Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue is with winding, 2-lane roads. My M3 hugs the center line and even crosses it on right-hand curves. This is extraordinarily dangerous and scares the crap out of oncoming traffic (not to mention me).
It's not just on 2 lane winding roads, but any right-hand curves. It seems that the "cornering calculations" should account for gravity and speed and keep the car in the center of the lane but this has not been my experience on AP or FSD. Not as noticeable on freeways but as the poster says quite cringeworthy on 2 lane roads, especially with oncoming traffic. Even worse when the oncoming traffic is doing the opposite and riding the yellow.

Subwoofer slider in audio settings. Does my 2018 M3 LR have a subwoofer because the slider doesn’t appear to do anything.

On my 2019 when I play the light show the windows roll down and then there is a thump that pretty unmistakably comes from a subwoofer, and then the music starts. So you could try the light show and see what you get. :)

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Reporting back on 10.8.

Turns have gotten MUCH better.

Braking is improving, sometimes does great with regen and sometimes does the typical stupid slam the brakes, let go, gradually slow down to stop.

Phantom braking is still present, less than before but very much still there.

Changing lanes in a multi lane intersection is still present.

Random changing of lanes on 3 lane roads with no other traffic around is still present.

Acceleration feels like it stepped up a bit, not bad, puts me back in a seat a bit more than before when it used to granny foot it.

Overall, definitely see an improvement heading in the right direction.

So I have a 2020 Model S and have been sitting on version 2021.36.5.1 ever since i enrolled in FSD beta. I have a 99 safety score. Should I just unenroll from beta to try to get some updates and later re-enroll?

So I have a 2020 Model S and have been sitting on version 2021.36.5.1 ever since i enrolled in FSD beta. I have a 99 safety score. Should I just unenroll from beta to try to get some updates and later re-enroll?
I wouldn't do that because there aren't that many 2020 Model S LR+ getting any update, beta or not Just enjoy your Tesla and be patient. This roll out is much faster than before. My Model Y is still on 2021.36.5.1 too.

Could not resist a short (15 mile) jaunt around the neighbourhood. Worked quite well, a little too far to the left where no median stripe, rather slow and jerky on left or right turns from a stop sign, one sudden slowdown, one failure to stay in lane on sharp right turn. I ended up turning down the +5mph setting to run at speed limit for comfort. Takes far more concentration on my part than if I was driving. Great for highway trips but only a toy on suburban or city roads. IMHO.
After safety score 98 for about six weeks, finally got 10.8 this morning. Did a couple short test drives. Not as good as I expected it to be but perhaps it will take some getting use to its idiosyncrasies. Still happy to have it after the too-long wait!

Reactions: S712458
I’ve taken 10.8 on a few drives yesterday and today and found it to be a big improvement over 10.5.1 here in New Jersey. Accelerstion and braking are smoother, better routine and overall less need to disengage.

I did notice that it’s developed a tendency to turn left across oncoming traffic when it should have waited. Once or twice it honestly seemed like it would have had a head-on without my disengagement. Anyone else seeing this? I don’t remember seeing this kind of issue in the previous releases. I suppose it could just be randomness and not a new thing, like maybe I just didn’t happen to see it happen before.

Reactions: Phlier and TheAjay
No judgement but I honestly don't understand why anyone would opt out at this point in time. Everyone that has FSD 10.8 has 100% of the feature set that the latest public build has, plus all the benefits (or drawbacks depending on your perspective, I suppose) of FSD.

So what do you get by opting out? Why don't you just turn off FSD and use it as if it is on just normal AP and keep getting FSD updates when they come. When the public branch actually gets ahead of FSD again I would understand the argument better and if there's a killer feature you want that you can't yet get with FSD then it makes more sense to me.

My dad has a M3LR and was stuck on 2021.36.8 until yesterday when he got 2021.44.6 and the holiday public build all on one day. So there's no guarantee that you will even be on the latest public build most or all of the time either.

Sorry wasn't wanting this to be long lol.

/rant
I had turned FSD beta off yesterday and it jammed on the brakes on a suburban 30 mph road fortunately with no traffic so it's borderline unsafe even with FSD off. One more chance. Then I'll go back to nice smooth AP/EAP/NOA and follow the forum till it's useable then opt back in. By then they may not penalize you for putting on the brakes.

I had turned FSD beta off yesterday and it jammed on the brakes on a suburban 30 mph road fortunately with no traffic so it's borderline unsafe even with FSD off. One more chance. Then I'll go back to nice smooth AP/EAP/NOA and follow the forum till it's useable then opt back in. By then they may not penalize you for putting on the brakes.
Do you need to actually opt out, or can you just toggle FSD off and use AP/EAP/NOA as usual?

I’ve taken 10.8 on a few drives yesterday and today and found it to be a big improvement over 10.5.1 here in New Jersey. Accelerstion and braking are smoother, better routine and overall less need to disengage.

I did notice that it’s developed a tendency to turn left across oncoming traffic when it should have waited. Once or twice it honestly seemed like it would have had a head-on without my disengagement. Anyone else seeing this? I don’t remember seeing this kind of issue in the previous releases. I suppose it could just be randomness and not a new thing, like maybe I just didn’t happen to see it happen before.
Yup. I’m seeing this as well. I was waiting behind another car at a red light and my car moved left towards incoming traffic (probably to pass the other car). This happened at the same location when the car was in 10.5.1 too.

My car downloaded the update via cellular. Later that day, it had a large additional download of about 500 MB over our WiFi network.
I also updated via cellular, and after installing I noticed on one of the menus it said something like games would be downloaded on WiFi. I was assuming that meant the new games weren't available yet, but I haven't checked.

Last edited:
Do you need to actually opt out, or can you just toggle FSD off and use AP/EAP/NOA as usual?
When you turn off the FSD toggle, it doesn't completely eliminate the driving bugs, witness the hard braking for absolutely no reason that hadn't happened since about two years ago with EAP/NOA. EAP/NOA enhance safety. I'm too old to exert the constant high stress monitoring FSD beta requires. There may be Tesla models and builds that are doing well but my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD is not. There are other experiences like mine posted here.

Reactions: ContrarianDC