Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Systems Are Powering Up. Press Brake When This Message Clears

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is in service right now for several issues, including a crack in my glass roof. The rep did not give me high hopes of a fix. In the meantime, the loaner car I am driving has not shown this error message even once in numerous "starts". My car, OTOH, has almost never failed to show this message.

The question I have for the group: has anyone achieved a complete fix for this? Sorry, but for me, a fix for this is an absolute requirement for me to consider the car fully functional. I find it absurd that my '49 Buick starts faster than my Tesla.

Reactions: GreenT
This is not a blank center screen. This is the message that appears on the instrument cluster.
I called the mother ship today and the person was very responsive. The diagnostic team is searching for a solution. In the meantime, the SC rep was far from helpful, and told me, in writing, that this is normal behavior. I am not happy.

I’ve had this message reliably show up every day after work, but only when I park the car in an underground garage in the lower levels where cellphone signal is very weak.... My current theory is that the starting routine is halted while waiting for the LTE connection to resume..

I’ve had this message reliably show up every day after work, but only when I park the car in an underground garage in the lower levels where cellphone signal is very weak.... My current theory is that the starting routine is halted while waiting for the LTE connection to resume..
Interesting theory. I have terrible LTE signal and both my home and office. I will observe. However, I do know distinctly that this has occurred while I was in a good signal area as well.

It could be. I read that at least the old MCU has no RTC, therefore when rebooting it doesn't know what time it is until it can reach the internet. Not knowing what time it is can make things wait, for example if they sign then code or anything with certificates, since that requires current time+date.

Just stumbled on this thread. Weirdly, my (Apr 2015 build) S85D almost never showed this message. Ironically, it's currently in the shop for an MCU replacement (CID was black and non-responsive after a short string of other issues). :( I'm currently driving an almost-brand-new (Dec 2018 build, so AP2.5 and MCU2) S75D loaner and that car shows this "powering up" message fairly frequently, or at least enough to be notable to me. It goes away on its own after a few seconds, so not all that bothersome...just...curious. Good LTE connectivity in my garage.

Bruce.

Been happening consistently for me since I bought the car in March 2018.
One time, I was stuck outside my coffee shop with the message, and the only solution was for me to initiate an update (that I had scheduled for 3:00am the next morning).

Back then, cars with MCU2 could not reboot the system with the scroll wheels method, so the only way i was able to drive away was to initiate the update that gave me that functionality, then reboot my system.

If I ever need to get in my MS and drive off in haste, I’m in deep *sugar* :)

Interesting theory. I have terrible LTE signal and both my home and office. I will observe. However, I do know distinctly that this has occurred while I was in a good signal area as well.
I saw that message when parked for about 40 minutes in a strong LTE signal area, so I also don't think signal strength is the issue. It was very cold though — could that have anything to do with the slow boot-up of the car? If there is a pattern to when I get the message and when I don't, I haven't discerned it.

For what it’s worth I have version 49.20 now and when in Florida I never get the message. When in colder weather in the north I get it constantly. I don’t see why cold weather would matter but I can say for sure it doesn’t happen in warm weather for me.

After a couple of days of testing, I can confirm that this issue seems to have nothing to do with temperature, as it occurs in both cold weather and after a nice day-long soak in a heated garage, nor does LTE strength seem to be a factor, as it occurs with both 4 bars of LTE or none.

Again, I think this is vehicle specific, as I was driving a loaner that was, as far as I could tell, an identical car, running the exact same firmware, and never once did I get this message over a 2 day period. Not even for a brief second.

When I first got this message on my 14 P85 the EMMC/MCU failed shortly after. (As in... That same day)
Got MCU replaced under warranty, had no issues with the message.
It just appeared again two nights ago, and I've noticed a couple of times where my MCU is completely powered off when I get in the car now.

I'll be keeping an eye on it, but if I feel my MCU is failing again (The car is on it's third one currently) I will be contacting my service center.

I have started turning on Fan from app before heading out of house and have stopped seeing the message most of the time. As long as I give the car a few minutes and don’t rush out to it, never failed for me. Also having 3rd party apps constantly communicating with your vehicle, it seems to take less time.