Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60/30-50/50-70 comparative times for 70D/85D/P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and will we have to redo all the testing for cars that it is on?

It may be that this new firmware widens the gaps for some models.

If so then that would be a good thing. Hopefully make people less upset over the whole 1ft rollout thing if they can now get 3.2 from a standstill :D

Speculation of course. But given the drop by MT from 2.8 to 2.6 (although that is with a 1ft rollout) it may be just enough time saved to bring the P85D (no L) from ~3.5 to 3.2 without the rollout (and with a rollout from 3.1 down to 2.9) *fingers crossed*

Speculation of course. But given the drop by MT from 2.8 to 2.6 (although that is with a 1ft rollout) it may be just enough time saved to bring the P85D (no L) from ~3.5 to 3.2 without the rollout (and with a rollout from 3.1 down to 2.9) *fingers crossed*

I think this thread looks a little skewed to the 85D. Otherwise,
  • The one-off, sell-reported, 3.87 '60, w/o roll-out, would be repeated among otherwise generally reported 4.0-4.1's with a roll-out (with roll-out should be lower), so this one looks really anomalous, and not helpful.
  • P90D. The MT 2.6 would be reflected
  • P85D. An uncharacteristic .45 second slower "no roll-out" time wouldn't exist. Tesla claims ~.2, and this seems closer to the actual gap folks report. The two can't be .37 apart w/o 1 foot, and then a second apart with??
  • Maybe it's time for some P85D (Ludicrous) data?

I know its a Wiki, but don't want to step on others toes, erasing stuff. For the sake of people considering the cars, however, I'd vote only for repeatable stats. That includes nixing the 3.87, and continuing to leave out Motor Trend's recent P90D (2.6 '60, and 10.9 quarter mile times). At least until later this week, when the whole PD series will need many updates :tongue:. As with others following the "Ludicrous Review" thread, the very usable 0-90mph stats, or specific changes from 30-90mph, are growing reasons some will favor paying up for PD. Time to re-launch the data.

I think this thread looks a little skewed to the 85D. Otherwise,
  • The one-off, sell-reported, 3.87 '60, w/o roll-out, would be repeated among otherwise generally reported 4.0-4.1's with a roll-out (with roll-out should be lower), so this one looks really anomalous, and not helpful.
  • P90D. The MT 2.6 would be reflected
  • P85D. An uncharacteristic .45 second slower "no roll-out" time wouldn't exist. Tesla claims ~.2, and this seems closer to the actual gap folks report. The two can't be .37 apart w/o 1 foot, and then a second apart with??
  • Maybe it's time for some P85D (Ludicrous) data?

I know its a Wiki, but don't want to step on others toes, erasing stuff. For the sake of people considering the cars, however, I'd vote only for repeatable stats. That includes nixing the 3.87, and continuing to leave out Motor Trend's recent P90D (2.6 '60, and 10.9 quarter mile times). At least until later this week, when the whole PD series will need many updates :tongue:. As with others following the "Ludicrous Review" thread, the very usable 0-90mph stats, or specific changes from 30-90mph, are growing reasons some will favor paying up for PD. Time to re-launch the data.

There was a self reported ~3.8 with a repeatable and consistent ~3.9 number done by someone in an 85D on a drag strip. There is a YouTube video of the guy doing like 30 runs or some such and it wasn't until much lower SOC values that it fell below 4 seconds. So either he has an extra special Tesla over all the other owners, or he has somehow modified his Tesla while still claiming it was stock.

There was a self reported ~3.8 with a repeatable and consistent ~3.9 number done by someone in an 85D on a drag strip. There is a YouTube video of the guy doing like 30 runs or some such and it wasn't until much lower SOC values that it fell below 4 seconds. So either he has an extra special Tesla over all the other owners, or he has somehow modified his Tesla while still claiming it was stock.

I've seen that video (<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOj54sRI65k>), and it's pretty cool, but he didn't get track-measured 0-60MPH times. I've not seen any drag time strip that shows a 0-60MPH time, just 0-60ft. His numbers appear to have come from the timing on the video until the speedo showed 60MPH. (Also, I think the best time he showed was right at 4.0s.) I've used PowerTools on my 85D to record 0-60 in about 4.0 (not sure if that would qualify as "with rollout" but it probably does). But since PT uses the car's own telemetry and only has 1/10th second accuracy at best, I don't think anybody considers it definitive. Certainly not compared to V-Box measurements.

