Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% range on new Model Y LR with 3 miles on it calculates to 301 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol, I have had a S for 8 years (2016) and my wife's had her Y LR since Sept. I came here to cause my 4 day old '24 Y LR (with 80 miles) is showing 227 miles at 80% Calculated out that's only 272 miles at 100%. I guess I'll wait a bit and see what the next few charges produce for estimated range.

If existing owners are having questions like me no wonder new drivers are confused. My estimated miles are more like std range than lr.

Calculated out that's only 272 miles at 100%.
Dont calculate it. Charge it and see. That seems Low to me, but only if thats what it says at 100%, fully charged (not calculated) and allowed to balance the battery if it wants to when it hits 100%.

If existing owners are having questions like me no wonder new drivers are confused.
Especially if they have been on websites reading about "how to take care of the battery!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!??!" threads, and are convinced they need to:
==========================
Charge it only to 50% if its sitting, but if they are going to go run a few errands, then its ok to charge it up to no more than 62.485%..... unless its a full moon out or they are going eclipse watching after, in which case its ok to go as high as 72.48625% but NO HIGHER..... unless going on a trip, then they should charge to 80% before they leave and ensure they run it all the way down to 5.6256% before their first stop to ensure they get into the charging sweet spot, except......
========================

Lol.... its so easy to get spun up on all this.

It definitely seems to be fairly common at the very least. If the stated range was 300 miles, I would've still bought it.
It also seems to be somewhat battery dependent. My 2023 Model 3 RWD with the LFP battery was perfectly pegged to the rated 272 miles at 100% when new, every time, with no variation. It's started to degrade slightly since then but in a very linear fashion.

Reactions: WyoDude
Update: charged to 285 without about 15 minutes left before I decided to take my son out. I have 20 inch wheels on this car. I assume it takes that into account on the range? If so, I would have been real close to the 292 with 20 inch wheels.
It seems that all the newer 2024 Model Y's with 20 inch wheels are showing 283-285 full charge. I traded in my 2021 Model Y and I will say although the range in TeslaFi shows lower it's 100% on point. I've been driving for a little over 1500 miles and my drive efficiency is sitting at 99% for Miles used / Miles Rated. My first Model S was about 70% and my 2021 Model Y was about 80%. Like everyone else has posted just use the % at least now you can trust it.

Reactions: kaczmarczyk
I travel a lot for my daughter's soccer (out of state). I always see people say use the percentage vs miles but aren't you just converting that in your head anyway?
I mean if I have to travel to a hotel, then have games the next 15-20 miles away, back to the hotel, team dinner, then out somewhere, and eventually back to the hotel I find it easier to know approx how many miles I'm going to drive so I can plan when I have to charge again.

For everyday driving when you can plug in at home sure % works well. But for road trips over a few days, I want to know how many miles I have left so I can plan accordingly.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Dont calculate it. Charge it and see. That seems Low to me, but only if thats what it says at 100%, fully charged (not calculated) and allowed to balance the battery if it wants to when it hits 100%.

Especially if they have been on websites reading about "how to take care of the battery!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!??!" threads, and are convinced they need to:
==========================
Charge it only to 50% if its sitting, but if they are going to go run a few errands, then its ok to charge it up to no more than 62.485%..... unless its a full moon out or they are going eclipse watching after, in which case its ok to go as high as 72.48625% but NO HIGHER..... unless going on a trip, then they should charge to 80% before they leave and ensure they run it all the way down to 5.6256% before their first stop to ensure they get into the charging sweet spot, except......
========================

Lol.... its so easy to get spun up on all this.
I only charge during full moons and I’m expecting zero battery loss ever based on some articles I read…

I travel a lot for my daughter's soccer (out of state). I always see people say use the percentage vs miles but aren't you just converting that in your head anyway?
I mean if I have to travel to a hotel, then have games the next 15-20 miles away, back to the hotel, team dinner, then out somewhere, and eventually back to the hotel I find it easier to know approx how many miles I'm going to drive so I can plan when I have to charge again.

For everyday driving when you can plug in at home sure % works well. But for road trips over a few days, I want to know how many miles I have left so I can plan accordingly.

I see lots of people say "use percent instead of miles". Percent doesnt work for me, I use miles, and just convert it in my head.

One of the main reasons I use Miles is, 100% is 100%..... meaning if your car has 300 mils left at 100% or 250 miles left at 100%, if you use percent it will say 100%

For ME (I am not super big on telling anyone but my kids what to do, lol) using miles, but knowing they are not accurate and knowing in general how much I need to subtract etc, is the best thing. For others, some other process may be better.

Miles would be the more useful data point if it was accurate but it’s not. Percent is at least accurate. If I want to see how many miles I might still have in my pack, I check the energy app but it’s just an estimate based on previous driving conditions.

• Funny
I see lots of people say "use percent instead of miles". Percent doesnt work for me, I use miles, and just convert it in my head.

