Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Youxia Ranger X - Chinese knockoff of the Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took 50 people just over a year? I believe it. After all how long does it take to disassemble a car and reverse engineer every single part but with some aesthetic differences so as not to appear totally ridiculous. I dislike knockoffs. There's no innovation, original thinking or progress involved.

Interesting idea concerning the holo-grill. Any type of graphic, from logos to names to animated stuff, can be put up there (electronic license plate?). The guy who designed it is a huge Knight Rider fan (hence the name).

hologrill.gif

The exterior design:

A mix between Tesla, Maserati, Ferrari and Lexus. There’s even hints of Audi.

It's not bad. As I see the pictures the rear could be a bit more tear-drop shaped. And more hatchback-shaped like the Model S and the Audi A5 Sportback instead of this sedan shape they’re going with now. And I would change the chrome behind the C-pillar/'horizontal window-line'. But that's about it.

Edit:
Maybe it isn’t so sedan-shaped after all... But I missed the rather huge and unshapely bulb sticking out of the back. That part I don’t get either…

Last edited:
They even imitate the general look of the Tesla website. It's really sad and kinda pathetic to see an industrial country permit (and even encourage) this.
Was Tesla really first with that kind of design though?

Just like Tesla, Youxia currently only have one (future) product. That kind of web design fits very well for any corporation in a similar situation…

Last edited:
I lot of copycat Chinese stuff looks great but runs like the junk it often is. Likely the same with this car. Buyer beware.

I couldnt agree more.I visited the secret Knock off places for clothes and bags when I was in Shanghai and Hong Kong(the wife is from Shanghai so translation no problem!) the stuff is amazingly close but the quality is not quite there. Maybe they should have named it the Tezra and used a stylized "T" as well

I am just wondering who will buy this car when it is the same price as the model 3. Who would people trust more, Tesla or Youxia ??
China is the world's largest auto market. 1/2% of the population is 7.5 million people. Some may buy it, some will buy a Tesla for the prestige. Youxia is making a bigger commitment than BMW or MB are making.

Last edited:
My first reaction was "Lol, junk-heap... hope it falls apart on test drive and the company fails. Only Tesla should succeed because they were the true innovators!!"

But then the 2nd thought: "You know, China is poised to be one of the biggest polluters on the planet over the next 50 years... what if this thing is awesome and everyone in China buys one. This would probably make Elon happy even if Tesla was out-competed..."

So I'm sticking with my 2nd thought... hopefully India and Russia are next. The patents are public domain for a reason! Go go copycats!

My project manager travels to China a lot selling test equipment to Chinese electronics makers. He has seen China's engineering up close. His observation is that China is capable of excellent engineering and production quality. They have the expertise and there are some companies striving to be the best, but the drive to at least meet a universal minimum doesn't exist there as it does in a lot of other countries, and regulation of products is very lax. There is still some honor in producing a junk product and making a lot of money with it. In the west, a company producing a product that is too shoddy would probably get sued out of business.

People can debate what the poorest quality cars sold in the US are, by some measures, it's VW, others might say Fiat products, and there are other opinions. But the worst cars sold in the US are probably far more reliable than the bottom rung of cars made in China. The best cars made in China probably are on par with what you can get in the west, but the worst are probably among the worst in the world. China has been eying the US car market, but they still haven't introduced a car in the US market yet. Most of the cars sold in China today are designs from outside the country, though most are built there. I suspect many Chinese cars introduced here would become the new Yugo.

I also noticed the OS for the Youxia is Android which is not the most secure OS in the world.

My first reaction was "Lol, junk-heap... hope it falls apart on test drive and the company fails. Only Tesla should succeed because they were the true innovators!!"

But then the 2nd thought: "You know, China is poised to be one of the biggest polluters on the planet over the next 50 years... what if this thing is awesome and everyone in China buys one. This would probably make Elon happy even if Tesla was out-competed..."

So I'm sticking with my 2nd thought... hopefully India and Russia are next. The patents are public domain for a reason! Go go copycats!

Actually, China's going big on cutting greenhouse gases. I guess those in Beijing don't like breathing smog.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/06/30/3675599/china-makes-official-climate-pledge/

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/04/01/3641084/china-doing-good-things/

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/05/15/3659355/china-coal-use-drops/

http://cleantechnica.com/?s=china

1) Youxia has never produced a vehicle before.
2) it is extremely unlikely this vehicle will be safe.
3) The range is probably nonsense.
4) This vehicle will never be sold outside of China, assuming it is ever produced. Youxia is currently trying to raise money.
5) Runs Android?
6) There is a 0% chance this vehicle, assuming it is ever produced, will be in the same league as Tesla.
7) Too many problems to list.

Last edited: