Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D not available to update order that has free supercharger option per Tesla rep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I am happy for all of you guys that are getting free super charging but this was supposed to end on 12/31 so its a bit disappointing for many people that bought 90D's by the end of the year and then 2 weeks later they offer the 100D at only $3k more. Tesla is doing a good job at pressuring people into placing orders but at the same time pissing them off because their cars are becoming outdated so soon. I would bet within a month there will no longer even be a 90D on the website.
Typical Tesla ownership. Get a P90D and few weeks later P100D comes out. Got the P100D AP1 then AP2 comes out a week after. It's no different than the guys ordering 90D and the 100D comes a week after.

My advise is for anyone who can switch to the 100D from the 90D for 3 to 3.5k and lose super charging should just do it. Here is the math:

1) 400 kWh free per year,
2) 400 kWh = about 1000 miles
3) 1 kWh will cost about $0.20
4) 1000 miles would cost about $80
5) 3000 miles a year would cost about $160
6 )10 years of using 3000 super charging would cost about $1.6k
7) cost of upgrading to 100D from 90D is about 5k still a good deal for a heavy super charger user

I understand that the free super charging is nice, but really 1.6k is not much in the scheme of things. BTW I lost $5k deposit when I changed from a 7 seat configuration to 6 seat configuration because I ordered before there were any Model X to test drive, and I missed out on AP2 by less than a month, and do not have the option for a 100D obviously. Count yourself lucky. I would trade my free super charging for a $3.5k upcharge and 100D upgrade in a heartbeat.

Anyone know if Tesla has ever unlocked greater kWh in an existing vehicle, after delivery? Seems I recall that habing occurred.

I, for one can't see the reason Tesla would rile those who played the Jan 15 window to get the option for just the reason relating to upgrades, implicit in the production at no cost and at cost (100D). Allowing the uprade and maintaining Supercharger free driving wouldn't impact Tesla negatively at all, in the volume we see.

Thank you very much

FURY

My advise is for anyone who can switch to the 100D from the 90D for 3 to 3.5k and lose super charging should just do it. Here is the math:

7) cost of upgrading to 100D from 90D is about 5k still a good deal for a heavy super charger user

I understand that the free super charging is nice, but really 1.6k is not much in the scheme of things. BTW I lost $5k deposit when I changed from a 7 seat configuration to 6 seat configuration because I ordered before there were any Model X to test drive, and I missed out on AP2 by less than a month, and do not have the option for a 100D obviously. Count yourself lucky. I would trade my free super charging for a $3.5k upcharge and 100D upgrade in a heartbeat.
Well, you've convinced one person at least. And your argument goes even more so for me, Florida is only 13¢ per kWh. And once I've taken the step of giving up the free supercharger, delivery time is no longer a restraint. I may push delivery back to June of July. I'm thinking that HUD that's going into the Model 3 will get volume tested in the S and X before the 3 goes into production. I might want to wait for that.

Reactions: Footbag
My OA just called me back and confirmed what everyone has been saying as well -- no 100D with unlimited supercharging.

It's a bit of a bummer because we've been waiting for the 100D for a while now and decided to pull the trigger on a 90D for March delivery (confirmed in December) when our OA used the "order now to lock in unlimited supercharging before the end of the year and delay until March if you think the 100D will come out" sales tactic on us.

Since we are confirmed, it's now 500 bucks for the change order if we were willing to give up the unlimited supercharging, but we were better off just not ordering at all in December and just ordering now.

Not only HUD, for its own sake, but maybe the Ghosting will be addressed in a way that it is arguably gone poof!

Than we have the perhaps only via factory install, faster SUpercharging capability.

And then the missing rear vents in the 5 seat X configuration which makes it very very shetchy to put large breed dogs, for example, in the way back of X.

And then the possibilty/likliehood that there will be package deals for vehicle, roof, home batteries, etc..

And then whatever else will be incorporated/addressed in builds going forward-i.e., wiper issues, general HVAC issues, etc..

OTOH, my change/confirm date is Jan 22,2017, for Free Supercharging. Still weighing it. If Tesla said ok to upgrade to 100D, I and, I suspect, almost all similar reservation holders would go for that.

Thank you very much

FURY

My advise is for anyone who can switch to the 100D from the 90D for 3 to 3.5k and lose super charging should just do it. Here is the math....

It's not about the money, for me anyway. It's about the psychological difference between driving on a trip with a per mile overhead and driving with none. I can happily ignore depreciation and tire cost (per mile), but paying for charging ruins that free feeling. For me it's an important difference. And no, I'm not saying it makes sense in any objective way, but many things about buying a car don't.

