Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...To be honest, I was surprised when Tesla extended the unlimited supercharging past 31 December and thought it was pretty generous of the company to extend it because people weren't able to get their orders in...

A quick side-note, I think the reason for extending the unlimited supercharging was more pragmatic - Tesla just was not ready with their price model, period. They couldn't say: "no more unlimited, but we dont know yet what we're going to charge for limited", hence they've graciously extended the deadline just to dot their i's and cross their t's.

Do not upgrade to the 100D and second-guess your original decision unless money is disposable for you. All of the Model S will tank in value when M3 is available. The 100D will tank the hardest I'm guessing. If you are OK with the 60D performance, stick with that. The 60D was too slow for me since I have only driven high performance cars my entire adult life. I tried really hard to like the 60D but just a bit too slow. You'll probably have to charge the 60D every night but it's a small inconvenience to save $20k.

With that $20k you are halfway to a second Tesla in your garage, a Model 3.

As I asked in a different thread,

I have 2 X 90Ds on order

My questions are:

1. Are these 90Ds actually 100D packs?

2. Can I upgrade to 100D now and not lose free Supercharging?

3. Can I upgrade to 100D later and continue to supercharge for free for life?

Hope there is a blog post about this
there is no way 90D has the 100D battery pack. Very different battery hardware architecture. Unless Tesla comes up with a software limited 90D (that actually has the 100D battery) to kind of smooth the transition, but I doubt it is the case.

there is no way 90D has the 100D battery pack. Very different battery hardware architecture. Unless Tesla comes up with a software limited 90D (that actually has the 100D battery) to kind of smooth the transition, but I doubt it is the case.

The reason for me thinking this is that the 0-60 time and top speed are both exactly the same. Also, it would make sense to have a 75 and a 100 pack, and software limit to 60 and 90. That being said I have been advised (like everyone else) that I cannot upgrade to a 100D without losing free supercharging and the vented seats.

So I've decided to keep both my 90D orders.

I guess you didn't really want a Tesla if that causes you to cancel your order.

Anyway, if you really plan to do a few hundred dollars a year worth of free supercharging, it probably is best for Tesla that you cancel your order. Multiply that by tens of thousands of cars and it's not nickles and dimes.

You make a fair point. I guess more than anything I felt like I rushed into a Tesla a bit to get the free super charging, and knew I wanted as much range as possible within reason. I seriously doubt there were tens of thousands of people who ordered a 90D within this very small period, and even fewer of those want to jump to the 100D. But your point is overall fair, and I am probably being unreasonable.

Actually no, this has nothing to do with global warming or climate control (your words). It has to do with running a business. To be honest, I was surprised when Tesla extended the unlimited supercharging past 31 December and thought it was pretty generous of the company to extend it because people weren't able to get their orders in. Tesla clearly felt the need to make a change in policy and applied it.

Like you, I contacted my OA today about changing from a 90D to a 100D. He clearly articulated what I would get, what I would lose and what it would cost me (exact same as what's been reported in this thread). At the end of the day I signed a contract for a custom built car to my specifications. The fact Tesla has changed options and offerings after I signed that contract in NO way obligates them to change that contract. What they are willing to do is let me cancel that contract and write a NEW contract under current conditions without losing my deposit. That is more than fair.

The problem with making exceptions to what contracts say is that then you have a question about where the line is drawn and someone will always be unhappy. By drawing a clear line and applying it consistently, Tesla is being far more honorable and customer-centric than many other companies in the automotive industry....

At the end of the day I (and other owners) are faced with a choice -- keep what I have already ordered (and was happy with 24 hours ago) or cancel that order, apply my deposit to a new order and order under the current rule-set/price book. As someone else posted, it is a question of "is the 100 battery and an additional ~40miles of range worth the loss of free supercharging and roughly $3500 and the loss of the exact interior I had previously ordered?" For some the answer is yes, for some the answer is no but both answers are OK depending on individual circumstances.

All very fair points, I am willing to admit when I am wrong.

Reactions: NikeWings
If you ordered a 90D and wanted to change to a 100D within your 7 days, they should have taken the extra $3k and honored the free super charging on principle. If Elon was so worried about global warming and climate control, he would not be nickel and dime'ing us over a few hundred per year. Pretty sure I am cancelling my $100k order over this.

