Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100d is coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course this all assumes that they are still placing the cells vertically. Since they reworked all the cooling why could they not have moved to a horizontal positioning? There was a lot of space in there. If you haven't seen Jason Hughes' tear down of the battery pack it's definitely something worth looking at. I don't think they did, but it is a possibility.

Upgraded my January X to P100D today after a call from regional sales manager confirming the P90D is being eliminated possibly as soon as Thursday based on an internal email. No insight to a non-luda P100D as orders remain very strong for 100 ludas and it will be the only luda option going forward for awhile. If a P100D non luda hits before my delivery, (does expect one eventually), I've got support for a change or delayed order but hopefully its soon like being referenced in earlier posts.

Also confirmed enough 100 batteries available to absorb P90 luda X & S elimination which has slowed down significantly (then maybe non luda 100 begins ), enhanced AP remains on a Dec approval track very similar to initial AP1 approval track with no concerns........but full self-driving is "way the hell out there somewhere". o_O Nonetheless, estimates of 60+% new orders include it despite being only a "fluffer-nutter" right now. lol

I've been directed well by this person before, so I am trusting again but <<disclaimer>> its only one employee's comments, nothing more. Oh, I busted my arm this week and AP is helping me remain comfortably mobile and sane. ........aaah the endless benefits of AP.

Upgraded my January X to P100D today after a call from regional sales manager confirming the P90D is being eliminated possibly as soon as Thursday based on an internal email. No insight to a non-luda P100D as orders remain very strong for 100 ludas and it will be the only luda option going forward for awhile. If a P100D non luda hits before my delivery, (does expect one eventually), I've got support for a change or delayed order but hopefully its soon like being referenced in earlier posts.

Also confirmed enough 100 batteries available to absorb P90 luda X & S elimination which has slowed down significantly (then maybe non luda 100 begins ), enhanced AP remains on a Dec approval track very similar to initial AP1 approval track with no concerns........but full self-driving is "way the hell out there somewhere". o_O Nonetheless, estimates of 60+% new orders include it despite being only a "fluffer-nutter" right now. lol

I've been directed well by this person before, so I am trusting again but <<disclaimer>> its only one employee's comments, nothing more. Oh, I busted my arm this week and AP is helping me remain comfortably mobile and sane. ........aaah the endless benefits of AP.
So you'll end up with a very new 90D and a brand spanking new P100DL with AP 2.0? I hate you! :)

Only supply reference was to the current order book for P100s scheduled for delivery thru Jan and the expected uptick in demand from the impending elimination of P90s. Still booking Dec and Jan 100's for delivery without any appearances of concern. When are you expecting delivery?

VIN confirmed 3 days ago and I want the car in Dec so that I can take the tax credit in 2016. My Tesla page is showing December - Early January.

I ordered also for the 2016 tax credit but really really want the 100d model x.... its gonna be a family car and we need all the range we can get, I'm not so keen on spending 125k and the following month a 100d comes out for 5k more with 50 extra miles of range.

What's your thoughts guys? Wait for an extra month or two for the 100 or buy now? Delivery is set for end of November-mid December. I am also on the fence about this late of a delivery because I'll have a 2016 vs a 2017 vehicle, wait 3-5 weeks and it's a 2017. Resale value alone after 2 years will likely be close to my federal tax credit. I think I've answered my own question but I'd like everyones feedback, I missed AP 1 by ~1-3 days . I have an oct 2014 p85 without AP so for the past two years I've been obsessing on getting the "latest" from tesla. I drive 50k a year so AP is a huge deal for me.

I ordered also for the 2016 tax credit but really really want the 100d model x.... its gonna be a family car and we need all the range we can get, I'm not so keen on spending 125k and the following month a 100d comes out for 5k more with 50 extra miles of range.

What's your thoughts guys? Wait for an extra month or two for the 100 or buy now? Delivery is set for end of November-mid December. I am also on the fence about this late of a delivery because I'll have a 2016 vs a 2017 vehicle, wait 3-5 weeks and it's a 2017. Resale value alone after 2 years will likely be close to my federal tax credit. I think I've answered my own question but I'd like everyones feedback, I missed AP 1 by ~1-3 days . I have an oct 2014 p85 without AP so for the past two years I've been obsessing on getting the "latest" from tesla. I drive 50k a year so AP is a huge deal for me.
Hate to keep repeating myself but - if you can wait, then wait. I don't see that you mention the need to have the car asap so I assume you don't. You can bet after spending 125k the following month a 100d comes out, probably not for 5k more but it will come out, for sure, soon. You also mention AP is a HUGE deal for you... so you should wait until AP2.0 is at AP1 parity, which is soonest in December and whether Tesla will meet that is up to anyone's guess.

My understanding is that Tesla would have to change the chassis or find some other way to fit the bigger battery under the floor.

The 21700 cells will have a higher energy density per cell, so they need fewer of them to make up the same capacity. The batteries in the current modules are vertical. If you turn a 21700 cell on its side you can stack three of them in the same vertical space as the 18650 with enough room to get the aluminum heat sink elements between each cell.

The length of the 21700 (70mm) is 3.89 times the width of an 18650 cell (18mm), but there needs to be room for the joining connections between the cells, so make the length the size of 4 18650s vertically. In the space that 4X 18650s took up, you now only have 3X 21700s.

The volume of the 21700 cell is 46% more than the 18650. If the energy density increased by that much, that would be an increase of 38% energy in the same volume, module to module. If the increase was 33% in energy density per cell, that would be the same energy density module to module.

It's very doable with the existing pack dimensions.

I'd definitely wait. You know it's coming it's just a matter of time (Jan/Feb). You'll still get the tax credit and you'll have a 2017 with the options you want.

Reactions: NikeWings
Isn't the current P90D non-L? Assuming the Ludicrous upgrade is $10K, the 90 to 100 upgrade could be $10K.

If they continue that to the 100D, that could push the 100Ds with full AP 2.0 to be a $15,500 price increase over what Tesla was charging for 90D with AP 1.0 several months ago. That's a pretty significant price increase...

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus

Very interesting info! Looks like they are slowly phasing out the P90Ds (as also evidenced by the large stock of inventory P90D model X's).

EM mentioned on the Q3 earnings call that ramping up the 100 kWh battery was one of his top priorities. He specifically said he was going straight to the production line after the call to check on things.

Hi all,
-New Ventilated seats for all cars.
-Upgraded-faster main console units
-Improved the hands off detection
2 more, but not in near future:
-New suspension option(with 8 years warranty). Active pothole detection maybe?
-Auto-presenting doors for Model S..

I'd be irritated if they introduced the ventilated seats before my delivery but after the final change window. I would have opted for ventilated seating if it were an option on the smaller battery Model S.

Wasn't the upgraded MCU a part of the APE (Autopilot Enhanced) announcement? They needed to upgrade the processor to accomplish the new AP features.

New suspension, wonder what that means? I'm not a fan of air suspension, repairs can be very costly but 8 year warranty would negate that.

Auto-presenting doors would be nice, I could see that as a software feature they enable in the future. It's easily accomplished by leveraging Bluetooth.

All seems like great additions if they come to fruition.