Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your input on Efficiency penalty in changing tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in NJ and having to commute each day to NYC regardless of weather I wanted to go with an all season tire at a minimum…
On Oct 28 2021 at 55,761 miles - MY tires changed to Michelin Pilot sport all season 4 at Costco
I’m now over 15,000 miles on the new tires with two road trips. They handle great but using a bit more energy.
I was very fortunate to get over 55,000 miles in 13 months on the stock 19” tires for MY 2020 LR
I was concerned about effects on range when switching away from the OEM tires but my research indicated it should only be 5-10% efficiency loss which didn’t seem too bad, right ? I guess until you need those last couple percent hehe.(188 mile commute)
Observed efficiency Quickly went from averaging 270Wh/m to over 310-320. I went right into a road trip vacation with new tires. Chalked it up to overpacking the car and driving too fast. The car adjusted eventually but the computer was thrown off in the beginning calculating supercharges down the east coast.
The stats app provides a nice illustration though I wish I had more data from the previous winter
308396E9-B84F-4871-A731-4D4D23D1E1F7.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B9BB8A2-F62F-4ADE-A231-B7C5ADF13A0B.jpeg
    9B9BB8A2-F62F-4ADE-A231-B7C5ADF13A0B.jpeg
    580.5 KB · Views: 178
Those new tires are stickier, lower efficiency is expected. Some people have seen very bad efficiency in the first few weeks and then things stabilized, but not you. Now, you switched tires at the end of october, right around the time where temperatures are going down for winter. I think you should compare this period against last year in winter. What you are seeing is probably a combination of new tires and colder weather.

Living in NJ and having to commute each day to NYC regardless of weather I wanted to go with an all season tire at a minimum…
On Oct 28 2021 at 55,761 miles - MY tires changed to Michelin Pilot sport all season 4 at Costco
I’m now over 15,000 miles on the new tires with two road trips. They handle great but using a bit more energy.
I was very fortunate to get over 55,000 miles in 13 months on the stock 19” tires for MY 2020 LR
I was concerned about effects on range when switching away from the OEM tires but my research indicated it should only be 5-10% efficiency loss which didn’t seem too bad, right ? I guess until you need those last couple percent hehe.(188 mile commute)
Observed efficiency Quickly went from averaging 270Wh/m to over 310-320. I went right into a road trip vacation with new tires. Chalked it up to overpacking the car and driving too fast. The car adjusted eventually but the computer was thrown off in the beginning calculating supercharges down the east coast.
The stats app provides a nice illustration though I wish I had more data from the previous winterView attachment 757533
55K miles on OEM tires is great - Best of luck with your new set of tyres- mileage and comfort varies by tyre make and manufacturer- so keep your fingers crossed and see how much you get from he new tyres

Reactions: Marks321
Those new tires are stickier, lower efficiency is expected. Some people have seen very bad efficiency in the first few weeks and then things stabilized, but not you. Now, you switched tires at the end of october, right around the time where temperatures are going down for winter. I think you should compare this period against last year in winter. What you are seeing is probably a combination of new tires and colder weather.
Great point, going into cold weather is definitely another big factor. I’m sure a part of that big swing is associated with the cold

I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4s after about 600 miles. I am now some 7,000+ miles on the Pilot Sport AS 4s -- I too have 310Wh/mi over the life of the tires. I have nothing to compare it to as I didn't keep the stock Continentals long enough to see what my average would be.

Your post has confirmed my suspicions though as I DID note that our Model Y gets significantly worse Wh/mi than our Model 3 with its stock Michelin procontacts. I figured it was the tires, and it probably, mostly, is. It might partially be the aftermarket rims I switched to at the same time as the tires. Hard to complain with how good these tires are though.

The consumption difference in going from the MYP Pirellis to Pilot Sport AS4s has been within the margin of error for me. On paper I'm using 10-13 more wh/mi but a good chunk of the AS4 miles have been at highway speed with a hitch mounted bike rack (with and without a bike).

Less efficiency is a given in cold weather and with "sport" tire - it's also true for ICE cars when you have tires that have a better grip. How much will vary with the specific tires and your driving pattern. It's more pronounced with winter tires (but worth it, in my opinion).

I switched to Vredestein Quatrac Pros on my MYLR at about ~1000 miles, and at 20K+ miles, I've averaged exactly 270Wh/mi. At least 50% of these miles are highway. Before switching tires, I averaged about 255Wh/mi, but most of that mileage was between June-Aug 2020 in the Mid-Atlantic region, so temps were quite warm before the tire change.

Reactions: Pricedm and Gaige
The stats app provides a nice illustration though I wish I had more data from the previous winterView attachment 757533
I am having the exact same experience with the exact same tires from Costco. I compare year-over-year, same average temperature (as calc’d by TeslaFi) for a month, and my monthly efficiency is FAR worse now with the brand new tires than the last two years at this time. Similar to OP, I’ve gone from a 270-280 average in winter months to nearly 330 Wh/m this January.

Do we just accept this? What is the adjustment to make? Did we buy the wrong tires? Is there a way to buy the OEM tires from Tesla?

I’m a bit of an efficiency freak so I’m pretty annoyed. This combined with my 10% range loss in 3 years has me becoming more limited than I want to be with range

Last edited:
Just posted same in another thread. Z rated tires or tires with low treadwear rating suck for EVs. Get the highest treadwear tire, this will avoid sticking to the road making easier for the vehicle to move. They add upto 40-80wh/mi (city/hwy) inefficiency which is crazy.

Just posted same in another thread. Z rated tires or tires with low treadwear rating suck for EVs. Get the highest treadwear tire, this will avoid sticking to the road making easier for the vehicle to move. They add upto 40-80wh/mi (city/hwy) inefficiency which is crazy.
Keep in mind it’s always a trade. High tread wear will take longer to stop and often worse grip when wet.

I just did a 63 mile round trip in my S with summer tires (very low tread wear) and got 235 wh/mi.

Reactions: GtiMart