Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anybody out there thinking about going with 90D over 100D, consider massive improvements in battery pack architecture in 100D over 90D. These include upgraded cooling (bottom heat pipes vs. cooling ducts between rows of battery cells in 90D) and upgraded interconnections of individual cells (flexible printed circuit vs. individual bond wires for 90D).

The 100D pack architecture is inherently more reliable. The standout functional feature is faster supercharging (tapering of the supercharging rate at a higher state of charge of the battery pack as compared to 90D).

See this post for more technical details of the new battery pack architecture.

Good to know, but I want the ventilated seats and my interior which is no longer available. So I'll lease the S90D and in 3 years make another informed decision about lease vs. buy on the S 140D :)

Wow I didn't know they are removing supercharging capability on some cars. That sucks. Without supercharging all you have is an expensive city car.
Please review what has been posted, as your statement is incorrect.

Every Model S/X that Tesla has sold (with the exception of maybe a few very early production Model S40, I'm not sure about that) and is selling now can Supercharge, they have the necessary hardware included. In the early years it was a software-enabled option for some models and was standard in the more expensive versions.

As of Jan 15, 2017 every Tesla built can still Supercharge but there is no longer "unlimited" free Supercharging. There is 400kWh of free Supercharging per year. Beyond that level there is a charge per kWh. The charge varies regionally. In California it is $0.20/kWh.

See Supercharging

Last edited:
I ended up cancelling my 100D today. I respect Teslas right to do what they did, but as a consumer I have to do what I feel is best for me.

The way I see it, they say here is free super charging but you have to do it by the 15th. Great, rush to order. Then you find out if you order the 90D, by the time you take delivery it will be worth 3k less. Or, you can spend the extra 3k now, but give up on the super charging for free.

I personally think the right thing to do was to still offer the super charging for those who ordered by the 15th and let them change to the 100D, but I respect their choice.

My bet is within a few months they will offer a software reduced 85 much like the 60/75. If they did this now, IMO it would have been worth giving up the super charging right now. But for now, I'm holding off. My DS is a great guy and was very understanding when we spoke today and I cancelled.

Enjoy steering your Audi for hours and hours while you admire your custom interior. I'll take fewer color choices and the world's best lane keeping in my "premium" car. I have a Bentley GT. Guess how often it gets driven since my 70D showed up? That's right - almost never. When I get around to it the dear thing is going up for sale. Despite all that yummy smelling leather and primo interior the *real* luxury is silent drive and my Tesla doing the steering while I relax through long So Cal drives. Awwww baby didn't get to spec the right wood with his favorite headliner. Someone call the wambulence.
I've heard this utterly unconvincing argument repeatedly. Why does it have to be either-or? Nothing about the presence of a cool electric drive train, or awesome AP, in any way precludes greater choice of interior styling.

The way I see it, they say here is free super charging but you have to do it by the 15th. Great, rush to order. Then you find out if you order the 90D, by the time you take delivery it will be worth 3k less. Or, you can spend the extra 3k now, but give up on the super charging for free.
After Jan 15 2017 there is still "free" Supercharging (400kWh/year is free, that is about 1,000 miles of free travel). There is not "unlimited free" Supercharging.

It is simply factually incorrect to say that there is no longer "free" Supercharging. Every Tesla now being sold has free Supercharging, but it is not unlimited. That is an important distinction. Words matter. Context matters.

I certainly respect your decision to cancel your order. I am not criticizing you for that. But let's get the facts right. You are welcome to your own opinion, but base your opinion on the facts that are known and verifiable.

Reactions: bhzmark
To clarify, Tesla is NOT removing supercharging capability. It is just that there is no free UNLIMITED supercharging going forward. There are 400kWh annually included at no charge, and there is nominal charge after that. MS/MX is NOT a city car. One can go on any long distance trip. In fact, with introduction of 100D long trip experience is improved due to faster supercharging.
He was being sarcastic.

I've heard this utterly unconvincing argument repeatedly. Why does it have to be either-or? Nothing about the presence of a cool electric drive train, or awesome AP, in any way precludes greater choice of interior styling.

The greater and superior interior styling is on the way. My bet is that they will use it to differentiate the S and X from the 3. Gotta give those six figure cars something different.

Because the Model 3 is going to be so kick ass! I have a classic 2013 Model S85. The Model 3 in comparison will have AWD, AP 2.0 and a faster acceleration! I am going to option it up, probably have a longer range, and I will still pay HALF what I paid for my wonderful S85, which is STILL one of the finest cars on the road, surpassed only by ....you guessed it! Newer Teslas!

If these legacy carmakers aren't crapping their pants right now it's cause their heads are still in the sand. Battery factory anyone?

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV and Sully's8

Because in real life engineering and design resources are limited, and therefore there need to be priorities with regards of what their focus shoul be in any given time.

There is no right or wrong way to prioritize, as different people might have different priorities. While I might find it preposterous to priorize maximizing interior choices over drivetrain, battery, software or AP, others might feel differently.

Tesla will have better interior quality and options for MS/MX in time. Until that time individual consumers will have to make a decision: if coach work trumps everything else for them, perhaps MB or Audi is a better choice for them. There is really no need to wage a war over this.

I ended up cancelling my 100D today. I respect Teslas right to do what they did, but as a consumer I have to do what I feel is best for me.