One of the main reasons I use Miles is, 100% is 100%..... meaning if your car has 300 mils left at 100% or 250 miles left at 100%, if you use percent it will say 100%

For ME (I am not super big on telling anyone but my kids what to do, lol) using miles, but knowing they are not accurate and knowing in general how much I need to subtract etc, is the best thing. For others, some other process may be better.
Yes, this has always confused me. How does using percentage help? Doesn't one end up having to convert that percentage to miles anyway?

Yes, this has always confused me. How does using percentage help? Doesn't one end up having to convert that percentage to miles anyway?
No because the mileage number displayed is inaccurate anyways so i find that it’s not very helpful.

If it says you have 100 miles left you realistically only have like 85-ish miles left. So if you think oh that’s perfect I can easily drive to this city 93 miles away and charge up there, you will be stranded with a dead car.

If you need to take a long trip you should always put it into the navigation even if it’s a familiar route.

For common trips, you quickly learn how much battery it usually takes and you can use that to estimate how much you can drive. For example it consistently takes me 11-13% battery to drive to work and back depending on weather. So I can look at the % and see oh it’s at 38% I can still make it to work and back like 2 days without charging if needed.

But if you’re charging at home or work daily, both the % or mileage display are pretty inconsequential anyways. It pretty much makes no difference what the numbers are because you have more than enough battery for the day that you’re not worried about it. It’s like in a gas car you recently filled up, you don’t really think about exactly much gas is left in the tank or what the distance to empty is until the low gas light turns on.

No because the mileage number displayed is inaccurate anyways so i find that it’s not very helpful.

If it says you have 100 miles left you realistically only have like 85-ish miles left. So if you think oh that’s perfect I can easily drive to this city 93 miles away and charge up there, you will be stranded with a dead car.
Those on-screen miles are rated miles of range, so I always mentally derate by some fudge factor + safety buffer. If i were trying to think about range in terms of percentage, I would still need to do that + convert to a battery percentage. Just seems like an extra unnecessary step.

If you need to take a long trip you should always put it into the navigation even if it’s a familiar route.
I do that, but depending on the trip, I may top the battery up a bit beforehand, which requires me to estimate things.

For common trips, you quickly learn how much battery it usually takes and you can use that to estimate how much you can drive. For example it consistently takes me 11-13% battery to drive to work and back depending on weather. So I can look at the % and see oh it’s at 38% I can still make it to work and back like 2 days without charging if needed.
You can do that with the rated miles displayed too. It's not really any different, except the amount of rated miles consumed should actually stay more constant than the percentage of a battery that is losing capacity over time. If I learn a trip averages 100 miles of rated range, that number should be roughly constant over time, whereas the percentage consumed will gradually change from something like 33 percent into 40 percent as the battery loses capacity.

I suppose it's possible that it's easier for some to remember numbers in the range from 0 to 100 since we're conditioned to do this with all of our battery related stuff.
But if you’re charging at home or work daily, both the % or mileage display are pretty inconsequential anyways. It pretty much makes no difference what the numbers are because you have more than enough battery for the day that you’re not worried about it. It’s like in a gas car you recently filled up, you don’t really think about exactly much gas is left in the tank or what the distance to empty is until the low gas light turns on.
Mostly true ... I had range anxiety when I first got the car, but have gotten comfortable with it and basically just leave the car at 50% for our regular weekend errands and top up more for long day trips. Not difficult at all.

I guess I’m just not doing any math at all usually. It’s like a gas gauge. I don’t look at a gas gauge in an ICE car and try to convert that to miles of range left. I look at it and go it’s not near empty yet, I’m fine. Like I said it’s inconsequential to me since I charge daily.

Reactions: ucmndd and mborkow
I guess I’m just not doing any math at all usually. It’s like a gas gauge. I don’t look at a gas gauge in an ICE car and try to convert that to miles of range left. I look at it and go it’s not near empty yet, I’m fine. Like I said it’s inconsequential to me since I charge daily.
exactly…I never looked at my gas gauge and converted it to miles.

Ah. Now I understand why people kept saying change it to % and don't have to worry about it. With all my ICE cars before, the first thing that I do after buying them was to change the dashboard display to Range Left to Go. I don't look at the Gauge, just Range left to go. If I change it to %, I will have to do my own calculation to see how many miles left. Because Range left to go is what I am used to seeing. Old habit is impossible to break.

Miles would be the more useful data point if it was accurate but it’s not. Percent is at least accurate. If I want to see how many miles I might still have in my pack, I check the energy app but it’s just an estimate based on previous driving conditions.
With this new 2024 Model Y they are pretty close to the same now. It's really hard to believe but with the Newer EPA and it having 284 with 20" wheels it's almost spot on. Both my other Tesla's in the past was like trying to do mental gymnastics to figure out mileage if you were getting close. Several years ago UMCNDD and I got into many a debate with others about how it's was damn near impossible to get the Rated Range of the older Model S. Only issue I'm having is why the website is still showing 294 with 20" when the car doesn't display it, they need to just update the website.