I do agree that the ~3.8 to 3.9 number is not something other 85D owners seem to have been able to confirm. Maybe he was going down hill! :tongue:

I've seen that video (<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOj54sRI65k>), and it's pretty cool, but he didn't get track-measured 0-60MPH times. I've not seen any drag time strip that shows a 0-60MPH time, just 0-60ft. His numbers appear to have come from the timing on the video until the speedo showed 60MPH. (Also, I think the best time he showed was right at 4.0s.) I've used PowerTools on my 85D to record 0-60 in about 4.0 (not sure if that would qualify as "with rollout" but it probably does). But since PT uses the car's own telemetry and only has 1/10th second accuracy at best, I don't think anybody considers it definitive. Certainly not compared to V-Box measurements.
I do agree that the ~3.8 to 3.9 number is not something other 85D owners seem to have been able to confirm. Maybe he was going down hill! :tongue:

Yes, I think you are right, it is just a frame by frame, but he shows a listed 3.85 on the 3rd run for whatever that is worth.

I will test again as soon as I can, but I don't think 3.8 or 3.9 for the 85D is an anomaly. Not knowing what I was doing and launching without the "leg-kick" and with crappy all-season tires that triggered traction control (as was evident by the drop in G's from 10-30mph), I ran 4 different 0-60's in 4.0. Launching properly, I'm guessing it will be 3.9. With performance/summer tires, I would guess 3.8. And while my summer tires will be aftermarket, they will be very comparable in terms of grip/performance as the stock tires that come with the 21" wheels.

I believe all those drag strip times assume a roll-out. Correct?

Tesla confirms that it limits the power of performance vehicles after too many launches with ‘launch mode’ [Updated]

The response he received from a Tesla representative:

“Thank you for your time. To recap our conversation, using launch mode places an increased stress on the entire powertrain accelerating aging and fatigue of various components. The computer systems automatically track launch mode usage and continually estimate fatigue damage. Depending on how launch mode is used, the computer may eventually limit the available power during launch mode to protect the powertrain. Note that this is a common strategy also employed in other high performance cars. As discussed, upgrading to the P100D ludicrous will remove this limit and will not be limited in the future as the P100D does not have this limit for launch mode.”

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and sorka
Tesla confirms that it limits the power of performance vehicles after too many launches with ‘launch mode’ [Updated]

The response he received from a Tesla representative:

“Thank you for your time. To recap our conversation, using launch mode places an increased stress on the entire powertrain accelerating aging and fatigue of various components. The computer systems automatically track launch mode usage and continually estimate fatigue damage. Depending on how launch mode is used, the computer may eventually limit the available power during launch mode to protect the powertrain. Note that this is a common strategy also employed in other high performance cars. As discussed, upgrading to the P100D ludicrous will remove this limit and will not be limited in the future as the P100D does not have this limit for launch mode.”

Wow! Just WOW! is it true other car manufacturers limit top power after a certain number of launches? I've heard of limiting launch mode on a few cars in Europe but I've heard of none that actually limit power. so these power limited p90ds have slower 50-70 passing speeds than before?

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I have tested my S90D several times today and I keep getting 4.4 from a standstill. I know Tesla states 4.2 but is that only on a full battery maybe?

Tested how? Is your 4.4 number with the 1 ft rollout? If not, then subtract about 0.25 seconds to get your 0-60 time with the 1 foot rollout which is how how tesla specs it.

That said, you should still be able to get a 3.9 or so with a 1 foot rollout assuming your battery is warm and that you're at 80% or more SOC. If this was a PXXD, you'd need to be at least 90% SOC to see maximum performance.

Are you using Powertools to log the power? You should see around 375 KW if your getting maximum power.

Tested how? Is your 4.4 number with the 1 ft rollout? If not, then subtract about 0.25 seconds to get your 0-60 time with the 1 foot rollout which is how how tesla specs it.

That said, you should still be able to get a 3.9 or so with a 1 foot rollout assuming your battery is warm and that you're at 80% or more SOC. If this was a PXXD, you'd need to be at least 90% SOC to see maximum performance.

Are you using Powertools to log the power? You should see around 375 KW if your getting maximum power.

Battery was around 40%, I will do a full charge and try again. My Laser Jammer (AL Priority System) includes performance test functions as well (Its been tested and gives Vbox accuracy). Here is a clip from my cam.

Not a Tesla but an example showing the accuracy of the ALP to a Vbox.