I personally think the right thing to do was to still offer the super charging for those who ordered by the 15th and let them change to the 100D, but I respect their choice.

My bet is within a few months they will offer a software reduced 85 much like the 60/75. If they did this now, IMO it would have been worth giving up the super charging right now. But for now, I'm holding off. My DS is a great guy and was very understanding when we spoke today and I cancelled.
Well, if you feel that this was the best decision for you - good choice.

I, though, find it strange cancelling an order because of choice between unlimited supercharging and 100D.

If you drive over 20K miles per year or planned to use this vehicle for deliveries or taxi - ok, that's understandable - but for personal use? No. We are talking about a vehicle that cost over $100K - do we really not have $120 in supercharging cost for a cross country trip? That's LESS THAN ONE GOOD DINNER!!! I dont think I would be buying a car that expensive if I couldn't afford $120 dinner.

Cancelling and waiting for something better to come, is another matter, but the waiting game could be played for ever. Unless one knows with good certainty of something, just waiting hoping for better tech/config/colors/etc is a tough game. The current state of affair for Tesla is pretty good, in my opinion: AP2, pretty sizable battery (almost at the top of energy density), maturity of assembly and quality. I think it's a good time to order.

Reactions: ohmman
If you ordered a 90D and wanted to change to a 100D within your 7 days, they should have taken the extra $3k and honored the free super charging on principle. If Elon was so worried about global warming and climate control, he would not be nickel and dime'ing us over a few hundred per year. Pretty sure I am cancelling my $100k order over this.
... nose ... spite ... face

Reactions: EinSV
After Jan 15 2017 there is still "free" Supercharging (400kWh/year is free, that is about 1,000 miles of free travel). There is not "unlimited free" Supercharging.

It is simply factually incorrect to say that there is no longer "free" Supercharging. Every Tesla now being sold has free Supercharging, but it is not unlimited. That is an important distinction. Words matter. Context matters.

I certainly respect your decision to cancel your order. I am not criticizing you for that. But let's get the facts right. You are welcome to your own opinion, but base your opinion on the facts that are known and verifiable.

I assumed that everyone understands what I meant, if not my apology.

Well, if you feel that this was the best decision for you - good choice.

I, though, find it strange cancelling an order because of choice between unlimited supercharging and 100D.

If you drive over 20K miles per year or planned to use this vehicle for deliveries or taxi - ok, that's understandable - but for personal use? No. We are talking about a vehicle that cost over $100K - do we really not have $120 in supercharging cost for a cross country trip? That's LESS THAN ONE GOOD DINNER!!! I dont think I would be buying a car that expensive if I couldn't afford $120 dinner.

Cancelling and waiting for something better to come, is another matter, but the waiting game could be played for ever. Unless one knows with good certainty of something, just waiting hoping for better tech/config/colors/etc is a tough game. The current state of affair for Tesla is pretty good, in my opinion: AP2, pretty sizable battery (almost at the top of energy density), maturity of assembly and quality. I think it's a good time to order.

To me its not the cost of the free super charging for my use at all. Its a combination of resale value and principle for me.

I think with the somewhat imminent release of the M3, along with many other PEV vehicles being realistic in the next 5 years, some luxury, there is a very good chance resale values will fall hard compared to where they have been for MS. For some that does not matter, but for me it's a part of my buying decisions.

I may hold out for a fully loaded M3, or end up buying an MS. I just won't rush to order now like I would have if the free lifetime super charging was included, like I originally did with the 90D.

BTW, based on the above referenced post detailing new battery architecture for 100D, it is almost certain that 100D is capable of 0 to 60 time that is lower than 90D. First, it is lower due to proportionate increase of the power output of 100D over 90D at the same rate of discharge. Second, and this increase is on top of the first one, this architecture allows to lower overall battery pack resistance which reduces losses and voltage sag at the maximum battery output current.

Of course the battery in the 100D is capable of more, but are the motors in the 100D capable of more? I would think if they were Tesla would have unlocked at least a little of it, and then charged more than $3k for the upgrade from 90D to 100D. (It would essentially be free money for them.) They are already undercharging for the 100D upgrade in the US, and it is very possible that they will raise the price to be closer to what is being charged in the other countries soon. Look they charge $7k for the 10kWh upgrade from the 60 to the 75, why only charge $3k for the 15kWh upgrade from the 90 to the 100? (I know you are going to say I got the kWh numbers backwards, but I don't. From what we have seen that is the actual difference in the packs vs. the advertised difference.)

• Disagree
Reactions: vgrinshpun
Please review what has been posted, as your statement is incorrect.

Every Model S/X that Tesla has sold (with the exception of maybe a few very early production Model S40, I'm not sure about that) and is selling now can Supercharge, they have the necessary hardware included. In the early years it was a software-enabled option for some models and was standard in the more expensive versions.

As of Jan 15, 2017 every Tesla built can still Supercharge but there is no longer "unlimited" free Supercharging. There is 400kWh of free Supercharging per year. Beyond that level there is a charge per kWh. The charge varies regionally. In California it is $0.20/kWh.

See Supercharging

Sorry I was being sarcastic. To give so much of importance to a a benefit that is worth less than $100/year on a $100k purchase so as to get so upset to cancel the order? Defies logic.

Free supercharging is so overrated