It's not about the money, for me anyway. It's about the psychological difference between driving on a trip with a per mile overhead and driving with none. I can happily ignore depreciation and tire cost (per mile), but paying for charging ruins that free feeling. For me it's an important difference. And no, I'm not saying it makes sense in any objective way, but many things about buying a car don't.

Why would you admit to being irrational and playing in the stock market with a screen name of 'Bet TSLA'?

Figure out how much money FUSC is worth to you, throw that same amount into TSLA or some income ETF and you'll find out that the $20 bucks a year you spend on SC is not worth the time to make your post.

Any Tesla does not make any sense compared to an ICE alternative for many reasons. However, within the choice there are things that make sense and those that don't. Once you made the decision to buy a 75k+ car, $20 bucks a year in SC credits making any difference one way or the other is exceptionally silly, don't you think?

Why would you admit to being irrational and playing in the stock market with a screen name of 'Bet TSLA'?

Figure out how much money FUSC is worth to you, throw that same amount into TSLA or some income ETF and you'll find out that the $20 bucks a year you spend on SC is not worth the time to make your post.

Any Tesla does not make any sense compared to an ICE alternative for many reasons. However, within the choice there are things that make sense and those that don't. Once you made the decision to buy a 75k+ car, $20 bucks a year in SC credits making any difference one way or the other is exceptionally silly, don't you think?

Hmm. Gambling in the stock market is supposed to be rational? Who knew? I enjoy gambling. Am I admitting to something I should be ashamed of?

How much is FUSC worth to me? So far I have been driving on long distance trips about 8000 miles per year, mostly in California, and often in bad weather. So, treating it rationally we're talking about (at 2.5kWh/mile) 2600kWh/yr driving less 400kWh free is 2200kWh at $0.20/kWh is $440/yr. Yes, it would be easy to set aside a few thousand out of my TSLA winnings and declare my supercharging paid for. It wouldn't have quite the same effect for me, but it's an approach.

Personally, I think spending more than $25K on a car is exceptionally silly. But I've done that. I don't mind being silly when it works for me. Might not work for others, but so what?

Sometimes I want tesla to make upgrades once a year so the people that buy a car can have "the last one" at least for 1yr.

I feel that I'm going to take possession of an old car in March
Traditional car companies offer this. It sucks. I'm glad the tech is moving faster than my budget. That's rare in most industries. (And no, it's not because I have a big budget. It's because changes are glacial in many industries.)

It's about the psychological difference between driving on a trip with a per mile overhead and driving with none.
Completely understand this. Part of why I took the plunge on 12/31.

It's like the difference between paying for dialup by the minute vs. a monthly flat rate -- even if the per-play dialup ends up actually cheaper for your typical usage.

Reactions: Cowby
Completely understand this. Part of why I took the plunge on 12/31.

It's like the difference between paying for dialup by the minute vs. a monthly flat rate -- even if the per-play dialup ends up actually cheaper for your typical usage.
I feel the same way. One other fun thing to think about... if the current cars really achieve level 5 and can drive across the country autonomously with no driver... how cool would it be to fly out somewhere and have your car waiting for you for free? I seriously doubt it will happen. Would require so many regulation changes, automated super chargers, etc. - but it is fun to think about.

The car is all about fun so I am happy with my MX 90D that was delivered in December.

Reactions: Cowby
The other issue in addition to the 90D being obsolete, as some have said...in relation to battery capacity, is whether the autonomous functions or AP3.0 will obsolete the current AP2 hardware, especially with the very recent top tier hires, by TESLA.

Just another reason that a case can be made for the cancellation of current orders that are pending confirmations.

Thank you very much

FURY

One thing worth noting though it won't tip the scales greatly... 400kwh ~= 1000 miles is based on target efficiency. If you speed or have terrible winds you will end up with much less than 1000 miles for your 400kwh and in that case the unlimited SC is actually nice. On a few S road trips I've been on we drive Smart until we're good on range the race to the charger. I'd rather wait next to the car or power napping a few extra min than sitting in the car for longer driving. Everyone's different though!

Thanks for posting this. Helped me decide to cancel 90 and wait.

I'm going with the free supercharger for life. kWh is only $0.20 now. What will it be in 5 years when state and federal governments decide to impose taxes on purchasing electricity. Cell phones, Directv, ISPs all have serious taxes which comprise of most of the bill. I've had my S for over 3 years, 77K miles and never an issue with range.

You have an amazing attitude for taking it on the chain twice on the same vehicle. We all need to get our collective heads together and
strategize your next Tesla for optimal purchase window.