Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have drawn a clear line between the 90D with free supercharging for life, and the 100D without it. If they hadn't, there would have been many unhappy customers, jealous of the lucky few who got both.

I would also expect any leftover 90 kWh stock sold as inventory or demo in Q1 to have unlimited SpC as a demand lever. That and ventilated seats perhaps making easier to move these older model cars...

Just specilating of course, but would make sense.

I just changed my order to a X100D. My vehicle is not on the production line and my DS said you need at least 3 week window before it even enters production for Tesla to allow a change in configuration. The savings I get from my insurance costs will more than pay for any supercharging fees.

My insurance cost for a P100D would have been almost $6K/yr vs a 100D of $3K/yr...and if the Liberal party gov't in BC allows ICBC (our provincial insurance carrier) to pass legislation to stop providing basic insurance, the P100D annual insurance will be greater than $10K/yr plus deductibles of over $2K/claim.

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/optional/Documents/vehicle-list.pdf

List of premium luxury vehicles targeted by ICBC.

I also added the tow package and UHFS to my 100D since I'll have lower payments compared to the P100D.

Official email reply from DS in case anyone was interested:

There are a few things that go into changing your order to a 100D. The change to the new battery would also put you on the new price book, as seen on the website. This includes:

• Any difference in battery/trim cost for the 100D upgrade ($3,000).
  • Lose unlimited free Supercharging
  • If you were under the impression that ventilated seats were included, these would no longer be on the vehicle.
  • A $500 change fee will apply but we can make any number of changes under the one fee.
  • Changes cannot be made beyond Feb. 7th.

I just changed my order to a X100D. My vehicle is not on the production line and my DS said you need at least 3 week window before it even enters production for Tesla to allow a change in configuration. The savings I get from my insurance costs will more than pay for any supercharging fees.

My insurance cost for a P100D would have been almost $6K/yr vs a 100D of $3K/yr...and if the Liberal party gov't in BC allows ICBC (our provincial insurance carrier) to pass legislation to stop providing basic insurance, the P100D annual insurance will be greater than $10K/yr plus deductibles of over $2K/claim.

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/optional/Documents/vehicle-list.pdf

List of premium luxury vehicles targeted by ICBC.

I also added the tow package and UHFS to my 100D since I'll have lower payments compared to the P100D.
Holy smokes!! My decision was made easier because I had a 90D on order and to "upgrade" to the 100D would have cost me well over $10k because I bought before the prices went up 3% in Dec and the upgrade cost is about $7k CDN (not sure how Tesla does their currency conversions??). It ended up being very prohibitive to change and the extra 60km of range isn't important to me. Changed color to white as per wife's request and locked it in before production!

10 kWh = 40 mile extension? Why isn't the 90 offering 330-340 miles to start with? Is the 40 miles speculative or some other factor really allowing a "true 40"? I suspect that the 100 is more than 100 in cell capacity. Supercharging page says 400kWh of charging is about 1000 miles (2.5mi per kWh), so I assume that is input power to charge and not based on charged battery capacity.
It is 15KWh usable. See my other post here. So it is a real bargain IMO.

60kWh->75kWh = 15kWh added capacity
Actual Model 60D->75D per WK057 data: 62kWh -> 72kWh = 10kWh added capacity
Range added: 41 miles

90D->100D = 10 kWh added capacity and 41 miles added range

Thus, the good news is 100D is a REAL +10kWh. for $3k

And the 75 is confirmed as the worst deal in history for +10 kWh for $9k...now $7k...

Well you should know the 90KWh is actually an 86KwH battery with 81-83KWh usable. So going to the 100KWh you actually have 100KWh but only 96KWh usable. So 81KWh to 86KWh is 15KWh. This is why you can have 41 extra miles in a heavier car compared to the 75KWh version.

Official email reply from DS in case anyone was interested:

There are a few things that go into changing your order to a 100D. The change to the new battery would also put you on the new price book, as seen on the website. This includes:

• Any difference in battery/trim cost for the 100D upgrade ($3,000).
  • Lose unlimited free Supercharging
  • If you were under the impression that ventilated seats were included, these would no longer be on the vehicle.
  • A $500 change fee will apply but we can make any number of changes under the one fee.
  • Changes cannot be made beyond Feb. 7th.

Thanks!

Some members are considering downgrading from P100DL to 100D but are worried about the loss of unlimited Supercharging. The premium for X100D-XP100DL is about $37k (which of course includes other options). The premium for S100D-SP100DL is $42k with the same caveats. Please correct me if I've made an error - the configurator likes to check options if you move back and forth. However, I think this is correct.

If so, what does unlimited Supercharging mean in that context, if the performance bump is unimportant to a buyer?

Taking the highest current kWh charge (Maine, at $0.21) and using that as the baseline metric, how many miles would someone have to Supercharge over the life of their car to equate those premiums*?

