Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10 days in WI/IL/MI - zero Teslas at any supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it is now 2017, and FWIW I've spent the last 10 days driving around and have repeatedly been at the following superchargers:

Wasau WI
Madison WI
Eau Claire WI
Oakdale MN
Pleasant Prairie IL
St Joseph MI
Grand Rapids MI

That's fourteen supercharger stops and zero Teslas. I feel like the Maytag repairman. Hopefully Model 3 will change the scene up here. It sure ain't Cali.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I drive IL to MI (and back again) very often and usually the St Joseph stop has one or two cars charging. It is a bottleneck if you look at the map of other chargers on a route to northern MI. So far no issue in finding a spot but on holiday weekends I am usually sharing a charger.

I did a Seattle-Toronto-Seattle round trip last October. Here are all the superchargers I visited on the return leg of the trip over a 4 day span (most of those were along the I-90).
SC Toronto-Seattle.jpg

Well it is now 2017, and FWIW I've spent the last 10 days driving around and have repeatedly been at the following superchargers:

Wasau WI
Madison WI
Eau Claire WI
Oakdale MN
Pleasant Prairie IL
St Joseph MI
Grand Rapids MI

That's fourteen supercharger stops and zero Teslas. I feel like the Maytag repairman. Hopefully Model 3 will change the scene up here. It sure ain't Cali.

I have never seen a full SpC in WI or IL, however I would describe my experience as averaging 25% full (i.e. 1-2 other cars).

This is not significantly different from our experience on the drive from Sacramento to Wisconsin - never full, typically 1-2 other cars.

Selfishly, I hope it stays this way :)

At one time the Minneapolis Tesla store was one of the busiest in the country (seems like they were 11th with 42/mo IIRC) based on deliveries / mo. Or course we're a bit different here. Mike over in Wisconsin hauls hay in his S, Henry down in Ortonville delivers the mail in his, and we have a sheep farmer who hauls a trailer to feed sheep and carry injured ones to the vet in his X. There's a nasty rumor that a guy in North Dakota modified his X to add an electric PTO.

Keep in mind that our women are strong, our men are good looking, and our children above average. :)

@whitex and @calisnow, that's similar to what I've experienced everywhere except on the coasts. And even on the coasts it's only a handful of chargers that ever seem to be full.

Madison only has 3 stalls so it doesn't take much to fill it up. Hopefully they'll expand it sometime soon.

BTW, if you get a chance please add comments on places nearby the chargers in Chargerville so others of us can benefit.

Last edited:
Reactions: calisnow and croman
We are headed to visit son at Michigan State University tomorrow. St. Joseph is a regular stop. We also regularly use the Madison SC when we visit our older son at UW-Madison. During nicer weather the St. Joseph often has 3-4 Tesla's charging. We have been at Madison with 3 as well. Worry about the Madison charger because think it only has 3 chargers.

Wasau WI
Madison WI
Eau Claire WI
Oakdale MN
Pleasant Prairie IL
St Joseph MI
Grand Rapids MI

Careful what you wish for.....

Reactions: ElectricTundra