After reflecting and reading others comments, I regret my Elon global warming statement. I still may end up cancelling for the short term just becasue of no sense of urgency without super charging and the fact that something else may come in the next few weeks, but I was out of line with the Elon statement.

They could use the same architecture but with blanks as they did with the original 60

For anybody out there thinking about going with 90D over 100D, consider massive improvements in battery pack architecture in 100D over 90D. These include upgraded cooling (bottom heat pipes vs. cooling ducts between rows of battery cells in 90D) and upgraded interconnections of individual cells (flexible printed circuit vs. individual bond wires for 90D).

The 100D pack architecture is inherently more reliable. The standout functional feature is faster supercharging (tapering of the supercharging rate at a higher state of charge of the battery pack as compared to 90D).

See this post for more technical details of the new battery pack architecture.

BTW, based on the above referenced post detailing new battery architecture for 100D, it is almost certain that 100D is capable of 0 to 60 time that is lower than 90D. First, it is lower due to proportionate increase of the power output of 100D over 90D at the same rate of discharge. Second, and this increase is on top of the first one, this architecture allows to lower overall battery pack resistance which reduces losses and voltage sag at the maximum battery output current.

The question, though if and when Tesla might decide to "release" improved performance capability via OTA. It will unlikely to happen before they are able to ramp-up 100D production capacity and all 90D they are planning to produce are sold out. After that time, Tesla might choose to unlock additional performance via OTA. So in summary, 100D is most definitely capable of higher power output, but at this time is not clear when Tesla will choose to unlock it.

The 100D pack architecture is inherently more reliable. The standout functional feature is faster supercharging (tapering of the supercharging rate at a higher state of charge of the battery pack as compared to 90D).

I recall your initial post on the archetecture; its very well explained along with great commentary in your thread, as well as the P100 charging thread.

Any insight to whether these packs in their current state as shipped, are equipped to handle the next level of SC intensity or would that require additional enhancement that currently shipped 100s don't have? I understand that faster charging/tapering interplay with current superchargers, but unclear on the next gen SCs. TY

I recall your initial post on the archetecture; its very well explained along with great commentary in your thread, as well as the P100 charging thread.

Any insight to whether these packs in their current state as shipped, are equipped to handle the next level of SC intensity or would that require additional enhancement that currently shipped 100s don't have? I understand that faster charging/tapering interplay with current superchargers, but unclear on the next gen SCs. TY

I am not sure, but I think that it is plausible that new 100D packs can accept higher maximum Supercharging rate (on top of tapering off at higher state of charge). The lower losses within pack (due to reduced internal resistance) and better cooling should help with this.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
Wow I didn't know they are removing supercharging capability on some cars. That sucks. Without supercharging all you have is an expensive city car.

Good decision.

To clarify, Tesla is NOT removing supercharging capability. It is just that there is no free UNLIMITED supercharging going forward. There are 400kWh annually included at no charge, and there is nominal charge after that. MS/MX is NOT a city car. One can go on any long distance trip. In fact, with introduction of 100D long trip experience is improved due to faster supercharging.

I just received an email from my DS regarding my request to upgrade my confirmed order to the 100D battery. I pasted the relevant policy below:

· Lose unlimited free Supercharging

· Lose perforated/ventilated seats (if ordered with the Premium Upgrades Package)

· Be subject to option bundles and associated price changes

· Be subject to new production and delivery timing

I did also speak to my DS. He indicated that these policies may change, as they are getting quite a bit of push back on the supercharging issue.

Word for word the email I got yesterday. . .they must have a canned response. As my interior build is no longer available, I'm sticking with ventilated seats and tan / figured ash / black headliner. . . 90D

Would have been a tougher call about ventilated seats if I could still get my interior combo. Good luck.

Reactions: ABC2D
Tweet Elon with these requests!
I'm not too happy about losing the supercharging to upgrade. I'm waiting on a call back from my DS.
I was expecting them to follow the same trend of allowing a customer to spending more money without losing features / benefits or their place in line.

They are clearly simplifying the production line...will ultimately enable them to more efficiently build cars with better QA. I went through this all day yesterday, there won't be any exceptions made. Standard form response appears to have been crafted for those of us with confirmed orders but preproduction (or in production).

Rumor has it they have to build a few cars over the next couple years :)