Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zappi 2 - full power charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
In case owners are not aware there is a new firmware version released for the Zappi. It addresses one of the Tesla specific issues with charging. Though I haven't experienced this issue with the my Zappi and M3 I know that others have:

"This firmware update has been developed to deal with an issue with Tesla vehicles which fail to charge at full power even though Zappi is sending a maximum PWM value. Note – this update is required because the Tesla cars do not adhere to the smart charging standards.

There is still an issue with the Tesla failing to wake up when the Zappi starts a boost or ECO+ charge – this is due to the Tesla firmware. We understand that they are working on a new release which will fix this problem which affects all smart chargers."

zappi 2 - Firmware Version 2.142 - (Tesla "mini-fix") Release Notes - myenergi

From my testing, I can confirm that the Tesla Model 3 seems to not be compliant with all recognised AC charging standards, irrespective as to whether the charge point is smart or not.

It has a very fundamental failing in that, if the car is in a deep sleep mode, it fails to respond to any advertised charge power availability from the charge point. In effect, the car just turns off the charge port protocol controller, it seems, when the standard clearly states that there is no maximum wait time for the car when it is connected to an operable charge point. It should just sit and wait until the charge point starts to advertise the maximum available current, and then respond accordingly, but it fails to do this.

This is a separate issue to the charge current dropping back to a lower level some time after being initiated. Nice to see that MyEnergi have come up with a work around, but by doing so there is a chance that they've now made their own product non-compliant, I'd guess.

• Disagree
Reactions: T.F.S.
Sorry to drag up an old topic...has anyone had issues updating the zappi firmware...have followed all the instructions, I've left the zappi alone for the last 24 hours and it is saying it's 34% done. This can't be right! Was hoping to take advantage of the nice sunny weather but not that this rate!

Sorry to drag up an old topic...has anyone had issues updating the zappi firmware...have followed all the instructions, I've left the zappi alone for the last 24 hours and it is saying it's 34% done. This can't be right! Was hoping to take advantage of the nice sunny weather but not that this rate!

Ha ha ... yes, the upgrading process for the Zappi is really quite dreadful! I'll not go through the detail here because I'm sure you've read the instructions. Though some stages of the multi-stage process can take much longer than it says in the instructions you clearly have an additional issue. I would suggest that you first try to go through the menus and see if it will let you reboot ... you may even find that despite the 34% indicator the download has actually worked (that once happened to me ... however, my Zappi was ultimately determined to be faulty). You're probably going to have to start again. Have you posted on the Myenergi forum? You may see post from me about the terrible updating process! myenergi - Products

So I did post on the myenergi forum and they helped resolve it. Myhub is too far away from the zappi apparently so that's why it was slow. (Which I can do nothing about as it needs to be cabled to the router!). I ended up moving the hub closer to the zappi temporarily as the hub doesn't need internet to transfer once it's been downloaded to it...still tho...massive ball ache. At least my car is now charging from it as it should for the first time ever...which is nice

Reactions: Adopado
So I did post on the myenergi forum and they helped resolve it. Myhub is too far away from the zappi apparently so that's why it was slow. (Which I can do nothing about as it needs to be cabled to the router!). I ended up moving the hub closer to the zappi temporarily as the hub doesn't need internet to transfer once it's been downloaded to it...still tho...massive ball ache. At least my car is now charging from it as it should for the first time ever...which is nice

Brilliant .. glad you got it sorted!