and frail. Probably a death trap in retrospect.

I have a story:

In college, I loaned my sister my car and agreed to drive her car for a short time. It was a Chevy Cavalier. Over the course of a few days, I noticed strange idling noises which later developed to two problems. The engine would die unexpectedly at any speed and would also sometimes start on its own when unattended! I was aggravated as I had to catch a ride back home when this car died at highway speeds and nearly created a terrible accident. After towing the car home, I called the dealership and told them about the problem and asked them to pick it up for repair. Initially, the service personnel told me I was young and foolish and that I likely created these problems somehow. After much arguing, they agreed to send a repair technician to my home to inspect the vehicle.

The repair technician arrived, did a quick eyeball look-over of the exterior of the car, and walked into our kitchen to reiterate the problems I described were not real and that I was just young and crazy, and would be charged for their service visit. As he continued on, the Cavalier roared to life with an high idle buzzing. Startled, he whipped around with eyes bulging to look at the car, and when he turned round to face me again, I placed the cars keys in his hands. He sheepishly told me the dealership would fix everything.

Haha, I can laugh about it now, but it was not fun then, for sure. The story is not much longer. The car was taken back to the dealership and it was in the shop for some time, maybe two weeks or so. I eventually received a call from the service manager telling me the car was repaired, that they had replaced the ignition and some electronics, and completed testing to make sure everything was back to factory form. Once I picked up the car, I convinced my sister to trade-in the vehicle for another car immediately and she bought a VW.

Now years later, I'm pretty sure the car was affected by the ignition switch problem that GM struggled with recently. I think we all have some pretty crazy stories.

Worst Buying:
-Came to buy a car out of college, got ripper of (I think we might have even paid over MSRP... sigh). The dealership was good at what they did. Also pretty sure I never got the monroney sticker for the car (which I now know is illegal)

Worst Service:
-Came to the same dealership as above for our 2 years of free oil changes. During one of the oil changes, my wife was there with the car, the sales rep told her "if you don't replace the air filter, your engine will die". And they wanted to charge her some ludicrous amount. I don't remember where I was, I might have been getting a cup of coffee or something, I come back and the guy sees that my wife isn't alone, and she turns to him (she knew it was BS, and she knew I'd get a good laugh out of it) and tells him "can you repeat what you just told me to my husband?" and the guy turns to me with a straight face "if you don't replace the air filter, the engine will die" I look at him, and tell him "we're both engineers, can you please explain to us how the engine will "die" due to a slightly dirty air filter?". The look on his face went from "haha, about to make a sale" to "o @#$%". There was a lot of "uhh... umn... oh... " and I said "ok then, we're done here, can I have the keys?"
-Went to NTB for a tire rotation, they forgot to tighten all but one lugnut on one of the wheels in my wifes car. Sigh... we drove off, and she tells me "there's some strange knocking from the rear" I told her I'll check it out at home. I did, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it, so I said I'll follow her to NTB to drop off the car and yell at them for breaking it. As we're about to get on the highway, I see her rear wheel wobbling, I honk/flash my lights, and call her to NOT get on the highway. Re-tightened the renaming 4 lugnuts on the side of the road, and drove to NTB anyways to yell at them. Boy did I do a lot of yelling. Got some free stuff out of them (though I was a little worried about bringing the car back).

Best buying experience:
-Went to the same dealership for her last 2 car purchases/leases. No pressure at all, came in for 2-3 test drives each time. Made them stay way past closing, without buying the car that day. They gave pretty good trade-in offers and pretty good new-car offers, and the rest I pushed a little on them to go from pretty-good to great. So not all stealerships are horrible. If we end up not getting a Model 3 next, she's going back to the same dealership to get a new car in a few years.

Best buying experience was buying my G35. Called the dealership asked for the internet sales manager told him what I wanted, then came in to buy the car. Had the sports package on the car which I didn't want so he just took off the $2500 (or whatever it was), and I bought the car. Took about 45 minutes from walking in to leaving with the keys. Turned out that the sports package was really useful with the heated seats.

Worst buying experience was trying to find a Highlander Hybrid on New Year's Day. Drove to Santa Monica (about 20 miles), then drove to El Monte (30 miles), drove back to Santa Monica because El Monte didn't have the car that they said they did (30 miles), Irvine Toyota said they had the car we wanted (50 miles), bought the car and returned home (40 miles). 170 miles of driving with 2 kids and an 8 month old. Started at 9 am got home around 10 pm.
Not to mention that when in El Monte, we went to a Nissan dealership to look at the Pathfinder Hybrid. Went into the showroom to look at the car, two kids playing around in the car, I can see about 5 sales people talking about 50 feet away, nobody comes to us after 10 - 15 minutes so we go outside to look at the ones in the lot. Look at the cars in the lot for another 10 minutes with nobody coming, so we leave.