Model X: 496k miles
Model S: 632k miles

*Assumptions: No adjustment for the 400kWh of free annual charging. Model X100D at 320Wh/mi (same as X90D), Model S100D at 285Wh/mi (S90D). That's probably slightly off, but it's the best we have. I attribute those numbers to @wk057, who I welcome to critique my analysis. Additionally, I assume a 90% efficiency "at the pump" meaning that Tesla charges for delivered energy, and I'm assuming usable energy. I realize these rated miles may be difficult, but they have been proven to be possible, so I'm using those. Adjust as you see fit. Finally, I chose the highest current cost to adjust for increased prices in the US over the life of the car.

Last edited:
Some members are considering downgrading from P100DL to 100D but are worried about the loss of unlimited Supercharging. The premium for X90D-X100DL is about $37k (which of course includes other options). The premium for S90D-S90DL is $42k with the same caveats. Please correct me if I've made an error - the configurator likes to check options if you move back and forth. However, I think this is correct.

If so, what does unlimited Supercharging mean in that context, if the performance bump is unimportant to a buyer?

Taking the highest current kWh charge (Maine, at $0.21) and using that as the baseline metric, how many miles would someone have to Supercharge over the life of their car to equate those premiums*?

Model X: 496k miles
Model S: 632k miles

*Assumptions: No adjustment for the 400kWh of free annual charging. Model X100D at 320Wh/mi (same as X90D), Model S100D at 285Wh/mi (S90D). That's probably slightly off, but it's the best we have. I attribute those numbers to @wk057, who I welcome to critique my analysis. Additionally, I assume a 90% efficiency "at the pump" meaning that Tesla charges for delivered energy, and I'm assuming usable energy. I realize these rated miles may be difficult, but they have been proven to be possible, so I'm using those. Adjust as you see fit. Finally, I chose the highest current cost to adjust for increased prices in the US over the life of the car.

Impressive footnote, but you may want to mind your Ps and Qs, especially the Ps. Those batteries look awfully expensive.;)

Reactions: ohmman
If you ordered a 90D and wanted to change to a 100D within your 7 days, they should have taken the extra $3k and honored the free super charging on principle. If Elon was so worried about global warming and climate control, he would not be nickel and dime'ing us over a few hundred per year. Pretty sure I am cancelling my $100k order over this.

If you ordered a 90D and wanted to change to a 100D within your 7 days, they should have taken the extra $3k and honored the free super charging on principle. If Elon was so worried about global warming and climate control, he would not be nickel and dime'ing us over a few hundred per year. Pretty sure I am cancelling my $100k order over this.
I guess you didn't really want a Tesla if that causes you to cancel your order.

Anyway, if you really plan to do a few hundred dollars a year worth of free supercharging, it probably is best for Tesla that you cancel your order. Multiply that by tens of thousands of cars and it's not nickles and dimes.

Actually no, this has nothing to do with global warming or climate control (your words). It has to do with running a business. To be honest, I was surprised when Tesla extended the unlimited supercharging past 31 December and thought it was pretty generous of the company to extend it because people weren't able to get their orders in. Tesla clearly felt the need to make a change in policy and applied it.

Like you, I contacted my OA today about changing from a 90D to a 100D. He clearly articulated what I would get, what I would lose and what it would cost me (exact same as what's been reported in this thread). At the end of the day I signed a contract for a custom built car to my specifications. The fact Tesla has changed options and offerings after I signed that contract in NO way obligates them to change that contract. What they are willing to do is let me cancel that contract and write a NEW contract under current conditions without losing my deposit. That is more than fair.

The problem with making exceptions to what contracts say is that then you have a question about where the line is drawn and someone will always be unhappy. By drawing a clear line and applying it consistently, Tesla is being far more honorable and customer-centric than many other companies in the automotive industry....

At the end of the day I (and other owners) are faced with a choice -- keep what I have already ordered (and was happy with 24 hours ago) or cancel that order, apply my deposit to a new order and order under the current rule-set/price book. As someone else posted, it is a question of "is the 100 battery and an additional ~40miles of range worth the loss of free supercharging and roughly $3500 and the loss of the exact interior I had previously ordered?" For some the answer is yes, for some the answer is no but both answers are OK depending on individual circumstances.

After thinking the cost of upgrading from 60D to 100D, with the loss of supercharger: I don't think it'll affect me at all. I think I am going to be traveling more if I upgrade from 60D to 100D. At 200 miles at 100% charge on 60D, I would be cutting it close to superchargers and have a lot of range anxiety doing any road trips on eastern coast.

I live in Jersey and the traffic can be pretty terrible on I-95. Especially in places where traffic is an issue. But with the 100D, I have the flexibility of knowing that I can make longer road trips to jersey shore and back and have less range anxiety. the difference of 18,000 to upgrade from 60D to 100D is really 20,000 because the accessory hitch option on model x is no longer there plus the change fee.